Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cuba Tears Down The Wall

Default Re: Cuba Tears Down The Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Most Americans support opening up to Cuba.
    ... and their government is listening:

The U.S. government masterminded the creation of a "Cuban Twitter" -- a communications network designed to stir unrest and undermine the communist government in Cuba, built with secret shell companies and financed through foreign banks.
    No, not RT, Fox News.

I particularly like this bit.

USAID is flying the American flag and should be recognized around the globe as an honest broker of doing good.
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 03-04-2014 at 08:49 PM.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Whatever happens in Cuba I hope it works well for the citizens, I'm just glad to have visited there before it gets MacDonaldized, and reverts back to an American theme park like it was in the 50's..

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    ... and their government is listening:

No, not RT, Fox News.

I particularly like this bit.
    Everyone recognizes that Cuban policy is held hostage by the 1st generation Cuban immigrants in South Florida. They care about the issue and raise hell at any sign of change. The rest of the country doesn't care and just shrugs. 2nd generation Cubans don't care as much. When their parents die off the policy will likely change.

The word from USAID is that they were simply being "discreet".

Here's a seven minute interview with one of the AP journalists who broke the story.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/u-s-u...-dissent-cuba/
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Everyone recognizes that Cuban policy is held hostage by the 1st generation Cuban immigrants in South Florida. They care about the issue and raise hell at any sign of change. The rest of the country doesn't care and just shrugs.
    Just like everyone recognises that Ukrainian policy is held hostage by the U.S.-Ukraine Foundation and their corporate sponsors? They too seem to care quite a lot about the issue and and they certainly raised hell on the Maidan at a sign of change and surely the rest of the country doesn't care and just shrugs.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Just like everyone recognises that Ukrainian policy is held hostage by the U.S.-Ukraine Foundation and their corporate sponsors? They too seem to care quite a lot about the issue and and they certainly raised hell on the Maidan at a sign of change and surely the rest of the country doesn't care and just shrugs.

Not even close. The Cuban population is twice the size of the Ukrainian.The Cuban population of "South Florida" alone is almost as large as the Ukrainian population of the entire US. 70% of Cubans live in Florida, much more concentrated than the Ukrainians.

I only recognized 3 or 4 names on that list of corporate sponsors, and not a single individual sponsor, and they only raised $240K or 20 cents per capitia of Uk-Am, in all of 2011, hardly inspiring. The Cubans in Florida, could pull that in, at just one fundraising lunch. Ileana Ros-Lethian of Galway Che statue fame currently has $2M in her primary re-election fund. Florida has 27 electoral districts, so at least 54 candidates raising money for the General Election and many more than that, maybe 250 raising money for the primary. Of course not all are Cuban, and not all will raise $2M but if 30 raise $2M and 50 raise $500k you're well on the way to $100M, so no contest really.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Everyone recognizes that Cuban policy is held hostage by the 1st generation Cuban immigrants in South Florida. They care about the issue and raise hell at any sign of change. The rest of the country doesn't care and just shrugs. 2nd generation Cubans don't care as much. When their parents die off the policy will likely change.

The word from USAID is that they were simply being "discreet".

Here's a seven minute interview with one of the AP journalists who broke the story.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/u-s-u...-dissent-cuba/

Naaa... Conspiracy theory again....
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Not even close. The Cuban population is twice the size of the Ukrainian.The Cuban population of "South Florida" alone is almost as large as the Ukrainian population of the entire US. 70% of Cubans live in Florida, much more concentrated than the Ukrainians.

I only recognized 3 or 4 names on that list of corporate sponsors, and not a single individual sponsor, and they only raised $240K or 20 cents per capitia of Uk-Am, in all of 2011, hardly inspiring. The Cubans in Florida, could pull that in, at just one fundraising lunch. Ileana Ros-Lethian of Galway Che statue fame currently has $2M in her primary re-election fund. Florida has 27 electoral districts, so at least 54 candidates raising money for the General Election and many more than that, maybe 250 raising money for the primary. Of course not all are Cuban, and not all will raise $2M but if 30 raise $2M and 50 raise $500k you're well on the way to $100M, so no contest really.
    But ZZZZZZ went belly up, anyway.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

I only recognized 3 or 4 names on that list of corporate sponsors, and not a single individual sponsor, and they only raised $240K or 20 cents per capitia of Uk-Am, in all of 2011, hardly inspiring.
    $240K me hole. At an event of the U.S.-Ukraine Foundation (sponsored by Chevron) last December, Ms Nuland claimed 5 billion dollar have been invested in the regime change.

And it's not just The Coca-Cola Company, Raytheon and ExxonMobil. Have a look at the Executive Committee of the US-Ukraine Business Council: Cargill, Dupont, Monsanto, John Deere, Boeing, Westinghouse, Chevron. The list goes on and on, reads like the Who's Who of the agro, energy and arms industry. Of course, they make a lot less noise than your Floridian Cubans.
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 07-04-2014 at 01:16 AM.

$240K me hole. At an event of the U.S.-Ukraine Foundation (sponsored by Chevron) last December, Ms Nuland claimed 5 billion dollar have been invested in the regime change.

And it's not just The Coca-Cola Company, Raytheon and ExxonMobil. Have a look at the Executive Committee of the US-Ukraine Business Council: Cargill, Dupont, Monsanto, John Deere, Boeing, Westinghouse, Chevron. The list goes on and on, reads like the Who's Who of the agro, energy and arms industry. Of course, they make a lot less noise than your Floridian Cubans.
    My mistake on the $240K. I did see that number on their site.

You're moving the goalposts. The Executive Committee of the US-Ukraine Business Council: that you cited above is not the same organization that you originally cited. he U.S.-Ukraine Foundation and their corporate sponsors

This from 2012 annual report of the US-Ukraine Foundation you originally cited..It's still chickenfeed when compared to the money the Cubans will raise, and the Cubans will do that every two years.

To support its mission in FY 2012, the Foundation raised $1,059,123 and had expenses of $994,082. In-

kind services totaling $260,945 also aided the Foundation’s programs

http://www.usukraine.org/pdf/2012-An...port-rev-1.pdf

It doesn't really matter, now does it. USUF and USUBC are very much intertwined and united in their goals to "advance Ukraine as a cornerstone of regional stability" and "assure that the U.S. business viewpoint is known and given highest consideration in the formulation of U.S. Government policies towards Ukraine".

Anyhoo, this is the wrong thread.

Doesn't cost much to be a big wig at USUBC. The $5B Nuland mentioned is "Business Investment" as opposed to the "political donations" of the Cubans. Different animal entirely.

Membership in the U.S.-Ukraine Business Council (USUBC) is open to companies, associations and foundations which are conducting or pursuing business in or with Ukraine, have business ties to the United States, support the purpose and mission of USUBC and are approved by the USUBC executive committee. USUBC offers two levels of membership:
    1. Regular membership includes:
    A. Regular membership for corporations, partnerships and other business entities from all business sectors.
    B. Regular membership for small business companies, partnerships and other entities from all business sectors.
    2. Associate Membership includes trade associations, foundations, PVO's and other not- for-profit type organizations.
    If you are interested in applying for membership, please download our Membership Information Form and e-mail it to Morgan Williams at [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or fax it to +1 (202) 216-0997, or if you are interested in learning more about USUBC and its mission, feel free to contact us.

ANNUAL DUES: As of January of 2013:

[1] President's Membership Advisory Council: $7,500 per year
    [2] Regular Corporate Membership: $5,000 per year

The $5B Nuland mentioned is "Business Investment"
    A "business investment" that needs protecting and I see two major defense contractors listed. Honi soit qui mal y pense...
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 07-04-2014 at 04:31 AM.

The US is set to lift travel and money restrictions.

http://www.forexlive.com/blog/2014/1...ns-to-cuba-dj/
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

It's great news but it will take Obama some effort to get the sanctions lifted, congressmen from both sides have already come out against it. Also great to see the remaining 3 of the Miami five get released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe this deliberately doublespeak thread title could be changed...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast