Thread: TB making an unwanted comeback in London

Default TB making an unwanted comeback in London

I doubt the Olympic Committee had this in their plans

The airborne bacteria has taken root in a population of recent immigrants, addicts and homeless who live close to affluent business districts and may pose a risk for those they rub elbows with.

“You wouldn’t expect to see that,” says Brian McCloskey, the Health Protection Agency’s regional director for London. “TB is one of the biggest public health problems we have.”

One hotspot is Tower Hamlets, a borough that draws together Canary Wharf, the home of some of Europe’s largest banks, and pockets of poverty that stretch along the Thames’ old docks east of the Tower of London and north past Whitechapel, where Jack the Ripper preyed on prostitutes in 1888.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0....sustain.story
    "The land Coillte Teo is now selling for development was given to them by the State in 1988 to ensure that our woodlands were run commercially, not to enable them to sell the family silver to service bank loans".
    - Friends of the Irish Environment, 28.04.2003

Default Re: TB making an unwanted comeback in London

Was down in the brother's last week and one of his way showing off the fresh scar from the BCG vaccine. I was telling her how I was the only who didn't get one - and the ubiquitous scar - when it came around for us in school. I always thought I had got it previously when I caught myself on a rusty fence and the doc threw it in with tetanus but it turned out the whole family had got it years back. The brother was nearly killed by TB in his early twenties. Picked it up as a trainee chef in the 80s, sleeping for years in shitty diggs. We could never figure out how he wasn't vaccinated until years later one of his mates was telling us about the day the brother broke his leg in school and was taken off to hospital.....while the rest of his class got the shot.

To this day brother was more sour about "the ****** who tripped him" then nearly dying from TB..

Default Maidir Le: TB making an unwanted comeback in London

Tower Hamlets?. Jeez. I thought that place had been razed to the ground. Clearly not.

Default Re: Maidir Le: TB making an unwanted comeback in London

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    Tower Hamlets?. Jeez. I thought that place had been razed to the ground. Clearly not.
    Totally unwarranted comment, Spec. Some of my best friseans live in TW
    I call on you to withdraw.
    Now!

Default Maidir Le: TB making an unwanted comeback in London

There was a campaign to save an estate in Tower Hamlets on the grounds that it represented 'a very fine example of brutalist architecture'. The Council finally agreed to demolition on March 16th this year.

"The campaign to save Robin Hood Gardens drew very little support from those who actually had to live in the building, with more than 75% of residents supporting its demolition when consulted by the local authority.[4]

http://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/lgsl/851-900/868_housing_strategy_and_polic/housing_regeneration_strategy.aspx"

_demolition_of_robin_hood_gardens_in_poplar_1_1240 479

Default Re: Maidir Le: TB making an unwanted comeback in London

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]There was a campaign to save an estate in Tower Hamlets on the grounds that it represented 'a very fine example of brutalist architecture'.
    Shouldn't that be "brutal architecture" ....
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Default Maidir Le: Re: Maidir Le: TB making an unwanted comeback in London

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    Shouldn't that be "brutal architecture" ....

In fairness, not all architects are more concerned with style than substance:

"One of the most worrying implications of inadequate housing/living conditions in the UK is the effect on TB transmission."

http://www.archiveuk.org/uk-mission/archives-work-globally/

Immunisation is more the issue than architecture, I suspect.

Dismantling the National Health Service comes with a price attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    Was down in the brother's last week and one of his way showing off the fresh scar from the BCG vaccine. I was telling her how I was the only who didn't get one - and the ubiquitous scar - when it came around for us in school. I always thought I had got it previously when I caught myself on a rusty fence and the doc threw it in with tetanus but it turned out the whole family had got it years back. The brother was nearly killed by TB in his early twenties. Picked it up as a trainee chef in the 80s, sleeping for years in shitty diggs. We could never figure out how he wasn't vaccinated until years later one of his mates was telling us about the day the brother broke his leg in school and was taken off to hospital.....while the rest of his class got the shot.

To this day brother was more sour about "the ****** who tripped him" then nearly dying from TB..
    I know an elderly man in Limerick.

He caught TB as a child and was sent to the only children's hospital in the then poor Nation (progress hasn't affected some things).

His family could only afford to visit once a month so his involvement with folk from home was limited.

He recovered after 2 yers and was sent home, only to be shunned by all his former friends as he had picked up a Dublin accent.

Took him 6 months to lose it and start talking proper
    "The land Coillte Teo is now selling for development was given to them by the State in 1988 to ensure that our woodlands were run commercially, not to enable them to sell the family silver to service bank loans".

start talking proper

UNWANTED COMEBACK IN iRELAND NOW?

A public health emergency is under way after a student was diagnosed with drug-resistant TB, an extremely aggressive form of the disease which has mutated to effectively outgun existing treatments.

The Irish Examiner understands the case involves a 16-year-old in Galway who was diagnosed with the condition last week. The teenager, who cannot be identified due to age, was brought to hospital last Thursday. The student’s classmates, their families, and teachers at his school will be told they need to be screened for the extremely virulent condition by official letters today.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...#ixzz1vUBy4sqH

Very simple and effective method of preventing transmission of it is to ensure patients wear masks. Recent survey done found that there was a reduction in transmission

http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/conten.../1104.abstract
    Cause I can’t change, I can’t change the world alone
    I need you all, everybody, start dreaming of it
    And take your step that’s gonna make a difference and change your world
    - Hotel FM

www.fluffybiscuits.org - Eccentric,Utopian and a tad mad