Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommended reads

Default Re: Recommended reads

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Tim Pat Coogan's new book, "The Famine Plot" is very good.

I have a new blog post up about John Mitchel, I have included links to free ebooks of some of his books, which are excellent.

http://irelandthenation.blogspot.ie/...n-mitchel.html
    I've just bought that, and will post on it on the Famine thread (I think we have one).
    Looking forward to reading it.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

“ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by 5intheface View Post
    Maybe a slightly narrow aspect of what you are looking for Saoirse but a fascinating and frightening read nonetheless.

And don't panic, it's not that Sean O'Callaghan.
    Looks good, putting it on the list.

I'm also looking to pick up a copy of the Lost Revolution, got it out of the library a while back and enjoyed it, would like to own a copy. Where can I get it cheapest?

It's €12.54 on Kenny's (who are really excellent, bought lots off them recently, very prompt delivery) will that be bettered?

It's €12.54 on Kenny's (who are really excellent, bought lots off them recently, very prompt delivery) will that be bettered?
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Hell.../9780863222870

€8.06 from Book Depository.

Don't forget to type in the code to get your PW 5% discount.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Yesterday the Duke of Edinburgh (91) was seen on a train reading Christopher Kelly's The end of empire, Attila the Hun and the fall of Rome.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Yesterday the Duke of Edinburgh (91) was seen on a train reading Christopher Kelly's The end of empire, Attila the Hun and the fall of Rome.

lol! Looking worried ?
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

http://irishistory.blogspot.co.uk/

The above Irish republican history blog has some gems, but as to be expected its not the most balanced resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post

Good for him. I'm a great fan of classical Rome and Greece, both their histories and philosophies.

On another topic/era, I recently finished a fine biography: John Stuart Mill - Victorian Firebrand by Richard Reeves. A fine summary of the man's life and ideas and, better yet, a good read.
    “The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.” - Marcus Aurelius

Hello everyone - new user here so I hope I have the system down.

I thought I would jump in here with some book recommendations for Ireland prior to the modern era in Irish history:

Gaeliic and Gaelicized Ireland in the Middle Ages : K W Nicholls. Lilliput Press Dublin. 2003.

Tudor Ireland: Crown ,Community and the Conflict of Cultures 1470-1603. Steven Ellis. Longman Press 1985.

Tudor and Stuart Ireland. Margaret MacCurtain. Gil and MacMillan 1972.

The Revolt of Silken Thomas: A Challenge to Henry VIII. Laurence McCorristine. Wolfhound Press 1987.

The Silken Thomas is of special interest because it was the start of questioning the long held view of Lord Thomas as being a hothead who jumped the gun without any real direction in sight. In fact, looking closer at the historic record it now is estimated by many historians that a propaganda war was waged against him by English chroniclers in order to restore the FitzGerald lands at a later date. The FitzGerald rebellion in fact posed a very serious threat to Henry VIII and was a much more organised event than has been traditionally portrayed even by Irish historians.
    Last edited by SpailpinFanach; 08-08-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by SpailpinFanach View Post

I thought I would jump in here with some book recommendations for Ireland prior to the modern era in Irish history:

Gaeliic and Gaelicized Ireland in the Middle Ages : K W Nicholls. Lilliput Press Dublin. 2003.

Tudor Ireland: Crown ,Community and the Conflict of Cultures 1470-1603. Steven Ellis. Longman Press 1985.

The Revolt of Silken Thomas: A Challenge to Henry VIII. Laurence McCorristine. Wolfhound Press 1987.

The Silken Thomas is of special interest because it was the start of questioning the long held view of Lord Thomas as being a hothead who jumped the gun without any real direction in sight. In fact, looking closer at the historic record it now is estimated by many historians that a propaganda war was waged against him by English chroniclers in order to restore the FitzGerald lands at a later date. The FitzGerald rebellion in fact posed a very serious threat to Henry VIII and was a much more organised event than has been traditionally portrayed even by Irish historians.
    Welcome

It's a cliché that the winner gets to write history, but true generally nonetheless.
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Welcome
    Thanks much.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    It's a cliché that the winner gets to write history, but true generally nonetheless.
    Yes very true.

Interesting that there's not much on wiki about it. I only have a passing knowledge of the events and it would certainly be something worth properly studying.

Thanks for the links and suggestions and welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Ogiol View Post
    Interesting that there's not much on wiki about it. I only have a passing knowledge of the events and it would certainly be something worth properly studying.

Thanks for the links and suggestions and welcome to the forum
    Thanks - yeah, it probably could do with a thread of its own [?] but it was a complicated business for the FitzGeralds. When [the Catholic] Queen Mary came to the throne in 1553 she attempted to restore some Catholic lands and the FitzGeralds - in the person of the exiled Gerald FitsGerald - looked for a restoration of theirs. It was awkward because of the rebellion against the Crown during her father Henry VIII's reign but she wanted them on her side and in Ireland. So she had a chronicle written so as to depict the rebellion as a foolish, rash act by the 27 year old Lord Thomas and not a serious effort by the Geraldines at large. This remained the accepted narrative for centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by SpailpinFanach View Post

Glad to have you on board Spailpin.
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast