Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: David Norris: "A Kick against the Pricks"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22,431

    Default David Norris: "A Kick against the Pricks"

    Promises to be an engrossing look back at the election. The IT have an exclusive extract today but also manage to add a justified kick at RTE at the bottom of the promotional piece
    SENATOR DAVID Norris has described how he was panicked into divulging the letter that put paid to his chances of winning the presidential election last year.

    In a book about the campaign called A Kick Against the Pricks, the long-serving Trinity College Senator outlines the sequence of events that destroyed his campaign.
    RTÉ refused to accept the initial wording of an advertisement from The Irish Times promoting its extract from the book on the basis that the word “pricks” in the title was unacceptable. The phrase is a biblical reference.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...324961004.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,113

    Default Re: David Norris: "A Kick against the Pricks"

    He just doesn't seem to get it - he seems to think he was ruined by being "tricked" into publishing his letter and blames the media for scuppering his shot at the presidency, something he seemed to think he was entitled to, rather than himself for writing the damn letters in the first place!

    He only has himself to blame for writing such despicable letters, he ruined his own campaign. In his delusional, self important world he sees nothing at all wrong with his letter - he remains proud of them. Like Gallagher it was his own stupidity which derailed his campaign, and like Gallagher he should stop blaming the media and look in the mirror.

    The book, by the look of that extract, is him simply digging deeper, still ignorant of how those letters and comments look to the general public. He's stuck for a few quid too isn't he?

    I supported Norris right up until Martin McGuinness entered the race and I have to say he really let some of his supporters down very badly.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: David Norris: "A Kick against the Pricks"

    Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    Promises to be an engrossing look back at the election. The IT have an exclusive extract today but also manage to add a justified kick at RTE at the bottom of the promotional piece


    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...324961004.html
    At the time of election and the months before it, regardless of what was said I got grounded down trying to stand up for Norris . The right wing scum, some of who inhabit other Irish political sites seized upon the letter and used this as a tool to try and bring Norris's presidential campaign to a halt, it was disgusting.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    5,113

    Default Re: David Norris: "A Kick against the Pricks"

    Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    At the time of election and the months before it, regardless of what was said I got grounded down trying to stand up for Norris . The right wing scum, some of who inhabit other Irish political sites seized upon the letter and used this as a tool to try and bring Norris's presidential campaign to a halt, it was disgusting.
    I thought the letter was very dodgy to say the least. He even cited himself as a possible presidential candidate in it while asking for clemency for a rather disturbing individual. He did himself no favors by refusing to release the other letters - who knows what could be in them? He certainly was not presidential material. It got to the stage for me were the only positive he had was that he was gay - and I'm unsure as to whether I should even have factored that fact in.

    The right man got the job in the end. Although he wasn't without some rather massive almost crippling faults of his own.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: David Norris: "A Kick against the Pricks"

    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    I thought the letter was very dodgy to say the least. He even cited himself as a possible presidential candidate in it while asking for clemency for a rather disturbing individual. He did himself no favors by refusing to release the other letters - who knows what could be in them? He certainly was not presidential material. It got to the stage for me were the only positive he had was that he was gay - and I'm unsure as to whether I should even have factored that fact in.

    The right man got the job in the end. Although he wasn't without some rather massive almost crippling faults of his own.

    He was a number of right men. Norris's letter discussed the concept of Eros which was love in ancient times in Greece and Rome and was accepted then as it was seen to reinforce bonds. A lot of people wrongly saw this as an endorsement of pedrasty which is not what he was saying at all. It was a purely historical reference. In the end when Higgins got the job it was a positive move as no person was going to get it. Whether Norris was gay or not did not have much to do with it, he got my vote as he fought for the decriminilisation of homosexuality and that alone meant I can live my life more openly, that is why he got my vote. As for not releasing the other letters, well they are all private correspondence I dont see the big deal. Im not going to publish my e mails or texts online for the world to pry into !
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,988

    Default Re: David Norris: "A Kick against the Pricks"

    That excerpt in the IT was interesting in that it showed a lot of what was wrong with Irish "journalism". The termination notice from Browne was good though.

    Regards...jmcc

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22,431

    Default Re: David Norris: "A Kick against the Pricks"

    David Norris coming up on the Late Late.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22,431

    Default Re: David Norris: "A Kick against the Pricks"

    "How are you?"
    "I'm a bit like the census: broken down by age, sex and religion"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22,431

    Default Re: David Norris: "A Kick against the Pricks"

    David feels he was 'monstered' by the press.
    Well, at least he's helping to introduce a new term to the nation

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,983

    Default Re: David Norris: "A Kick against the Pricks"

    David Norris is seriously ill with cancer, following hepatitis and is in St. Vincents.

    My very best wishes to him.

    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0626/458908-david-norris/
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: David Norris: "A Kick against the Pricks"

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    David Norris is seriously ill with cancer, following hepatitis and is in St. Vincents.

    My very best wishes to him.

    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0626/458908-david-norris/
    Owe the man a fair whack, thanks to him the LGBT community can live openly and not in fear of being criminalised. Wishing him the very best, lovely bloke in person and quite the character!
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us