Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Judge Calls Travellers "Neanderthals" - Update: Phil Hogan and Billy Ireland Seem to Agree

Default Judge Calls Travellers "Neanderthals" - Update: Phil Hogan and Billy Ireland Seem to Agree

And apparently, not for the first time.

Should a judge who raises the ethnicity of an individual as something compounding or confirming guilt not be

a) required to resign
    b) charged with incitement to hatred ?

http://www.news.msn.ie/judge-travell...92523-Sep2012/
    Last edited by C. Flower; 26-09-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Default Maidir Le: Judge Calls Travellers "Neanderthals"

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post

Should a judge who raises the ethnicity of an individual as something compounding or confirming guilt not be

a) required to resign

a) Yes
    b) Yes

The one group in society that needs to be above and beyond reproach must be members of the Judiciary ... surely!

Yet aren't judges appointed by politicians ... or there is some political input into the appointment of judges.
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Default Re: Judge Calls Travellers "Neanderthals"

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post

a) required to resign

Yes to both. On top of that, every case he's ever presided over where his bias may have affected the outcome, should be looked at and quashed as an unsafe conviction.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by Seán Ryan View Post
    Yes to both. On top of that, every case he's ever presided over where his bias may have affected the outcome, should be looked at and quashed as an unsafe conviction.
    +1

Yes to both too, his impartiality has to be questioned where sentences where handed out..
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

From my own experience of district judges, this gobdaw takes the biscuit. When I was being fitted up by the cops, the bent judge made no animadversions on my background. Usually, upper class folks like our quondam ex-Paedo Fáil TD turned magistrate have the 'decency' to utter their bigoted opinions in the private company of their peers. I suppose Mr. Justice Hughes is out to make a 'name' for himself, like a certain Enoch Powell forty or more years ago...
    "It is we the workers who built these palaces and cities here in Spain and in America and everywhere. We, the workers, can build others to take their place. And better ones! We are not in the least afraid of ruins. We are going to inherit the earth; there is not the slightest doubt about that. The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world here, in our hearts."
    — Buenaventura Durruti

It would be equally wrong to condemn all judges as dithering, elderly alcoholics.
    That would be a terrible thing to do.
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

What I'd like to know is .....what qualifies a person to be designated "a traveller?"
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    What I'd like to know is .....what qualifies a person to be designated "a traveller?"
    Being a member of the Travelling Community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

Quote Originally Posted by Griska View Post
    Being a member of the Travelling Community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers
    Do You mean "Community" as in "The International Community"

I do a lot of traveling ....... am I a Traveller? No?

I see you cite Wiki ....... I guess that settles it.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Do You mean "Community" as in "The International Community"

I do a lot of traveling ....... am I a Traveller? No?

I see you cite Wiki ....... I guess that settles it.
    I guess you're being facetious.
    Do you object to the term "Community" when applied to, say, the Asian community?
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

He did,nt describe travellers as neanderthals, he described some of them as neanderthals.

Pavee point then accused him of being prehistoric, which is akin to calling him a neanderthal.

Why are people getting on their high horse. Some travellers do behave like neanderthals and it is they who give ordinary decent travellers a bad name, not Judges.

I guess you're being facetious.
    Do you object to the term "Community" when applied to, say, the Asian community?
    To me the term "community" is inclusive .... not exclusive.... as used in Asian, International, or Traveller.

To me the term "community" is inclusive .... not exclusive.... as used in Asian, International, or Traveller.
    Semantics, riposte.
    Semantics.
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

Semantics, riposte.
    Semantics.

No Griska .......as a poet I'm authority on semantics. This has got to do with your world view. You are imbibing the wrong propaganda.

No Griska .......as a poet I'm authority on semantics. This has got to do with your world view. You are imbibing the wrong propaganda.
    Ezra Pound was a poet too, but that didn't stop him being a fascist, or make his antisemitic prejudices any more palatable. Talent in a limited sphere does not make one universally infallible. Furthermore, an imprecise grasp of semantics can help in the creation of poetry. Several times I have used words in poems in ways that stretch their usual meanings. Sometimes this has happened due to fuzzy understandings of what those words conventionally mean. That does not invalidate my poetry as poetry, and it is stretching credulity to insist that being a poet makes one an instant expert (just add whiskey!) on semantics and other linguistic matters. Your assertion is all a bit Red Queenish as far as I can make out.
    "It is we the workers who built these palaces and cities here in Spain and in America and everywhere. We, the workers, can build others to take their place. And better ones! We are not in the least afraid of ruins. We are going to inherit the earth; there is not the slightest doubt about that. The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world here, in our hearts."
    — Buenaventura Durruti

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast