Thread: Irish recruitment to Saskatchewan hits glitch

Default Irish recruitment to Saskatchewan hits glitch

Irish recruitment to Sask. hits glitch
    Opposition calls it concerning

Reported by Stephanie Froese /650 CKOM
    First Posted: Jul 25, 2012 8:39pm | Last Updated: Jul 25, 2012 8:43pm

The so called Irish Mission has hit a “technical glitch”, according to Tim McMillan, Saskatchewan’s Energy and Resources Minister.

The comment comes after Monad Industrial temporarily laid off 20 Irish workers (about 50 workers all together) from the company’s project at the Agrium potash mine near Vanscoy.

The workers came to Canada during the first wave of the province’s high-profile recruitment trip to Ireland in March this year.

Mike Long, spokesperson for PCL, the company over Monad Industrial, said a gap developed in the construction schedule between the pipefitting job these workers completed and the next stage which would resume sometime next year.

In the meantime, Long said they’ve had sit-down meetings with the workers to discuss transferring them to the company’s other jobs in province.

None of the 20 Irish workers laid off have taken that option.

“We brought the government officials to these meetings to help explain the process and help facilitate it with them to say, ok, here’s some opportunities we have and here’s some help with the logistics in doing that and as I said unfortunately it wasn’t a message that was well received,” said Long.

Cam Broten, MLA with the provincial NDP, said putting himself into the shoes of some of these immigrant workers he can understand why they would be against relocating for temporary job.

“They’ve moved around the globe, often with their partners and their families. In many situations, I assume, entered into leases for houses and thinking about schools in the fall,” said Broton.

He said the situation is very concerning.

“It really leaves people in a lurch and I think Saskatchewan is better than that and these people really deserve to be treated fairly,” said Broton.

He said accommodations need to be made when families are recruited to move to Saskatchewan and that promises made are fulfilled.

Tim McMillan, the province’s Energy and Resources Minister, said the province will utilize the Exceptional Measures Provision in their agreement with the federal government to act quickly in employing these immigrant workers elsewhere.

“There are multiple job opportunities potentially coming to each of these employees,” said Mcmillan.

The visas they were given were under the federal stream which allows different provisions then the Saskatchewan stream. He said bringing them into the Saskatchewan stream is a smooth process.

“Instead of possibly waiting for a labour market survey which can take three weeks it takes about a day or two and they can be hired very quickly,” said McMillan.

He said this was a case of a technical difficulty and the province’s need for foreign workers is not changing any time soon.

Default Re: Irish recruitment to Saskatchewan hits glitch

It doesn't sound too bad. Apparently there is a lot of employment opportunity in Saskatchewan.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    It doesn't sound too bad. Apparently there is a lot of employment opportunity in Saskatchewan.
    That would be very reassuring for those whose visas weren't tied to the cowboy construction firm.

Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    That would be very reassuring for those whose visas weren't tied to the cowboy construction firm.
    I wont hear a word against cowboy construction firms. Cowboy construction firms were a major Irish export during the Tiger years.

I'm not sure they are what you might typically think of in Ireland as a cowboy construction firm.

100% employee owned apparently. Interesting.

Impressive CV of projects.

http://www.pcl.com/Pages/default.aspx

PCL is the largest contracting organization in Canada, the 6th largest in the United States, and was ranked a Top Green Contractor by Engineering News Record (ENR) magazine. PCL is currently ranked #29 on the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For® list and is honored to have been on the list for seven consecutive years. PCL has been a Platinum Club member of the Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies list since 2004 and has been on the list every year since its inception in 2000.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    I'm not sure they are what you might typically think of in Ireland as a cowboy construction firm.

100% employee owned apparently. Interesting.

Impressive CV of projects.

http://www.pcl.com/Pages/default.aspx
    Maybe they wouldn't thrive in Ireland but any company that encourages workers to uproot and move to another country only to tell them to eff off a few weeks later has certainly earned the title 'cowboy'.

Maybe they wouldn't thrive in Ireland but any company that encourages workers to uproot and move to another country only to tell them to eff off a few weeks later has certainly earned the title 'cowboy'.
    It's pretty poor I agree but in fairness they were offered other positions rather than simply told to eff off. But I can see the problems with that if they have settled.

I always understood "cowboy" to more relate to the quality of work rather than the treatment of workers. If it is the latter then just about every construction company on the planet might be considered "cowboy". At least this one appears to have a better than average safety record which is important in the industry. I used to shudder looking at some of the sites in Ireland back in the day ... and these were companies not considered "cowboy" by a long way.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

It's pretty poor I agree but in fairness they were offered other positions rather than simply told to eff off. But I can see the problems with that if they have settled.

I always understood "cowboy" to more relate to the quality of work rather than the treatment of workers. If it is the latter then just about every construction company on the planet might be considered "cowboy". At least this one appears to have a better than average safety record which is important in the industry. I used to shudder looking at some of the sites in Ireland back in the day ... and these were companies not considered "cowboy" by a long way.
    Feel free to substitute 'scumpany' for 'cowboy'.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Families who went to Canada and settled down and created a life for themselves are going to be the hardest hit with this. Its the not knowing that is going to affect them, its the issues relating to the fact they built a life for themselves based on expecting that there would be permenant contracts coming their way and look what happens . The least the company should do is help them look for other jobs in the area (not relocate as was suggested). Even if there is opportunities looking for other jobs and resettling so soon after moving is horrible. Moving house is meant to be the third most stressful thing after a bereavement and a divorce...
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    I wont hear a word against cowboy construction firms. Cowboy construction firms were a major Irish export during the Tiger years.
    Hear hear, they made this country what it is today.
    In case this all goes pear-shaped, I'll bid you adieu

If it was me I would be jumping at the offer of alternative employment in Regina. In fact, you wouldn't see me for smoke on the highway.

I don't think there would be enough whisky in Canada to get me through a winter in Vanscoy.

The main street

Vanscoy is a village of 339 residents in the rural municipality of Vanscoy No. 345, in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan.

Vanscoy has a bar and a gas station/convenience store which is attached to a restaurant.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

If it was me I would be jumping at the offer of alternative employment in Regina. In fact, you wouldn't see me for smoke on the highway.

I don't think there would be enough whisky in Canada to get me through a winter in Vanscoy.

The main street

Party central...
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Party central...
    Well, to be fair if you were very bored you could always shoot down the highway (30K) to Saskatoon where they have more than one bar.

The 2006 census crime data, released July 18, 2007, showed Saskatoon leading Canada in violent crime, with 1,606 violent crimes per 100,000 residents annually

Coppers on foot patrol in Saskatoon.

Of course, if the highway was closed you'd be stuck.