Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Máire Geoghegan-Quinn Gifts the Pensions back to State

Default Máire Geoghegan-Quinn Gifts the Pensions back to State

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0426/pensions.html

Looks like the pressure is mounting at the top.
    Mr Lenihan said the guarantee was “the cheapest bailout” compared with bank rescues in other countries, including the UK and the US, where “billions and billions of taxpayers’ money are being poured into financial institutions” - October 24 2008

Default Re: Máire Geoghegan-Quinn Gifts the Pensions back to State

Nice bit of spin. If you read the article closely it says that she's gifting back the pension for the duration of her term as EU Commissioner.

That doesn't mean she's giving up the Irish pensions. It means she's making a donation while in current office. That means that when she is no longer an EU Commissioner the pension payments resume into her account along with Euro pension(s?).

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    Nice bit of spin. If you read the article closely it says that she's gifting back the pension for the duration of her term as EU Commissioner.

That doesn't mean she's giving up the Irish pensions. It means she's making a donation while in current office. That means that when she is no longer an EU Commissioner the pension payments resume into her account along with Euro pension(s?).
    She was hardly expected to give it up for life?
    Mr Lenihan said the guarantee was “the cheapest bailout” compared with bank rescues in other countries, including the UK and the US, where “billions and billions of taxpayers’ money are being poured into financial institutions” - October 24 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Xray View Post
    She was hardly expected to give it up for life?
    She's so hot about money money which makes it harder for her to give it up. *sigh*

Pure greed as she doesn't think of giving it to her charity of choice. That tells us more about her.

Fair play to her for doing it, she didn't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by disability student View Post
    She's so hot about money money which makes it harder for her to give it up. *sigh*

Pure greed as she doesn't think of giving it to her charity of choice. That tells us more about her.
    Why would you think more of someone for giving away their pension to charity? To be honest, when I see the politicians and celebs giving money to a charitable body rather than taking a pay cut I become cynical and suspect they're doing it because they can claim 41% of their donation back through tax relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo View Post
    Fair play to her for doing it, she didn't have to.
    That's double standards by herself as she should start forego her teacher's pension before she became a TD. Not many T.D's did as Micheal Martin decided to keep it.

100k.

Its a start, Now FF only owe us 70 odd billion.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    Why would you think more of someone for giving away their pension to charity? To be honest, when I see the politicians and celebs giving money to a charitable body rather than taking a pay cut I become cynical and suspect they're doing it because they can claim 41% of their donation back through tax relief.
    Yeah you're right as i had forgotten about tax relief re donation. How about giving it all back to the state where they can use her 'extra' monies to special needs et al??

I'm looking to elect people next time around who'll work for the average wage and pension.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C Flower View Post
    I'm looking to elect people next time around who'll work for the average wage and pension.
    Pay peanuts....
    I am happy to pay big money for big jobs. I am not happy to pay them for people making a b****** out of it.

Her 'gift' is of only a temporary nature until she leaves her EU commissioner post. Then she will get it all back when she retires. It's a JOKE really.

I wonder is that a way of appeasing the union people as regards to the Croke park 'deal'.???

Great news. Should cover Berties transport expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by disability student View Post
    Her 'gift' is of only a temporary nature until she leaves her EU commissioner post. Then she will get it all back when she retires. It's a JOKE really.

I wonder is that a way of appeasing the union people as regards to the Croke park 'deal'.???
    I don't think she will get it back. She will always be down that money. I think if you had to give up a lifetime of pension to take a job for five years you would have limited up take.

I don't want to be defending her income but she is entitled to her pension as it was agreed when she paid in. Everyone is. I think it is reasonable to forgo it while in public office though.

Quote Originally Posted by Xray View Post
    Pay peanuts....
    I am happy to pay big money for big jobs. I am not happy to pay them for people making a b****** out of it.
    Fact is, we pay 166 people 100k plus expenses a year.

There job is to get re elected. Why the hell would we pay somebody for 5 years, when their job is to ensure that we pay them for another 5 years.

This is a total waste of money. If you are not a Minister, then we do not need you.

And then we elect local eejits to sit on councils, when all the decisions are made by the un elected, but qualified County Manager.

Our system was designed to keep the local tribes happy and prevent another Civil War. It has had its day and needs to be radically overhauled.

Break it up and start again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast