Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Strange ring around the moon

Default Re: Strange ring around the moon

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Special moon tonight - closest to earth full moon in the last 18 years.
    If it gets any closer NAMA will seize it

Special moon tonight - closest to earth full moon in the last 18 years.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1yalg_Apdw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1yalg_Apdw[/ame]

Another useful gimmick for the amateur astronomers around here:

EQAlign is a tool designed to help you with the with the exact alignment of your optical equipment (telescopes, cameras), it can also process the data from images.

EQAlign born as a software to align a German Equatorial Mount (GEM) exactly to the Earth polar axis. The used method is that of Julius Scheiner (1858-1913) german mathematic, physic, astronomer and pioneer in astrophotography. Today, in adition to polar align feature, EQAlign is a full featured software that:

Can be used to measure and analyse your mount Periodic Error (PE).
    Can autoguide your mount, so you can minimize the Periodic Error and polar misalignment effects and it made possible to shoot long exposure astrophotography.
    Implements a complete PC GoTo platform. EQAlign solves orbital elements of planets, comets and asteroids to compute actual position coordinates, magnitude, distance, etc.
    You can plan a journal, selecting any object of the database, make your own object comment annotations, etc
    Supports many cams as long exposure modified webcams, and others CCD and CMOS cams.
    EQAlign is free open source software (currently for Windows only, a Linux version is in the making).

P.S.: For the casual stargazer, Stellarium (mentioned here) is rather more suitable.
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 28-03-2011 at 02:41 PM.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Michael Ring did say he was over the moon regarding his recent appointment. Could be him.

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Michael Ring did say he was over the moon regarding his recent appointment. Could be him.

Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    Really am LOL at that

Around about now (11pm ish on the night of March 28th) Jupiter and Saturn are diametriacally opposite each other in the sky. This is the final pass of their Triple-Opposition, which has begam on whitsun last year. These oppositions only happen once every 21 or so years.
    Curiously, Jupiter (planet of renewal, if you're into that sort of thing?) is close to the Spring Equinox point, while Saturn (planet of old things dying away?) is by the autumn equinox. This only happens every once 500+ years.

This time last year a friend of mine wondered if in the coming years we'd see a lot of new ideas and systems trying to be born while old worn out forces tried to suppress them.

Hmmm...

The moon and jupiter, photographed from 6 million miles away.
    (NASA)

The moon and jupiter, photographed from 6 million miles away.
    (NASA)
    theres something not quite right there.. is it not the earth and the moon?

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    Another useful gimmick for the amateur astronomers around here:

EQAlign is a tool designed to help you with the with the exact alignment of your optical equipment (telescopes, cameras), it can also process the data from images.

EQAlign is free open source software (currently for Windows only, a Linux version is in the making).

P.S.: For the casual stargazer, Stellarium (mentioned here) is rather more suitable.
    stellarium is excellent... I use it myself

Quote Originally Posted by Skrimshander View Post
    theres something not quite right there.. is it not the earth and the moon?
    Indeed, it is a photo of the Earth and the Moon, taken from the spacecraft Juno, heading to Jupiter.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Low in the south-western sky, (to the left of Orion's belt) there is an entity which is at present changing colour from blue to orange and has faint lines protruding from it like the way a child would draw a star. It is like nothing else in the sky, anyone know what it is? Or can anyone else see what I'm talking about?
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 5intheface View Post
    Low in the south-western sky, (to the left of Orion's belt) there is an entity which is at present changing colour from blue to orange and has faint lines protruding from it like the way a child would draw a star. It is like nothing else in the sky, anyone know what it is? Or can anyone else see what I'm talking about?
    I'd imagine it's the planet Jupiter

Quote Originally Posted by 5intheface View Post
    If it's south west, it's hardly northern lights?

Any clouds?

If it's south west, it's hardly northern lights?

Any clouds?
    Clear as a bell, just looks like a mishapen star but colourful. Could be a planet as Ah says but I've never seen anything so animated.
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast