Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiscal Compact referendum result

Default Fiscal Compact referendum result

Well, counting starts shortly so I thought we might have a dedicated thread to discuss the result.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Default Re: Fiscal Compact referendum result

Elaine byrne has called it for yes. Another tweet says "rock 55%, hard place 45%"

Quote Originally Posted by Richardbouvet View Post
    Elaine byrne has called it for yes. Another tweet says "rock 55%, hard place 45%"
    Sorry. Who is Elaine Byrne?
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Tallies so far are for the Yessir, Yessir side
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

It sounds like a yes, everywhere apart from online communities, who resoundingly said No.

It could be an age divide, given that internet posters demography tends to be weighted to younger males.

RTE's vox pop this morning was a string of pensioners and public servants thinking that Yes was the best was to save their incomes.

I fear they have some horrible disappointments ahead of them, should Yes prevail.

There seem to be some wild variations between working class and middle class areas. Reports of up to 70% to 80 % on either side. Methinks the Left lost the battle but are winning the war for votes in working class Ireland..

"the result will be approx. 60/40 yes, with a reasonable chance of a no majority in the following constituencies:

Donegal NE and SW, Dublin Central, South Central, South West, West and North West and (on a good day) Galway West and Kerry North.

Dublin South, South East and Dun Laoghaire will be heavily yes. "

I said this last night, after going back to last night in my time machine.

I should have visited Paddy Power while I was at it.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post

RTE's vox pop this morning was a string of pensioners and public servants thinking that Yes was the best was to save their incomes.

I fear they have some horrible disappointments ahead of them, should Yes prevail.
    they do indeed.

But they likely had either way.
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

In Dublin RTE reports a marked social divide with middle class voting YES and working class NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    There seem to be some wild variations between working class and middle class areas. Reports of up to 70% to 80 % on either side. Methinks the Left lost the battle but are winning the war for votes in working class Ireland..
    RTE saying it was 90% No in Crumlin.

The State is very much polarised, and has been for some time.

Default Maidir Le: Fiscal Compact referendum result

And an urban/rural divide also . More YES in the rural areas.

Looks like it is a great result for the No side.

50% turnout shows apathy and a Yes win means, the Yes side are going to have to defend their stability argument during the most turmultous time in European History since the 30s.

Bye, Bye FG/LAB. As Michael Collins said, you have just signed your own death warrant.

But unlike the bould Michael, you won,t be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by MPB View Post
    Looks like it is a great result for the No side.

50% turnout shows apathy and a Yes win means, the Yes side are going to have to defend their stability argument during the most turmultous time in European History since the 30s.

Bye, Bye FG/LAB. As Michael Collins said, you have just signed your own death warrant.

But unlike the bould Michael, you won,t be missed.
    I wonder if Collins would have attended a Bilderberg conference, like Noonan is doing this weekend
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Ulster says No .. if the tallies are correct.
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    I wonder if Collins would have attended a Bilderberg conference, like Noonan is doing this weekend
    If he did it would be to chair it, not walk around with a permanent erection, like Noonan will be doing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast