Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hillsborough Disaster - Cameron Apologises, Fans Vindicated, Police Misconduct Exposed

Default Hillsborough Disaster - Cameron Apologises, Fans Vindicated, Police Misconduct Exposed

Over a quarter of a century after 96 people died in the Hillsborough stadium, Sheffield, the truth has been acknowledged by the establishment.

The fans always knew.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-disaster.html
    Last edited by DCon; 12-09-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Default Re: Hillsborough Disaster - Cameron Apologises, Fans Vindicated, Police Misconduct Exposed

From Cameron's Statement -

FINDINGS: FAILURE OF THE AUTHORITIES
    First, there is new evidence about how the authorities failed.
    There is a trail of new documents which show the extent to which the safety of the crowd at Hillsborough was 'compromised at every level'.
    The ground failed to meet minimum standards and the "deficiencies were well known".
    The turnstiles were inadequate.
    The ground capacity had been significantly over-calculated.
    The crush barriers failed to meet safety standards.
    There had been a crush at exactly the same match the year before.
    And today's report shows clearly that lessons had not been learnt.
    The report backs up again the key finding of the Taylor Report on police failure.
    But it goes further by revealing for the first time the shortcomings of the ambulance and emergency services response.
    The major incident plan was not fully implemented.
    Rescue attempts were held back by failures of leadership and co-ordination.
    And, significantly, new documents today show there was a delay from the emergency services when people were being crushed and killed.
    FINDINGS: ATTEMPT TO BLAME THE FANS
    Second, the families have long believed that some of the authorities attempted to create a completely unjust account of events that sought to blame the fans for what happened.
    Mr Speaker, the families were right.
    The evidence in today's report includes briefings to the media, and attempts by the Police to change the record of events.
    On the media. Several newspapers reported false allegations that fans were drunk and violent and stole from the dead.
    The Sun's report sensationalised these allegations under a banner headline 'The Truth.'
    This was clearly wrong and caused huge offence, distress and hurt.
    News International has co-operated with the Panel and, for the first time, today's report reveals that the source for these despicable untruths was a Sheffield news agency reporting conversations with South Yorkshire Police and Irvine Patnick, the then MP for Sheffield Hallam.
    The Report finds that this was part of police efforts - and I quote - 'to develop and publicise a version of events that focused on - allegations of drunkenness, ticketlessness and violence.'
    In terms of changing the record of events, we already know that police reports were significantly altered but the full extent was not drawn to Lord Justice Taylor's attention.
    Today's Report finds that 164 statements were significantly amended - and 116 explicitly removed negative comments about the policing operation - including its lack of leadership.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#ixzz26GXkwFRt

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Default Re: Hillsborough Disaster - Cameron Apologises, Fans Vindicated, Police Misconduct Exposed

Just been reading a few of the fans forums. A lot of the anger is still residual and just to give an example...

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.ph...43680.180.html

A lot of people there are highly critical of the police and emergency services.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Default Maidir Le: Hillsborough Disaster - Cameron Apologises, Fans Vindicated, Police Misconduct Exposed

The Hillsborough Football Disaster

The history of Hillsborough begins with the deaths of 96 people and the physical and mental injury of countless others. However it does not end there. The enormity of the Disaster goes beyond even this. Hillsborough becomes a metaphor for British society today. It is a microcosm of how society operates. Viewed in this way the history of Hillsborough becomes the history of injustice, of cover-up, and collusion. History will record 'Hillsborough' firmly within the bounds of civil rights, and the bereaved and survivors of the Disaster will long be remembered for the heroic stances they took against the might of bureaucratic forces in the name of justice.
    The Immediate Aftermath - Media Reaction
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Cactus, you've made me feel quite old, when you mention that it was a quarter of a century ago.
    I wasn't there, nor do I know anybody who was, but I get quite emotional about the whole thing.
    The reason for this is, I know football fans. I am a football fan.
    We are a motley crew and some you wouldn't want to live beside.
    But I have been in crushes, not on such a scale, but my experience has been that we all helped each other.
    I loved the families press conference today, the speaker wanted any reporters from The Sun in the room.
    Proper order.
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

From my reading of fans accounts from the time, the police caused this, and the state of the ground and overcrowding made it possible for them to cause it.

Ambulancemen were refused entry by the police, while people were dying of crush injuries and asphyxiation stretched out on the pitch.

The Press lapped up the blatant lies of the police and regurgitated them.

Fans did everything they could to save lives.

RTE Drivetime - after Cameron spent the day apologising to the fans - managed to say it happened "when fans flooded into the stands."

Not mentioning that the fans were misdirected, and the stands grossly overcrowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Griska View Post
    Cactus, you've made me feel quite old, when you mention that it was a quarter of a century ago.
    I wasn't there, nor do I know anybody who was, but I get quite emotional about the whole thing.
    But I have been in crushes, not on such a scale, but my experience has been that we all helped each other.
    I loved the families press conference today, the speaker wanted any reporters from The Sun in the room.
    Proper order.
    A lot of people don't understand crushes. They can happen just with a natural movement or surge of a large crowd, which amplifies in force in restricted areas if there are insufficient ways to get out. They can happen without any panic or misbehaviour of any description to cause them.

Default Maidir Le: Re: Hillsborough Disaster - Cameron Apologises, Fans Vindicated, Police Misconduct Exposed

Proper order.
    Football fans ... indeed any sport that attracted working class people ... were demonised up to and after Hillsborough. Football fans attending matches were caged-in like wild animals. Political reaction (Tory Government) at the time was to defend the police and deflect the blame. Thatcher even used weaselly words of in the wake of of Lord Taylor's report - which heavily criticised the actions of the police on the day. Her instinct was to shield the police and never mind the dead.
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    A lot of people don't understand crushes. They can happen just with a natural movement or surge of a large crowd, which amplifies in force in restricted areas if there are insufficient ways to get out. They can happen without any panic or misbehaviour of any description to cause them.
    Happened a few years ago at a match I was at and can happen easily with a win or a foreign object being thrown into a crowd. This has happened all over the world,has been an issue in South America for a few years but standards are being tightened.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

tomorrow's English papers

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Over 160 evidential statements tampered with deliberately. This is an issue with many witnesses, television cameras, reporters present and it just shows you how the authorities can even blatantly falsify the truth to their own end.

Extraordinary stuff. This wasn't a 'failure' by authorities. It was a deliberate cover up, managed and arranged.

This was not a 'mistake' or a 'failure' in communications.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    Over 160 evidential statements tampered with deliberately. This is an issue with many witnesses, television cameras, reporters present and it just shows you how the authorities can even blatantly falsify the truth to their own end.

Extraordinary stuff. This wasn't a 'failure' by authorities. It was a deliberate cover up, managed and arranged.

This was not a 'mistake' or a 'failure' in communications.
    All credit to the families and fans who never gave up in their efforts to get the truth proven and accepted.

Jack Straw reckons there was an element of impunity by South Yorkshire Police as they were invaluable to Thatcher during the miners strike.

But Straw blamed Margaret Thatcher and her Government for setting the police culture that contributed to the scandal. "The Thatcher Government, because they needed the police to be a partisan force, particularly for the miners' strike and other industrial troubles, created a culture of impunity in the police service.
    http://www.theweek.co.uk/politics/hi...#ixzz26L6zLyjz
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

Jack Straw reckons there was an element of impunity by South Yorkshire Police as they were invaluable to Thatcher during the miners strike.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/politics/hi...#ixzz26L6zLyjz
    The role of the Press is also worth looking at, as the facts were easily available from interviewing people who had been there, but they chose to splash the patent lies of the police over their front pages.

Was this pre Murdoch ?

Thatcher would not have said a word against the police or armed forces, come what may.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast