Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The return of Dev Og!

Default Re: The return of Dev Og!

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Buddha View Post
    Clonbur is a long way from the leafy avenues of Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 where he grew up!
    Yes reared in Dublin, but came to CLonbur area Connemara years ago to manage a coop - not a usual D4 choice, and certainly there is no trace of D4 about him now.

His views may be oldfashioned in many respects, but he is an intelligent guy.

He is not the type to depend on the likes of Terry Prone to write his speeches - appears to think for himself and say it as he sees it - a rare thing in politics nowadays.

He is back! You simply cannot keep a good man down! And doubtless many will share my delight at seeing this guy back where he belongs - at the heart of the nations political discourse.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...t-3167413.html

Bead-rattler favourite, nursing home heart-throb and Tuam Herald reader Dev Og is back with a bang! And where better to put his talents to best effect than in being Opposition spokesman on Agriculture. There'll be no pulling the wool of the eyes of this independent thinker. No sirree!

Martin has either recognised the limitless talent of Eamon or, more likely, taken Lyndon Johnson's dictum to heart: it is better having him in the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in!
    He'll be doing the rubber chicken circuit soon........ I wonder did he find Haughey's map.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Dublin North-West - the leading constituency!

Quote Originally Posted by bernadette View Post
    TBH I think since agriculture is so important to this country and to our recovery Martin should have chosen a more able minister, that is assuming he has a more able TD amongst his shower of yes men and snake oil salesmen.

Agriculture is of course important but in reality, a lot of the real decision-making affecting agriculture occurs in Brussels.

I think Education is also important and look what Martin has done there!!!

Agriculture is of course important but in reality, a lot of the real decision-making affecting agriculture occurs in Brussels.

I think Education is also important and look what Martin has done there!!!
    Its not as though they have much to choose from! I do hope you're not suggesting EO'C would have been better with education? Our poor kids don't have enough problems.....

Its not as though they have much to choose from! I do hope you're not suggesting EO'C would have been better with education? Our poor kids don't have enough problems.....
    I am not suggesting anything of the sort. But Education is important and Martin stuck one of his rookie poltroons in there to face Ho Chi Quinn in the Dail.

Education does have a lot of problems, one of the biggest of which is the Irish public's ongoing belief that the Irish education system is "good" because it appears to be only ever compared to that of the UK.

O'Cuiv's transformation from Ballsbridge Boy to Rural Titan is quite amazing, yet never gets commented upon. If the transformation was in the other direction, I wonder what the attitude to him would be.

I am not suggesting anything of the sort. But Education is important and Martin stuck one of his rookie poltroons in there to face Ho Chi Quinn in the Dail.

Education does have a lot of problems, one of the biggest of which is the Irish public's ongoing belief that the Irish education system is "good" because it appears to be only ever compared to that of the UK.

O'Cuiv's transformation from Ballsbridge Boy to Rural Titan is quite amazing, yet never gets commented upon. If the transformation was in the other direction, I wonder what the attitude to him would be.
    My opinion of O'Cuiv could get lower, he could be Gerry Adams, but that's it. I think he is where he is on his family connections. Agriculture will suit him but that doesn't mean I think he will be any good at it.

The Irish education system seems to be in a mess, education needs someone who can think on his feet perhaps the newish person would be better than the older hands, well he could hardly be worse...

My opinion of O'Cuiv could get lower, he could be Gerry Adams, but that's it. I think he is where he is on his family connections. Agriculture will suit him but that doesn't mean I think he will be any good at it.

The Irish education system seems to be in a mess, education needs someone who can think on his feet perhaps the newish person would be better than the older hands, well he could hardly be worse...
    He is where he is because people elect him. It is an uncomfortable truth that we get the politicians we deserve because if we did not elect them, they would not be there.

O'Cuiv is, of course, a dreadful example of what we elect to the highest forum of democracy in Ireland but he is by no means alone. And Fianna Fail have not got a monopoly on gobshytes. But I would say that membership of Fianna Fail does confer the status of gobshyte on anybody who is a member of it.

Education has been a shables for decades and there is no sign that this is improving in any way. At the height of the "boom", we still insisted on sticking primary school children in prefab huts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12