Thread: Escargot part 1 - Collect and Cleanse

Default Escargot - Collect, Cleanse, Cook and Consume

For the more adventurous of you, if you have garden snails - then after the next shower or watering, collect garden snails and put them in a good bucket or container.

By removing the snails you are removing a pest from the garden as well as its offspring and you will need to use less snail pellets etc so it has a double benefit.

You need to collect at least 20 or its simply not worth the trouble

Place them in a cool dark space and ensure the bucket or container is covered with a damp but breathable cover, a damp dishcloth is ideal.
    Alternatively use a plastic cover with small holes punched or drilled through.
    Put in a minute amount of water to keep them moist… clean the tub and the snails everyday of snail poo.

I have just collected some and they are being cleansed or purged over the week so I will update the blog then step by step for Escargot a la Boruguignonne

It is important to cleanse them as we do not know really what their diet has been

Some people just leave them for a week with no food but I find this does two things - firstly I find they loose body mass, and after waiting a week it seems a shame not to maximize return - secondly I think its cruel to starve them.

Feeding is easy, most people use a little cornmeal or polenta mixed with herbs, I put in fennel fronds and some herbs.

Another method is to collect them from your garden and feed them a carrot… when there poo turns orange they will be free of all toxins.

- Its not at all hard, without al the somewhat ridiculous fuss of an old Irish Times et al - including the au pair and the maid in 1963 !!!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/mega...m-your-garden/

Recipe to follow next weekend
    Last edited by simonj; 10-02-2016 at 07:43 PM. Reason: title

Default Last minute reprieve

Well, had to go back to work at short notice, so at 0600 this morning the snails got a last day reprieve - back at it again in two weeks

Default Re: Escargot part 1 - Collect and Cleanse

How the heck do you find 20 snails? I might see only one a week in my place. And Ive got around one acre of land.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWedge View Post
    How the heck do you find 20 snails? I might see only one a week in my place. And Ive got around one acre of land.
    Thought you could live on next to nothing? What about deep fried wood lice?
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Updated with recipe and photos
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130813_194933.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	1077

Updated with recipe and photos
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	escargot10.jpg 
Views:	99