Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Generic Pharmaceutical Drugs 12 Times More Expensive in Ireland as UK - Why?

Default Generic Pharmaceutical Drugs 12 Times More Expensive in Ireland as UK - Why?

We have long known that prices charged for drugs in Ireland are many times greater than the U.K., Spain and elsewhere.

The Sunday Business Post has a report today that says that medecines in Ireland are 12 times more expensive here than in the U.K.

Many people in Ireland must be either doing without their prescribed drugs (asthma inhaler 80 euro a pop, for example) due to the cost, or buying them and doing without other essentials.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/m...uk-561926.html

Even with the drug repayment scheme drug costs can be 138 euro a month for a family.

It also means that huge sums are being paid by the public for drugs funded under medical card and chronic illness costs.

We are told this is the result of a "deal made by the Government" two years ago.

Just for once, could we get to the bottom of this, find out who signed off on it, and the reasons why they did it?

The Association of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers of Ireland said the reason Ireland pays more is because generic drugs have a low market share here and because manufacturers have to package their products uniquely for Ireland.

Liam Doran General Secretary of the INMO, said spending these higher sums on the drugs means there is less money available for the health service.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 19-09-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Default Re: Pharmaceutical Drugs 12 Times More Expensive in Ireland as UK - Why?

Think it was M Harney, who had signed the deal as it was known at that time re huge differentials between drug prices even though we have a extensive pharma industry in Ringaskiddy. That sounded counterproductive in the light of drug pricing which is expensive. Have to remind you of her husband's connections re his private consultancy with health industries.

Boots chemists shops were expensive with high mark ups which i found out later. Couldn't understand that people, who still go to Boots chemist as they should have shopped around re cheaper prices. A friend of mine, who went to Spain and she told me it was less than half what was priced here at cost plus mark ups.It was astonishing to see it especially in euros.

Default Re: Pharmaceutical Drugs 12 Times More Expensive in Ireland as UK - Why?

Quote Originally Posted by disability student View Post
    Think it was M Harney, who had signed the deal as it was known at that time re huge differentials between drug prices even though we have a extensive pharma industry in Ringaskiddy. That sounded counterproductive in the light of drug pricing which is expensive. Have to remind you of her husband's connections re his private consultancy with health industries.

Boots chemists shops were expensive with high mark ups which i found out later. Couldn't understand that people, who still go to Boots chemist as they should have shopped around re cheaper prices. A friend of mine, who went to Spain and she told me it was less than half what was priced here at cost plus mark ups.It was astonishing to see it especially in euros.
    Chemists differ ( which is crazy ) and also some tell you about generic non-prescription options and some don't.

The E.S.R.I produced a report earlier this year on prices of medecines in Ireland.

http://www.esri.ie/publications/late...ex.xml?id=3441
    Last edited by C. Flower; 05-08-2012 at 07:21 PM.

I knew prices were higher, but 12 times across the board seems hard to believe.
    That said I can attest personally to it today. I’m at the airport waiting for a flight to Dublin, and it seems as if half my luggage is made up of various over the counter meds/toiletries etc. for my sis.

Prices in the US can be both dirt cheap and astronomical. I recently presented two prescriptions. One cost $4, and the other $350. I took a pass on the $350 and will have to look for something less expensive
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Short answer is Mary Harney, probably.

Part of a wider problem with multinational retail jacking up prices here and nowhere else

The Indo is claiming that the difference is for generic drugs. This would be strange, if true. But with Cowen and Harney having run health, I guess anything is possible

THE State is paying drug companies almost the same price for cheaper "generic" drugs as it pays for branded medicines.

It emerged over the weekend that the Health Service Executive was paying up to 12 times more than the NHS in Britain for the same generic drugs.

A spokesperson for Health Minister James Reilly said that the Irish Pharmaceutical Healthcare Association (IPHA) has agreed to enter negotiations with the minister in two weeks' time.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...k-3190366.html
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

The HEALTH (PRICING AND SUPPLY OF MEDICAL GOODS)
    BILL 2012 went through the Senate today

The Bill will allow pharmacies to substitute a generic, if it goes through the Dail

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/b...312/b6312s.pdf
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    The HEALTH (PRICING AND SUPPLY OF MEDICAL GOODS)
    BILL 2012 went through the Senate today

The Bill will allow pharmacies to substitute a generic, if it goes through the Dail

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/b...312/b6312s.pdf

Does it bring the price of the generics down from the astronomic levels agreed by Mary Harney?

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Does it bring the price of the generics down from the astronomic levels agreed by Mary Harney?
    it should help, but I doubt it will be immediate

The Indo is claiming that the difference is for generic drugs. This would be strange, if true. But with Cowen and Harney having run health, I guess anything is possible

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...k-3190366.html
    I doubt that re generic drugs as there is something that they aren't telling us.

Also law here probhits bulk buying by patients which is cheaper than a single product. A relative of mine wanted to buy in bulk worth 6 months but the chemist told her that 3 months is the maximum. So she went off to France and bought 6 months of presciption medicine, which had worked out far cheaper.

Here chemists here are putting a huge mark ups as price discrepancies between Ireland and France were shocking.

it should help, but I doubt it will be immediate
    Just looked at it. Unless I missed something, it seems to allow a pharmacist in many cases to decide to dispense a cheap unbranded version of a prescribed drug.

That might save money for the Government, but will reduce the control of the prescribing doctor. In some cases there can be patient allergies to the generic and not to the branded drug, for example.

It doesn't appear to bring the price of the generics down.

A few tighter rules on prescribing would be helpful. For example, cough medicines are not an effective remedy for coughs. I can't see why they are prescribed at all. Antibiotics are dangerously overprescribed. So are tranquilisers. Doctors have no regard to cost when prescribing. They should consider that a person may be forgoing food or heat to pay for a marginally useful drug.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by disability student View Post
    I doubt that re generic drugs as there is something that they aren't telling us.

Also law here probhits bulk buying by patients which is cheaper than a single product. A relative of mine wanted to buy in bulk worth 6 months but the chemist told her that 3 months is the maximum. So she went off to France and bought 6 months of presciption medicine, which had worked out far cheaper.

Here chemists here are putting a huge mark ups as price discrepancies between Ireland and France were shocking.
    That is the same as someone I know who goes to Spain and stocks up on antibiotics (Which in itself is quite a danger when you consider the amount of antibiotic resistant bacteria strains doing the rounds). Difene is one drug I think is perscription free up the North and yet here we need a perscription (as if Im going to overdose on anti inflammatory!). Just some quick stats on the issue compliments of thejournal.ie

http://www.thejournal.ie/pharmaceuti...35667-Jan2012/

Ireland had among the highest spend per person on pharmaceuticals in OECD countries in 2009.
    Pharmaceuticals currently make up around 17.5 per cent of public health expenditure, up from 14 per cent in 2000.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Just looked at it. Unless I missed something, it seems to allow a pharmacist in many cases to decide to dispense a cheap unbranded version of a prescribed drug.

That might save money for the Government, but will reduce the control of the prescribing doctor. In some cases there can be patient allergies to the generic and not to the branded drug, for example.

It doesn't appear to bring the price of the generics down.

A few tighter rules on prescribing would be helpful. For example, cough medicines are not an effective remedy for coughs. I can't see why they are prescribed at all. Antibiotics are dangerously overprescribed. So are tranquilisers. Doctors have no regard to cost when prescribing. They should consider that a person may be forgoing food or heat to pay for a marginally useful drug.

It is a substitution bill, it will allow pharmacists to substitute a generic regardless of the prescription

It puts the power in the pharmacists hand and he/she will likely do what is most profitable for them. The profit margin should be greater on the generic so they should prescribe this and sell it for less

This is how the pharmacy industry operates in France (there are no pharmacy chains in France either) and it seems to work there

Default Re: Generic Pharmaceutical Drugs 12 Times More Expensive in Ireland as UK - Why?

On radio earlier it emerged that Reilly's new deal on drug prices won't cover generics. It looks like a token gesture from the industry to soften the proposed legislation on generic substitution.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Default Re: Generic Pharmaceutical Drugs 12 Times More Expensive in Ireland as UK - Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    On radio earlier it emerged that Reilly's new deal on drug prices won't cover generics. It looks like a token gesture from the industry to soften the proposed legislation on generic substitution.
    They must be worried that there would have been no room for their drugs on the market. Doctors must also be encouraged to give out generic drugs a lot more.
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast