The day after this meeting a 16 year old boy was shot dead by an unaccountable British soldier.
They were absolutely clear about their strategy
- blame the provos for everything: isolate them from support
- hit militant / resistant areas with hard military force: intern people
- give the UDA and protestant paramilitaries a job as mad dogs
- infiltrate - cause splits and divisions
- schmooze the amenable members of the provisional leadership with diplomacy and spin
- keep the Republic out of it at all costs (Dublin and Monaghan included)
- demonise Irish nationalism to the rest of the British.
I don't know when this idea came in that they were a neutral and put upon peace making force.