Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elon Musk Big Thinker

Default Re: Elon Musk Big Thinker

Love the idea, but the carriages look like they're one seat wide, what happens if someone has a medical emergency?

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Read the plans on the BBC today , its ambitious in the extreme anyhoo its going to cost a couple of billion to build . It will travel at a neck breaking speed of 700 km/h and you do not want to be in a hyperloop accident if that is the case! A similar idea was patented in America years ago that would have went at 4000 mph or NY to Beijing in what, an hour? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23681266 . Train travel costs are much higher and the cost of building this thing is at least an eight of what it costs to maintain a train system . Cost effective solutions like this are in short supply , factors that are gong to effect it are energy needed to run it and what about hidden costs?
    looks like he is not lacking in "Billions" .... i find it an interesting idea but from everything i've seen he forgot the factor "Americans LOVE their cars"

not sure many people survive car accidents at the much lower 100mph..in case of an accident it'll be like a plane crash with the added advantage of not knowing it will happen

so having said that, if anything is ever tested in the US I see highly populated countries in Asia (Japan China) signing on a lot faster than any american city mayor.... my opinion, i could be wrong

you back in Ireland yet or still travelin the US? did you check out Amtrak? you would understand why Elon is coming up with such brilliant ideas...although nothing is worse than the Long Island Rail Road...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    Love the idea, but the carriages look like they're one seat wide, what happens if someone has a medical emergency?
    i think the design is taking into account you're traveling at 700mph, do NOT have any funky heart conditions, are not claustrophobic, are not risk averse, are in a hurry and in for the fun.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by random new yorker View Post
    looks like he is not lacking in "Billions" .... i find it an interesting idea but from everything i've seen he forgot the factor "Americans LOVE their cars"

not sure many people survive car accidents at the much lower 100mph..in case of an accident it'll be like a plane crash with the added advantage of not knowing it will happen

so having said that, if anything is ever tested in the US I see highly populated countries in Asia (Japan China) signing on a lot faster than any american city mayor.... my opinion, i could be wrong

you back in Ireland yet or still travelin the US? did you check out Amtrak? you would understand why Elon is coming up with such brilliant ideas...although nothing is worse than the Long Island Rail Road...
    This day three weeks I will be in NY, grabbin a coffee ? Im in Brooklyn!

Asian countries are open to technology like this, bullet trains...!
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by Shaadi View Post
    Each carriage is designed to hold 28 people. A second option to build a system that would take cars, would raise the price from 6 to 10 Billion. What do you do if you have a medical emergency 30,000 feet over the Atlantic? In these carriages people would experience G forces similar to a roller coaster.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by morticia View Post
    Yes, go, Elon! If there's anyone who can help save us all from the twin evils of peak oil and climate change, it might just be him.

+1000
    In case you missed it earlier, I noted in the OP that Elon is a/the leading investor in Solar City, the largest supplier of residential solar panels in the US. They will put panels on your roof for free. You make lease payments like a car. The panels have a life span of about 15 years.

With all the hype about the Hyperloop's speed and coolness etc. it's often overlooked that the plan calls for it to be 100% powered by solar energy. Which is way "cool" too.

Musk has said that even if this one never gets built, he will likely do some smaller one in the future just to demonstrate proof of principle.

Those who know, say the technology is not the issue. The real problem will be land acquisition, a minimum of 42,000 acres are needed for L.A. to San Fran, and government permitting. The alternative of building it on pillars above the existing Interstate 5 is thought to be too disruptive.

Musk says Hyperloop could be viable for city pairs that are up to 900 miles apart. It's hard to imagine it coming to more densely populated Europe, where land issues are even trickier, anytime soon. Milan to Hamburg?
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    In case you missed it earlier, I noted in the OP that Elon is a/the leading investor in Solar City, the largest supplier of residential solar panels in the US. They will put panels on your roof for free. You make lease payments like a car. The panels have a life span of about 15 years.

With all the hype about the Hyperloop's speed and coolness etc. it's often overlooked that the plan calls for it to be 100% powered by solar energy. Which is way "cool" too.

Musk has said that even if this one never gets built, he will likely do some smaller one in the future just to demonstrate proof of principle.

Those who know, say the technology is not the issue. The real problem will be land acquisition, a minimum of 42,000 acres are needed for L.A. to San Fran, and government permitting. The alternative of building it on pillars above the existing Interstate 5 is thought to be too disruptive.

Musk says Hyperloop could be viable for city pairs that are up to 900 miles apart. It's hard to imagine it coming to more densely populated Europe, where land issues are even trickier, anytime soon. Milan to Hamburg?
    The way could be paved for it through compulsory land purchases I suppose . The bullet trains that are in operation at the moment work off nuclear power, not suggesting this is going to be a source solely but could be used alongside solar panels. The same basis for interconnecting train systems in Europe could be the same basis for any inter European hyperloop that gets built. Uncannily there are a lot of similarities with how they are structured .
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

MUSK'S HYPERLOOP'S POLICY IMPLICATIONS - Entrepreneur Elon Musk's much-discussed new transportation proposal could spell trouble for high-speed rail, even though Hyperloop won't be a reality anytime soon, Pro's Kevin Robillard reports: "For Republicans and interest groups looking to stop construction of the stimulus-funded project connecting San Diego and Sacramento, Musk's futuristic transportation vision is yet another reason to oppose high-speed rail. ... 'If Musk's hyperloop technology works, it'll be a vast improvement over the current high speed rail proposal in California, where costs have more than doubled, estimated travel speeds have slowed, and potential ridership numbers have decreased,' said House Railroads Subcommittee Chairman Jeff Denham said. ... While Musk says he's plenty busy with his existing business ventures, and no government or private entity has publicly expressed interest in the Hyperloop, Musk has given high-speed rail opponents a theoretical alternative. ... High-speed rail's defenders and Hyperloop skeptics have pointed out that Musk seems to be ignoring loads of potential problems." http://politico.pro/16atiyP

Elon Musk's Hyperloop Hits Wall of Skepticism

Elon Musk's Hyperloop sped into a brick wall of political reality Tuesday as California politicians said there was little chance the billionaire inventor's idea for a futuristic transport system would be built soon or on the public's dime.

"I think it's a fascinating concept, but there's a long distance between imagination and implementation," said Bonnie Lowenthal, a Democrat who chairs the California State Assembly's Transportation Committee.
    "Big infrastructure projects in California are very difficult," Ms. Lowenthal added. "We have very complicated funding, we have environmental protections, seismic faults and land acquisition—but that's just the shortlist."
    Some critics of California's existing high-speed rail project, which has taken years to plan and will cost $68 billion, welcomed Mr. Musk's announcement—especially if the project were to be privately funded.

"I think it's a great opportunity for looking at a private-sector solution for more efficient transportation," said Ted Gaines, the Republican vice chair of the state Senate Transportation committee. Mr. Gaines said that he would support the project, but doubted that Democrats would back an alternative to the current plans for high-speed rail.

Dan Richard, chairman of California's high-speed rail authority, suggested that there was more to building a transportation system than just the technology.
    "If and when Mr. Musk pursues his Hyperloop technology, we'll be happy to share our experience about what it really takes to build a project in California, across seismic zones, minimizing impacts on farms, businesses and communities and protecting sensitive environmental areas and species," he said.
    My reaction to the naysayers is that seismic activity etc. hasn't stopped them from paving over large chunks of SoCal and other areas so far

'There is no redeeming feature of the Hyperloop.'

Internet tycoons herald a new era of innovation. Whether you call them vain or visionary, people like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos are driving futuristic tech.

And in other Elon Musk news...................
    Test's on his new reusable space rocket went exactly according to plan. Some people just have all the luck.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknap...her-milestone/

It's been a big week for Elon Musk.
    Tesla Motors said Thursday it has now received 325,000 reservations for its new Model 3, which it says makes it "the single biggest one-week launch of any product ever."
    Never mind that the first units of the car, a five-seat electric model costing $35,000, won't be available until late 2017. But apparently, the excitement alone is enough to keep reservation holders happy. If all the orders are eventually fulfilled, Tesla says it would equate to $14 billion in sales.
    Then Friday night after four unsuccessful attempts, he achieved the milestone that will likely cut the cost of space travel by a big number, and make space cool again.http://www.spacex.com

Well, thanks for that, Count.

An ultra-capitalist who likes state supports.

Apart from PayPal, which he is out of, do any of these things make money ?

an LA Times article revealed that SpaceX, Tesla Motors and SolarCity had together received an estimated US$4.9 billion in government subsidies; the article further noted Tesla Motors and SolarCity's dependence on government support, their continued annual financial net losses, and questioned the possibility of their self-sufficiency. Numerous analysts also pointed to large amounts of government support as a common point to all three of Musk's companies, with one analyst (Dan Dolev) arguing that Musk "definitely goes where there's government money".[119]
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post

allow me to explain to you the difference between Government subsidies and Government contracts and grants.

Government subsidies is the European version of distribution of Euro dollars to companies for reasons such as Size of the Company, how many employees, how much it contributes to GDP, usually made at the discretion of a politician of some sort to benefit one town, one community or one individual.

Government contracts is the American version of distribution of tax dollars to companies after a fierce country wide competition, overseen by a committee subject to mandatory PEER review. To get a US government contract you need to show that whatever you are proposing will advance our knowledge/technology significantly.

Massive difference between the two. When you compete for a US Gov contract there is no guarantee you will get it. On the other hand Companies in EU only need to apply to subsidies, there is no competition and let alone peer review.

In other words only the best of the best get US gov monies and thus they are competing to go to Mars.

What about you guys in Europe, what have you done?

I, for example, compete for grants through my Company (a version of contracts but for research which gives you more freedom to operate) and I never felt one day of my existence that i am living on subsidies from the US government.

Re CF:

Ah now, CF, that's a low blow. Very low!

Tesla stock is up 1,000% since 2013. Google just invested $1B in SpaceX valuing it @$12B. SolarCity is less spectacular but profitable and has revenues of about $400M a year.

Musk responded to the LA Times story, with an interview with them that put their comments in context, excerpts below.. All sectors of the energy and transportation industries receive government money in one form or another. But Musk has gotten a lot less than others, and has bigger plans to save the taxpayer huge amounts of money going forward. No doubt you'll lament the loss of public sector jobs, even if funding them requires ******** the taxpayer.

"If I cared about subsidies, I would have entered the oil and gas industry," said Musk, the chief executive of Tesla Motors and SpaceX and the chairman of SolarCity.

Musk said the subsidies for Tesla and SolarCity are "a pittance" compared with government support of the oil and gas industry.

"What is remarkable about my companies is that they have been successful despite having such a tiny incentive from the government relative to our competitors," Musk told The Times.
    A report late last year by the International Energy Agency said that the fossil fuels industry collects $550 billion a year in global government subsidies. That compares with about $120 billion for renewable energy, including wind, solar and biofuels, according to the Paris-based institution.
    Those figures don't account for the vast difference in size between the two sectors.
    But they also don't include the costs to society caused by pollution from oil and gas, Musk said.
    Another measure, the one cited by Musk, was released by the International Monetary Fund last month and takes a wider view. The IMF said global energy subsidies amount to $5.3 trillion, including an estimated cost of the damage caused by energy consumption.

SpaceX — which has been awarded billions of dollars in government rocket launch contracts, but relatively few subsidies — also competes against companies Musk says are subsidized. United Launch Alliance, a joint venture of Boeing and Lockheed Martin, receives an annual payment of about $1 billion for operational costs, even if it doesn't launch a rocket.
    Representatives of United Launch Alliance were not immediately available to comment late Monday.
    Tesla, Musk said, competes with a mature auto industry that has seen massive federal bailouts for General Motors and Chrysler.
    "Tesla and Ford are the only American auto companies not to have gone bankrupt," Musk said.
    SolarCity, he said, is in a nascent industry that must fight entrenched oil and gas interests that have myriad subsidies.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150602-story.html

Reusable rockets will save the taxpayer many billions. Musk is entitled to a few billion for that alone.

SpaceX, which employs 4,000 people, is offering cheaper rocket and satellite launches than were possible when NASA and the military were in charge. Musk says he can send a satellite into space for $60 million. His main private competitor, United Launch Alliance, a joint venture of Lockheed Martin and Boeing, spends $225 million, ULA’s website says.Reusable Rockets

Musk’s money-saving strategy is to produce reusable rockets, which will return to Earth and land on a seagoing barge. SpaceX called off its second attempt at a barge landing, on Feb. 11, because of heavy seas. The company was due to try again in April. “Aircraft do tens of thousands of flights,” Musk told Bloomberg News in January. If SpaceX rockets can be reused, he said, the cost comes down to “$200,000 to $300,000 per flight in fuel and oxygen versus a $60 million rocket.”

Musk is to the energy/transport sector as Craig Venter was to the Human Genome Project. I wouldn't bet against either of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Venter

His ambitions seem to amount to little more than enclosure and rent. Remarkable how all this stuff gets dressed up and mystified

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    His ambitions seem to amount to little more than enclosure and rent. Remarkable how all this stuff gets dressed up and mystified
    That's the most profound comment on the thread, dripping with sarcasm, envy, and jealousy. This will really upset you. Tesla is far outpacing Google in collecting driving data for self drive cars. Google began it's program in 2009 and with relatively few cars has ammased 1.6M miles of data. Tesla which only began collecting data in 2014 has every car sold reporting data and collectively they've driven 780M miles in the last 18 months, and are adding 1M miles every 10 hours.http://qz.com/694520/tesla-has-780-m...very-10-hours/

Today SpaceX made their 5th successful launch and recapture of a rocket so far this year.

SpaceX Launches Sensitive Military Mission, Nails Landing

Also.........
    There was a lot in Elon Musk's Friday talk at the TED conference. He talked about his plans for tunnels beneath LA, building 2-4 more gigafactories this year ("probably four"), a Tesla semi that handles like a sports car and why he's still hanging out with Donald Trump.
    I tried to capture the high points here. If you want to see the talk for yourself, TED has posted the full interview online.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast