Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer virus targets Irish language users

Default Computer virus targets Irish language users

Hackers are targeting Donegal computer-users by freezing their screens and then demanding money to unlock them – as Gaeilge! A man in West Donegal tried to access his computer but found it was locked with an Irish language message. The message demanded the man forward €100 via transfer computer to have the virus unlocked. Source

Apparently the hacker is quite poor at the language!
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Default Re: Computer virus targets Irish language users

Innovative use of Irish.

Years ago I had a Unix system, and in an idle moment changed a lot of the commands to Irish.

Nearly blew the lot.

Quite ambitious of anyone to think they could get one over on a Donegal man. He could end up with some wily Donal from The Blue Stacks emptying his account instead.

That's got me thinking, how would people from each Irish county deal with such a situation? I'm guessing;

Antrim - Sit with arms crossed until hacker gave up.

Tyrone - Drive a twin-cam until the hacker gave up.

Armagh - Find out who the hacker is, learn how it's done and take over the racket.

Derry - Form an oraganisation called Direct Action Against Hackers and six-pack anyone who ever owned a laptop.

Fermanagh - Organise a march against hacking with 'C' list celebrities such as GAA managers and Father Brian D'Arcy.

Monaghan - N/A as yet.

Cavan - Contact the hacker by phone explaining in the clearest way they can how upset they are. This should convince the hacker that they are dealing with someone who can't speak any recognisable language and they will give up. (Evening Paddy Joe)

That's as far south as I'm prepared to go.
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

Default Maidir Le: Re: Computer virus targets Irish language users

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Innovative use of Irish.

Years ago I had a Unix system, and in an idle moment changed a lot of the commands to Irish.

Nearly blew the lot.
    That would have been worth seeing in action ... commands in Irish, I mean.
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Quote Originally Posted by 5intheface View Post
    Quite ambitious of anyone to think they could get one over on a Donegal man. He could end up with some wily Donal from The Blue Stacks emptying his account instead.

That's got me thinking, how would people from each Irish county deal with such a situation? I'm guessing;

Armagh - Find out who the hacker is, learn how it's done and take over the racket.

Derry - Form an oraganisation called Direct Action Against Hackers and six-pack anyone who ever owned a laptop.

Fermanagh - Organise a march against hacking with 'C' list celebrities such as GAA managers and Father Brian D'Arcy.

Monaghan - N/A as yet.

Cavan - Contact the hacker by phone explaining in the clearest way they can how upset they are. This should convince the hacker that they are dealing with someone who can't speak any recognisable language and they will give up. (Evening Paddy Joe)

Cork - declare itself the people's Republic of hackers

Limerick - find hacker and kick the snot off him
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    Cork - declare itself the people's Republic of hackers
    And sing 'The Banks'?
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

Offaly - Introduce hacker to the boss of a hurl.

Monaghan - N/A as yet.

Dublin - tweak source code to reroute funds, copyright code, use proceeds to procure lobbyist from communications clinic to advocate internationalization of process. Irish replaces English as global language - human race extinct in less than one generation. **ck yeah!
    In case this all goes pear-shaped, I'll bid you adieu

Westmeath - assembles think tank of the best and brightest of county - still can't switch computer on but inroads being made.
    In case this all goes pear-shaped, I'll bid you adieu

Quote Originally Posted by musashi View Post
    Westmeath - assembles think tank of the best and brightest of county - still can't switch computer on but inroads being made.

Default Re: Maidir Le: Re: Computer virus targets Irish language users

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    That would have been worth seeing in action ... commands in Irish, I mean.
    Yes, didn't work out.

I found unix easier to tweak than MSDOS, but trying to teach it Irish was a step too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    Apparently the hacker is quite poor at the language!
    Google translate obviously.

But the "ukash police virus" is rather old news. Had two "victims" last week, a retired Garda and the other guy rang up the local barracks, asking if he could pay cash since he didn't have a credit card.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Monaghan - N/A as yet.

Not much point in trying to hack a Cavan person. Everybody knows we don't have two pennies to rub together

Kev Bar Guest

Dublin 4

"Ah Saorise, you only got your pocket money yesterday."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast