Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chester Beatty Library - Online Catalogue

Default Chester Beatty Library - Online Catalogue

Great museum and library - oriental focus, and also the history of writing. The Library has on display one of the earlest bibilical text fragments in existence amongst many other wonders. Museum, free. Free access to the Library, by appointment.

The online catalogue is here.

http://www.cbl.ie/getdoc/9c7559d1-0e...ding-Room.aspx

Default Re: Chester Beatty Library - Online Catalogue

One of the great collections, and worthy of comparison with the British Museum as a museum of the history of the book. Among other treasures, they have a Koran by Ibn al-Bawwab. Given that, due to the ban on figurative painting, calligraphy is perhaps the most prized of the visual arts in the Muslim world, and that Ibn al-Bawwab is probably the most revered calligrapher, that's a bit like having the Mona Lisa in Dublin. Well worth visiting and revisiting.

It is a national treasure. If you have never been go.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Can someone please confirm, I seem to remember reading a while back that it moved from it's original Ballsbridge location to Dublin Castle/ Royal Hospital???
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Clicked the link and answered my own question thx.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Hapax View Post
    One of the great collections, and worthy of comparison with the British Museum as a museum of the history of the book. Among other treasures, they have a Koran by Ibn al-Bawwab.
    This collection is of little or no value to the people of Ireland. The collection should be sold off and the proceeds used to preserve irish antiquities, which are often bought up by american collectors and end up in american universities.

There is a good market for this tat in Dubai. We should be able to raise €100m by selling it to the sheikhs. And then use the proceeds to preserve our own irish antiquities and cultural artefacts.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWedge View Post
    This collection is of little or no value to the people of Ireland. The collection should be sold off and the proceeds used to preserve irish antiquities, which are often bought up by american collectors and end up in american universities.

There is a good market for this tat in Dubai. We should be able to raise €100m by selling it to the sheikhs. And then use the proceeds to preserve our own irish antiquities and cultural artefacts.
    There is a lot of value to be had in the books, its a connection the past to our world and our future . Collections like these are testament to the hard work of collectors of such items and their stunning beauty ensures that we have a legacy for the generations. The tourist bucks too ensure that there are at least a few people kept in a job. Come on wedge yer being a tad myopic a chara!...

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Clicked the link and answered my own question thx.
    If you are ever up just go via Dublin Castle, some nice grounds on the front CB
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

This collection is of little or no value to the people of Ireland.
    I have no doubt that many thousands of Irish people go to view the collection every year and derive great pleasure from it.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Just a titbit from the hammer,

Caroline Grey, wife of our friend Alan sits on the board. Hanafin appointment

You're dead right, of course. This is, after all, an island, and there's not enough room on it for ourselves really, never mind all these tawdry foreign gewgaws. But surely we should start at the beginning, and do things in an orderly fashion, no?

So where would you suggest we begin, ZW? I understand that Freeland Thompson has identified the fairies as probably a legacy from pre-Celtic times, so I'd suggest you keep them with you on the island, but would you want to be even more radical in your imaginative vision?

Quote Originally Posted by Hapax View Post
    This is, after all, an island, and there's not enough room on it for ourselves really, never mind all these tawdry foreign gewgaws. But surely we should start at the beginning, and do things in an orderly fashion, no?

So where would you suggest we begin, ZW? I understand that Freeland Thompson has identified the fairies as probably a legacy from pre-Celtic times, so I'd suggest you keep them with you on the island, but would you want to be even more radical in your imaginative vision?
    Standard juvenile debating tactic of sarcasm and name-calling when you havent a clue how to articulate a counter argument. You lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    I have no doubt that many thousands of Irish people go to view the collection every year and derive great pleasure from it.
    Youre opinion on this doesnt matter because you are not contributing any taxes towards it. I am.

If you show me a screenshot of your donation receipt to this library, then I will be happy to listen to your opinions all day. But as long as Im paying for this library and youre not, please pipe down.

Heres the link for you to make youre contribution
    http://cbl.ie/Support-The-Library/Introduction.aspx

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

lol for someone who stirs the ***** as much as you do Wedge yer not doing yourself any favours! (but I still like ya !!)
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    The tourist bucks too ensure that there are at least a few people kept in a job. Come on wedge yer being a tad myopic a chara!...
    Tourists do not come to ireland to view islamic art.

In fact, we could greatly improve our tourist product offering, by selling this islamic art and recycling the money into irish artefacts, that would be a big tourist draw. I know a lot of american tourists who think our tourist offering is weak and needs to be bolstered with more irish attractions. Thats why they come to ireland, to see irish stuff. Its not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    lol for someone who stirs the ***** as much as you do Wedge yer not doing yourself any favours!
    I dont need, want or request any favours. Rugged self reliance, is one of my core values

Its what being a libertarian is all about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast