Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryanair 'unexpected landings', Spanish fines and alleged tax evasion in Italy

Default Re: Ryanair 'unexpected landings', Spanish fines and alleged tax evasion in Italy

Ryanair isn't too happy about last night's Channel 4 documentary.

[QUOTE]
    In an internal survey of 1,000 pilots, two-thirds said they did not feel comfortable raising safety issues through the airline’s internal system, while nine out of ten said it did not have an ‘open and transparent safety culture’.
    /QUOTE]
    [QUOTE]
    The survey was leaked to Channel 4 for a Dispatches documentary, in which an anonymous pilot claimed employees were scared to speak out to bosses about safety fears.The pilot added: ‘It is really difficult to talk to them and the tone used is really unusual for an airline. It’s usually threats and bullying.’Three-quarters of Ryanair pilots are reported to be on zero-hours contracts and must pay for all their expenses, including uniforms, identity cards, transport and hotel accommodation.
    Pilots claim the contracts make them more likely to fly even when they feel unwell, because they do not get sick pay.
    /QUOTE]
    In the documentary, Ryanair: Secrets From The Cockpit, to be broadcast tonight, one said: ‘About 70 per cent of our pilots, if not more, are on a [zero-hours] contract. They get paid only if they fly. So that’s the pressure.’In April this year, several hundred pilots signed a petition calling on Irish and European regulators to examine the impact of Ryanair’s employment contracts on safety.
    It said the ‘confusing, uncertain and unpredictable employment situation’ was causing ‘stress and worry’ for pilots and was becoming ‘an increasing distraction in daily flight operations’.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2btHflMcT
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Last edited by PaddyJoe; 13-08-2013 at 10:29 PM.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Default Re: Ryanair 'unexpected landings', Spanish fines and alleged tax evasion in Italy

IAA has disagreed with the programme

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...tack-1.1492773
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Ryanair pilot John Goss has been sacked. He was the only pilot to speak on the record to Dispatches. Apparently Ryanair is also going to sue him.
    https://twitter.com/mktighe

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    Ryanair pilot John Goss has been sacked. He was the only pilot to speak on the record to Dispatches. Apparently Ryanair is also going to sue him.
    https://twitter.com/mktighe
    Does MOL have a trump card that he can play? The defamation suit could work out two ways and either paint the pilot in a bad light or could inevitably lead to another mess for Ryanair and they are left with egg all over the face, never a bad option at the end of the day. Goss has an examplary record and is an experienced pilot. Looking at the Ryanair history this case if it goes ahead for defamation could go either way so I wouldnt like to predict an outcome!
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Given Ireland's record of regulating the banks, I would not have confidence in the Irish Aviation Authority to be any better.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...tary-1.1495631

Goss has left himself in a tricky position. Ryanair have said

“We will not allow a Ryanair employee to defame our safety on national television just three weeks after he confirmed in writing to Ryanair that he had no concerns with safety and no reason to make any confidential safety report to either the IAA or Ryanair.”
    Is this the trump card Ryanair have?

On the other hand Ryanair Pilots Group have siad

“Is it any surprise that over 1,000 Ryanair pilots have indicated in a safety attitude survey that they are reluctant and fearful of making safety reports through internal or external channels? ” Mr van Zwol said.

Our old buddy Mr Tweed again. Aren't there any other 'defamation' experts on the island?

Ryanair has initiated High Court defamation proceedings against a pilot who appeared in a documentary which made allegations about its safety practices.
    The airline today began the action against Captain John Goss in the High Court in Dublin, lawyer Paul Tweed of Johnson solicitors said in a statement.
    The legal firm had been instructed to “vigorously pursue” the action with a view to “obtaining total vindication” from the pilot of “Ryanair’s industry leading safety which has been independently verified as being on a par with the safest airlines in Europe,” the statement said.Last week, the airline initiated defamation proceedings against Channel 4 and Blakeway Productions, which produces Dispatches; Associated Newspapers which owns the MailOnline; and the Mirror Group, publisher of the Daily Mirror.
    The Ryanair Pilot Group (RPG) last week accused of the airline of trying to “suppress discussion” about airline safety after it sacked Capt Goss
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...ilot-1.1502351

A London solicitor is looking closely at Ryanair pilots' unusual contracts..
    The system owes its nature to tax law, and the large cases division of the Irish Revenue was consulted at the time it was being devised, according to Liam McNamara, of McNamara & Associates.“It was known to the Revenue and done with their blessing,” says McNamara, who says his firm is no longer involved in supplying service companies for Ryanair pilots.
    One of the key attractions of the system for Ryanair is that it shields it from the obligations created by employment law.
    A copy of a standard Brookfield contract seen by The Irish Times includes a clause where the signing pilot agrees that he or she is not an employee of Ryanair or Brookfield, and will not at any time be deemed to be an employee.
    It also stipulates that Brookfield is not an agent of Ryanair and has no power to bind Ryanair in any matter and that, while Brookfield will endeavour to locate work for the pilot, there is no obligation on it to do so.
    It also stipulates that the contract can be terminated with the pilot if he or she publishes derogatory statements in writing or on the internet, in public or private chatrooms, about Brookfield or Ryanair.
    Garnett acted for Dutch pilot Robertus Van Boekel, who flew for Ryanair between 2009 and 2011 and who successfully contested in the English courts a €5,000 claim for damages for breach of contract which Brookfield brought against him after he gave it three months’ notice.
    In his judgment in the case in July, Judge Hand QC, of the Central London County Court, said that, in 2009, when Van Boekel was seeking work with Ryanair, the airline “did not wish to employ pilots directly or enter into contracts with them for the provision of their services”.
    In order to fly for Ryanair, Van Boekel was asked by Brookfield to choose one firm of accountants from a list of approved Irish accountants and to use a service company provided by the firm he selected for his work with Ryanair.
    This arrangement is part of a system that involves pilots being made directors and shareholders in service companies. The affairs of these companies are managed for the pilots by the selected Irish accountancy firm. A number of pilots might be director/ shareholders of the same service company.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/s...ment-1.1541382

Michael O'Leary on Prime Time now. Pre-recorded interview with David McCullagh.

So can any Irish CEO ring up RTE and arrange a spot of free marketing on Prime Time?

Very apt typo there..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24371633

French court has fined Ryanair €8m after it found that it had broken local labour laws when employing 120 people between 2007 and 2010 at is Marsaille base. Part of this is contributions to pension funds and unemployment charges.

Ryanair is suing another of its former pilots.
    Ryanair is suing a former pilot for defamation over remarks which the airline alleges wrongly meant it compromises the lives and safety of its passengers.Ian Somner is defending the action on grounds what he said was “honest opinion” pertaining to a matter of public interest — the alleged “adverse effect” of Ryanair’s corporate culture on passenger safety.
    He is also pleading it is true to state the corporate culture, management structure and way Ryanair deals with its staff jeopardises the safety of passengers by placing pilots under abnormal stress and pressure. Ryanair, he claims, reacts in a “very aggressive and angry” manner to any perception of criticism so pilots are fearful to raise issues.
    Among various matters in his defence, he alleges there was a “potential disaster scenario” at Spain’s Valencia airport on July 26th 2012, in which three Ryanair planes declared a “fuel Mayday” because their pilots feared they could not land without going below the legally required level of final reserve fuel.That came about as a direct result of a “culture” within Ryanair of prioritising fuel efficiency even at the expense of passenger safety, he claims. Ryanair encourages its pilots not to carry extra fuel on flights because its additional weight will lead to increased fuel consumption, he alleges.
    Mr Somner’s counsel Rossa Fanning BL said his client contends Ryanair operates a “fuel burn league” listing the individual fuel consumption of each of its captains, ranking at the bottom those considered to use “too much” fuel while complimenting those at the top.
    The defamation case against Mr Somner, with an address in Edinburgh, arises from remarks by him during a two part tv documentary entitled ‘Mayday! Mayday!’, broadcast on the internet by a Dutch tv station, KRO, on December 28th 2012 and January 3rd 2013.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...arks-1.1958133

Great progress being made by the Ryanair workforce in gaining Trade Union recognition and representation.

Over 60% Of Cabin Crew Now Covered By Union Recognition Agreements

Ryanair today (19 July) announced that it has signed its third cabin crew union recognition agreement with Ver.di Union. Ver.di will now be the representative body for all directly employed Cabin Crew operating on Ryanair aircraft in Germany.

This cabin crew recognition agreement follows extensive negotiations with Ver.di and covers the German market. Ryanair looks forward to working with Ver.di and its Ryanair (Cabin Crew) Company Council to conclude an early CLA for Ryanair’s directly employed cabin crew based in Germany. This agreement follows Ryanair’s first cabin crew recognition deal with the Italian ANPAC/ANPAV unions and second cabin crew agreement with UNITE union in the UK.
    above is from Ryanairs own site here: https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/v...ed-cabin-crew/

Seems a shame that it takes strikes to get the ignoramus O'Leary to do business with Unions, but that seems to be the way it is.

Did anyone else hear Ingrid Miley RTEs Industry and Employment Correspondent on the 1oc news today?

She is a good reporter but today reporting from outside the Ryanair head office where Pilots were mounting a picket she mentioned that many cars were tooting their horns as they passed by. JEEEPERS! she then thought.....that sounds radical for RTE, so she proceeded to tell the listeners that she did not know if they were tooting their horns in support or opposition of the strike. REALLY?

Report on recent depressurisation of Ryanair flight and subsequent injures and emergency landing;

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...ding-1.3565435
    Last edited by eamo; 20-07-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Flew with Ryanair before cos it's cheap.

Recalled that i flew with their newest plane 737. Everything was plastered with bright yellow- an ugly eyesore.

Also i noticed that seats were tightly packed together or crammed together like a pacakge of sardines in a tin.

After that i decided not to fly with Ryanair with 3 hours trip long. Ryanair cabin crew was trying to sell us things on their trolley.

Lot of stories with Ryanair such as my mobile battery went flat within boarding pass. So i searched around for a computer in Dublin airport but found one in Dublin with no paper. So i went to Ryanair desk within 90 mins as they said they charge me 50E for no boarding pass. I explained my problem re mobile and computer with no paper. So one guy with strange hairlooks went off to speak with their supervisor. They both came back to me and questioned me for good 10 mins cos they thought i was making it up. Then i showed them my mobile which finally zipped their mouth.

One thing i learned from this is that they were OUT to make money for their boss. It seems that were the instructions that was drummed into them. Also they have zero interest in their customers when problems arise. They don't give a damn about it as they scoot as far as possible to be invisible.

For example,one trip to Glasgow Celtic game few years ago, which meant that we fly to Prestwick with Ryanair.One of Ryanair crew got very cross cos we never told them that we were deaf as there were 6 of us in the plane. Air host (Ryanair) said to me we cannot allow more than 4 person with disability to be on the plane. I said to him that we stay put and have already paid hotel for that day and the next etc. So they went to their pilot re Ryanair policy of 4 person with disablities. Pilot said they could put us ort boot us out into the next plane with 3 person in this plane and 3 on next Ryanir plane (next day). I refused point blank stating that we are not moving & that amounts to discrimination. We told that we could sue them head on that basis of their stupid policy 4 persons as Easyjet story was already on the news re 5 deaf persons booted out of their plane due to Easyjet company policy. These deaf people sued them in court and won. I told them easyjet story and quite obviously they knew that story.

They decided to let us stay on the plane -phew disaster was averted. However it left us in a very bad taste re Ryanair's company policy on persons with disabilities. Even now some airlines are using their policy to enforce it as they totally lacked disability awareness when it comes dealing with person with any form of disabilities.

Also i was quite concerned with safety record (not their historical safety record) but they were cutting corners which enroachs the safety parameters such as fuel (no extra fuel for the unexpected, 20-25 mins turnaround, their buying new planes which highlights main problem of older planes with problems,emergency landings, young trainees with some hours of experience cos exodus of pilots etc etc. That kept adding up.

That is not the whole story but there is something else behind it that we don't know.

I stopped flying with them except for a good reason. My rule of thumb -fly with Ryanair 1 hour trip max only if i have to, more than 1 hour trip or more longer trip i fly with other airlines.Ryanair is becoming more and more expensive as a friend of mine told me that he booked with them to Spain for 200E at last minute.

Once Ryanair becomes a monopoly then they will raise their flight prices.
    Last edited by disability student; 20-07-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast