Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chomsky on the Tea Party - Dark Clouds of Fascism Gathering

Default Chomsky on the Tea Party - Dark Clouds of Fascism Gathering

Chomsky has been speaking about the need to take the Tea Party movement seriously.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/04...ism-gathering/

Appearing in Madison,Wisconsin last week, Chomsky, who frequently observes of America that there is a permanent mass base for fascism, warned about the appeal of the Tea Party, though he shares many of their negative sentiments on the U.S. government.

“I’m just old enough to have heard a number of Hitler’s speeches on the radio,” he said, “and I have a memory of the texture and the tone of the cheering mobs, and I have the dread sense of the dark clouds of fascism gathering” here at home.

Chomsky was speaking to more than 1,000 people at the Orpheum Theatre in Madison, Wisconsin, where he received the University of Wisconsin’s A.E. Havens Center’s award for lifetime contribution to critical scholarship.
    “The level of anger and fear is like nothing I can compare in my lifetime,” he said. [Matt Rothschild, The Progressive; April 12, 2010]
    Chomsky says that compares with the Depression of the 30s, people have no hope and there is a vacuum of leadership on the left. There is a similar situation in Europe, with a fragmented and disoriented left and growing anger and frustration in the population as a whole.

Video of Chomsky’s address that takes Democrats and Republicans to task for kowtowing to corporate power. Chomsky’s address includes analysis of the Vietnam War, intellectual history in the United States, the American academy and the political culture.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy9SmbFb0Q0&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- NOAM CHOMSKY, Havens Center, Orpheum Theater, Madison WI 4/2010[/ame]
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Default Re: Chomsky on the Tea Party - Dark Clouds of Fascism Gathering

We will be hearing reference to his Jewish background soon no doubt ... he is probably part of some global conspiracy to submit the teabaggers to world government.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    We will be hearing reference to his Jewish background soon no doubt ... he is probably part of some global conspiracy to submit the teabaggers to world government.
    I'd be inclined to agree with what BrendanGalway said on another thread - that the bigger issue is the political vacuum on the left.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

People Korps Guest

I just wrote a reply that got zapped as I was logged out......any movement that seeks to unite the left and the right in current climates is suspect. The teabagers are yet another far right inspired anti democratic whirlwind that threaten our freedom despite their rethoric.

The comfort blanket of totalitarianism is an ever present danger in the current irrational fear festival.
    The Tea Bag so called movement can only be defeated by thorough analysis and deep and detailed dissemination of findings to interested parties, in some ways like the way Libertas was dissected and served up to its constituent parts but on a more profound, detailed and precise level.

Hi PK.

Did you perchance read my posts over yonder where I explained the differences between a Paulite teabagger and a Palin teabagger

Quote Originally Posted by C Flower View Post
    Chomsky has been speaking about the need to take the Tea Party movement seriously.

Chomsky says that compares with the Depression of the 30s, people have no hope and there is a vacuum of leadership on the left. There is a similar situation in Europe, with a fragmented and disoriented left and growing anger and frustration in the population as a whole.

Video of Chomsky’s address that takes Democrats and Republicans to task for kowtowing to corporate power. Chomsky’s address includes analysis of the Vietnam War, intellectual history in the United States, the American academy and the political culture.
    It's crap like this that makes me half-believe the notion that Chomsky is part of the "controlled opposition."

People Korps Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Almanac View Post
    It's crap like this that makes me half-believe the notion that Chomsky is part of the "controlled opposition."
    Society can accept an academic voice but a revolutionary one? ie action not words?
    Without going into conspiracy theories, let me just say that were Chomsky advocating leading his revolution I would be more inclined to accept what he says as anything beyond mere corroboration of a thread of feeling among certain sections of society.

Quote Originally Posted by People Korps View Post
    Society can accept an academic voice but a revolutionary one? ie action not words?
    Without going into conspiracy theories, let me just say that were Chomsky advocating leading his revolution I would be more inclined to accept what he says as anything beyond mere corroboration of a thread of feeling among certain sections of society.
    There is nothing remotely fascist about the tea parties. It's a perfectly rational response to the greatest bank robbery in history.

People Korps Guest

There is nothing remotely fascist about the tea parties. It's a perfectly rational response to the greatest bank robbery in history.
    No it is not.
    It is basically an orchestrated populist knee jerk facebook app of a popular movement invented by the far right.

You'd think the banks weren't being robbed under the republicans the way they have put themselves at the head of it...

As George Bush said, "Fool me once shame on ... fool me twice ...."

Umm .. what did he actually say?

http://news.ie.msn.com/world/article...ntid=153441714

A Tea Party win in the Primaries -

In Kentucky, voters opted for a conservative Tea Party newcomer in the Republican Senate primary over a handpicked Republican favourite.
    Elsewhere, veteran senator Arlen Specter saw his bid for a sixth term ended yesterday with a loss to fellow Democrat Joe Sestak in Pennsylvania's primary vote, while two-term Democratic senator Blanche Lincoln also struggled in Arkansas after failing to win the necessary majority of the Senate primary vote.

Conservative Rand Paul easily won the party nomination over secretary of state Trey Grayson in a Kentucky race seen as an early test of the loosely organised Tea Party movement, a grass-roots section of the Republican Party that is pulling it to the right

Mr Paul, a doctor and son of libertarian Republican Representative Ron Paul, rode a wave of voter anger with the help of Tea Party activists who oppose runaway federal spending and favour more limited government.
    "We have come to take our government back," he told supporters in Bowling Green, Kentucky. "This Tea Party movement is a message to Washington that we are unhappy and we want things done differently."
    Mr Paul will face state attorney general Jack Conway, who won the Democratic primary, in November.

Chomsky's a bit of a drama queen isnt he?

The whole Teabagger/Libertarian movement is a product of the USA being founded on an idealogly unsuited to present day socio-economic realities. These people are fantasists who will never get anywhere near power...Best just to laugh at them.
    For to be poised against fatality, to meet adverse conditions gracefully, is more than simple endurance; it is an act of aggression, a positive triumph.
    Thomas Mann

Libertarianism harks back to an era when America was a vast unexploited territory with seemingly limitless supplies of game, minerals, fur, timber etc. All that was needed was a bit of genocide of the people there already, and it was there for the taking. Self sufficiency was a reality for a lot of people.

It's a consistent strain of American politics, and in an era in which the US is getting half its oil by import, totally unrealistic. It's racist, hysterical and deeply reactionary.

I would agree with PK in taking movements like this very seriously.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 19-05-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Kev Bar Guest

Noam - A supporter of the Khmer Rouge in the early stages. Not a crew you would associate with controlled opposition.

Kev Bar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by C Flower View Post
    Libertarianism harks back to an era when America was a vast unexploited territory with seemingly limitless supplies of game, minerals, fur, timber etc. All that was needed was a bit of genocide of the people there already, and it was there for the taking. Self sufficiency was a reality for a lot of people.

It's a consistent strain of American politics, and in an era in which the US is getting half its oil by import, totally unrealistic. It's racist, hysterical and deeply reactionary.

I would agree with PK in taking movements like this very seriously.
    Nancy Pelosi felt the same when in tears she proclaimed the last time she had felt such irresponsible language being used by those who should know better was in the lead up to Milk's assasination.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast