Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended reads

Default Recommended reads

Given the success I had the last time I asked the good folks on here for literary advice I'm back to ask for more

I'm looking for histories of Irish nationalism/rebellions prior to 1798, books which explain the events which brought about/maintained the subjugation of the Irish. I've been googling etc and two which keep cropping up are The Green Flag: A History of Irish Nationalism by Robert Kee and Modern Ireland, 1600-1972 by R.F. Foster.
    Anyone read these? They worth the time? I'm also looking for a good book on the famine. Any ideas?

This thread could also be used as a place to review/recommend books on any aspect of Irish history.

Out of the books I have read, off the top of my head, I would highly recommend the following (in no particular order);

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guerilla-Days-Ireland-Tom-Barry/dp/0947962344/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340043137&sr=8-1"]Guerilla Days in Ireland - Tom Barry[/ame]

This is a fantastic read and utterly reveals just how ruthless and harsh the IRA were and had to be at times.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Another-Mans-Wound-Ernie-OMalley/dp/1901737373/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340043226&sr=8-1"]On Another Man's Wound - Ernie O'Malley[/ame]

This is one of my favorites, very well written and easy to read, gives you a great insight into the mentality and attitudes of people at the time as well as the organization of the IRA.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freedom-Wolfe-Tone-Sean-Cronin/dp/0900068183/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340043307&sr=1-1"]Freedom the Wolfe Tone Way - Sean Cronin, Richard Roche[/ame]

This book is absolutely essential reading imo. Not only does it give you some of Tone's best writings, the book is worth the price for the introductory essay by Jack Bennett alone. Can't speak highly enough of that essay, tackles some of the sticky issues which are often avoided by republicans head on.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-History-IRA-Ed-Moloney/dp/0141028769/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340043383&sr=8-1-spell"]A Secret History of the IRA - Ed Moloney [/ame]

It's a hard read and the author goes deep into conspiracy theory territory at times with some frankly off the wall conclusions. If you can overlook that as well as his time-line of events being a bit off it's a fairly comprehensive and informing read. Pinch of salt essential however. I haven't read Tim Pat Coogan's book on the IRA, if anyone has read both, how do they compare?

Finally a freebie which you can download for your ebook or read online... another of my personal favorites;

Speeches from the Dock

What it says on the tin, a collection of some of the finest speeches spoken by Irish patriots such as Emmet, Tone, Sheares brother etc while they were in the dock, inspirational stuff.

Default Re: Recommended reads

JJ Lee's book 'Ireland 1912-1985: politics and society', is a good starting point for the history of the country in the 20th century and his study of the institutions of the Free State is remarkable for the similarities in how it operated then and how it continues to today. Lydon's book 'The Lordship of Ireland in the Middle ages' is a good introduction to Ireland and the Lordship until the Tudor expansion, and provides some interesting contextual analysis and evidence to suggest that a form of feudalism was developing in Ireland prior to conquest. There are some good books out there on the Confederation of Kilkenny and the War of the Three Kingdoms if you have access to any university library.
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа

'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

"Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

Also, as the OP said he was interested in 1798, Dr. Ruan O'Donnell has a couple of interesting works about 1798 and the guerrilla insurgency in Wicklow in the immediate aftermath.
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа

'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

"Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

To answer the question I posed in my OP, I recently bought and read this book, which I found fantastic:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ireland-her-own-struggle-independence/dp/0853152195"]Ireland Her Own: An Outline History of the Irish Struggle - T.A. Jackson[/ame]
    This classic book tells the history of eight hundred years of the Irish people's struggles for freedom. It takes us from the arrival of English settlers in the Middle ages up to the present day -the struggle in the words of James Fintan Lalor, to make "Ireland her own, and all therein, from the sod to the sky".

The author describes this book as 'An Outline History of the Irish struggle for National Freedom and Independence', but it is much more than that. As an 'Outline History' it has no equal, and for several reasons. In the first place this is the only book in which, right from the beginning and throughout it's pages, the economic factors are placed in a proper perspective alongside of and intermingled with the political. Many historians have written of this long struggle with pride and emotion, but none has produced anything so effective as this memorable account of every aspect of Irish social, economic and political history.

The book describes the conquest and the first steps taken by England towards Empire in the 12th Century and brings the reader up to the partition of Ireland in the early 1920's. Added to this, C. Desmond Greaves has written a concluding chapter on the events from the then to the civil rights movement of the late 1960's and the start of the current round of troubles in Northern Ireland

It is not only a clearly and vigorously written history, but also a guide to Imperialism in general and an invaluable handbook for all students of politics whatever their opinions may be.
    Source.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    To answer the question I posed in my OP, I recently bought and read this book, which I found fantastic:
    Yes. Best outline history I have ever come across. I was recently told it was out of print, which would be a tragedy. Did you pick up a 2nd hand or have I been misinformed?
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Ireland and the Death of Kindness: Andrew Gailey. Constructive Unionism 1890-1905. CUP.
    A history of " killing Home Rule with kindness "
    Everybody has heard the phrase, now's yer chance to read aout what it really meant.

The Damnable Question. George Dangerfield A Study in Anglo-Irish Relations Quartet Books.
    1914-1922.

There'll be questions after.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    Yes. Best outline history I have ever come across. I was recently told it was out of print, which would be a tragedy. Did you pick up a 2nd hand or have I been misinformed?
    I got it second hand off Amazon. Has never been read though.

There seems to be a large amount of excellent books out of print. I had a lot of trouble getting my hands on Michael Farrel's Northern Ireland: The Orange State because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsedmethodist View Post

The Damnable Question. George Dangerfield A Study in Anglo-Irish Relations Quartet Books.
    1914-1922.
    That's a blast from the past, read that when I was 10. Didn't even know what 'damnable' meant.

Any wonder I'm weird now.
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 5intheface View Post
    That's a blast from the past,
    read that when I was 10.
    Didn't even know what 'damnable' meant.

There's some serious payouts now for parental abuse.

That's a blast from the past, read that when I was 10. Didn't even know what 'damnable' meant.

Something that can be damned - or is there something I am missing?

Quote Originally Posted by hazal View Post

I suppose 5intheface had an exceptionally happy childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by hazal View Post

Er, sorry for not knowing what damnable meant when I was 10.

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

I've stuck this thread on recommendations for books on Irish history.

Just came across this review on Slugger of Anthony McIntyre's "Good Friday - The Death of Irish Republicanism."

http://sluggerotoole.com/2011/11/17/...tyre-a-review/

I haven't read it myself yet.

This was a book that I first reviewed at the same time as “Unionism Decayed” back in 2008.
    Like Vance’s work, it is the author’s portrayal of a defeated political movement or ideal and as a Unionist it was instructional to read an interpretation of the immediate post-Agreement period from the other side of the fence. It was also interesting to read it again three years later to see how much and how little Irish Republicanism, as preached and practiced by the Sinn Fein leadership, has changed.

Despite his personal history and background (ex-IRA “blanketman”, imprisoned in his teens, served 17 years in the Maze), Anthony McIntyre’s writings and experiences have interested me for sometime. He is a leading voice for those within Irish Republicanism who have disagreed with the Adams Clique, arguing not for a return to the euphemistic “physical-force tradition” but a renewal of the Irish Republican ideals he believes the Sinn Fein hierarchy has abandoned.

Tim Pat Coogan's new book, "The Famine Plot" is very good.

I have a new blog post up about John Mitchel, I have included links to free ebooks of some of his books, which are excellent.

http://irelandthenation.blogspot.ie/...n-mitchel.html
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Maybe a slightly narrow aspect of what you are looking for Saoirse but a fascinating and frightening read nonetheless.

And don't panic, it's not that Sean O'Callaghan.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast