Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P&O and workers rights

Default P&O and workers rights

Not content with paying their staff 75p an hour in some cases, P&O have said they are going to withhold customer tips if staff do not perform. Reports of this were met with grown men who were in tears at the news that some of their tips which supplement their meagre earnings were going to be held back unless they hit new targets . Have P & O no respect at all for members of staff? Capitalism treating workers like something at the bottom of their shoe...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...e-bonuses-tips
    Cause I can’t change, I can’t change the world alone
    I need you all, everybody, start dreaming of it
    And take your step that’s gonna make a difference and change your world
    - Hotel FM

www.fluffybiscuits.org - Eccentric,Utopian and a tad mad

Default Re: P&O and workers rights

Could these grown men not contact their shop stewards and/or lawyers instead of simply breaking down in tears?

At the bottom end of the scale, a junior waiter on a ship sailing out of Southampton now earns a basic salary of £250 a month, for shifts lasting a minimum of 11 hours, seven days a week, with a possible £150 extra in bonuses. According to documents seen by the Guardian, this is "a significantly increased basic salary".
    When you open your labour market to third world labour, this is what happens to wages.

Bear this in mind, when FineGael + Labour pass the immigration bill through the Dail over the next couple of months. Wages have only one way to go and that is down. Executive remuneration packages will soar.

Welcome to the multicultural economy.

You don't need to open your borders to 3rd world labour. Just being a member of the EU is enough. If they don't like what you earn, they cut it for you. As we found out with a 23% cut in one foul swoop, and more to come. At the same time the cost of public transport doubled, and the Troika is now blackmailing the Greek government with witholding a 350 million Euro package for the upgrading of our electricity network, unless the price per unit to the consumer is raised with 50%.
    We now have people in Greece working for € 585 per month (Before tax!), and putting in a 60 hour week for that. Those very same people are being told that if they don't take a paycut, they will be made redundant and new, cheaper labour will be hired. Welcome to the European Union, Merkel style.
    This does not take away from the plight of the P&O workers, it just goes to show that it really doesn't matter who you are, where you come from, or what colour your skin is. We are all equal when being screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephilant View Post
    You don't need to open your borders to 3rd world labour. Just being a member of the EU is enough. If they don't like what you earn, they cut it for you. As we found out with a 23% cut in one foul swoop, and more to come. At the same time the cost of public transport doubled, and the Troika is now blackmailing the Greek government with witholding a 350 million Euro package for the upgrading of our electricity network, unless the price per unit to the consumer is raised with 50%.
    We now have people in Greece working for € 585 per month (Before tax!), and putting in a 60 hour week for that. Those very same people are being told that if they don't take a paycut, they will be made redundant and new, cheaper labour will be hired. Welcome to the European Union, Merkel style.
    This does not take away from the plight of the P&O workers, it just goes to show that it really doesn't matter who you are, where you come from, or what colour your skin is. We are all equal when being screwed.
    Yes. Now that the European states have lost their colonies can't exploit Asian and African workers, and instead have to compete with them, their only answer is to drive down wages to compete. The only way things have ever been improved is through trade unionism, organisation and action by workers.
    The need to shorten the working week, world wide, is screamingly obvious, as there is a crisis of overproduction, but the bosses can't do it, as they have to compete with each other. We have to organise and do it ourselves.

Maybe if Greece hadnt squandered all its tax revenue on military spending, you would have money to upgrade your electricity network. If the troika is paying for the upgrade, then the troika is the one to decide the price of electricity. If you dont like that you are free to pay for it yourself.

I was looking at Athens on Google Earth and I saw lots and lots of private swimming pools. It doesnt look like a poor country to me. Stop blaming the EU for your own problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWedge View Post
    I was looking at Athens on Google Earth and I saw lots and lots of private swimming pools. It doesnt look like a poor country to me. Stop blaming the EU for your own problems.
    You were probably looking at the Troika headquarters and "Little Europe". Try looking left of the square, you might just see the result of EU policy in it's full glory, the poverty and depravation inflicted on a people who have absolutely nothing to do with what caused the problems here. As for military spending, this is forced on Greece by the EU, as part of the so called "bailout". The EU give us 130 billion to save their banks, we pay back with the interest, and are told that by the way you also have to spend some 11 billion of French and German weaponry, otherwise no deal. It's one way of keeping the Franco/German economy going. But I'm sure you'll find out all by yourself when it's your turn.
    We are fully aware of the problems caused by our politicians. They were voted in to do a job for the country, not to nail it to the walls. A lot of that will be remedied tomorrow, have no fear. But condemning a population of 11 million people to poverty in order to save Paris Bas, Europa Banks, Alpha Bank, Pireaus Bank etc. from their gambling mistakes is a little rich. Following your line of thinking, I suppose it's only proper order that you're paying for Seanies' 127 million loan and finger's pesnion etc. Or do we apply different standards depending on race, colour and geographic location?
    Last edited by Ephilant; 05-05-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Stop blaming the EU for your own problems.
    I suppose you are right, what are they complaining about, they've only got themselves to blame for this, all 3 million of them.They should go back to their swimming pools, or to their own country and give us back our jobs...

All I see in those photos is normal well fed people going about their business.

You left wingers dont know the meaning of the word poverty. We have the same idiotic leftwingers in Ireland saying family on less than €62k a year is in poverty.

For instance, a one-parent household where the parent is working full-time with two children aged two and 10, in an urban house with a mortgage of €1,400 per month needs an annual income of €63,277,76 per year, according to the calculator.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking45.html

specsavers time, and while you're at it, a little humanity and compassion may be purchased en route.
    We do unfortunately have a few people of your frame of mind here as well. According to the polls about 5% of them...

specsavers time, and while you're at it, a little humanity and compassion may be purchased en route.
    Compassion for the most vulnerable in society on €62k at year. GTFO

I don't know where the 62,000€ comes from, but I do know that those well fed people you see going about their normal business aren't anywhere near that. I would even put down a bet that most if not all of them are on 0€, full stop.
    And I witness, on a daily basis, the devastation caused by theEU policies imposed on this country. I don't have the luxury, nor do I claim the right, of judging people from a plush 3 seater watching a 52" screen TV. I live in the real world, with real people. They don't read the Irish times and don't need the bullshit and downright lies being spread about them. They are too busy trying to survive for another day. And those that can't take it anymore become a statistic, 2 a day.
    The youngest full time user of our shelter will be 2 months old soon. I'll tell her that Uncle Paddy knows she's only got herself to thank for the situation she's in, and that he quite obviously couldn't give a rat's.... about her or any of the other 498 full time lodgers or 1600 odd full time users of our soup kitchen. And we are in a very well off part of the country, on paper anyway. No swimming pools though.

The youngest full time user of our shelter will be 2 months old soon. I'll tell her that Uncle Paddy knows she's only got herself to thank for the situation she's in, and that he quite obviously couldn't give a rat's.
    So if shes only two months old she must have been conceived after the country went bust.

Thats a great decision by her parents. What kind of idiot decides to have a family when theyre living in a homeless shelter?

Please, leftie youre breaking my heart with your tales of poverty stupidity.

Do yourself a favour an sign up for some volunteer work with the Dublin Simon community or so. It does wonders for you opening your mind, and it really is never to late to experience for the first time what it's like to feel, act and think like a human being.
    Failing that, have another 6-pack fuelled, brainless TV night, and as my illigal immigrant Tunesian friend would wish on you,
    "May your crotch get infested with the fleas of 10,000 camels, and may your arms be too short to scratch..."

When you open your labour market to third world labour, this is what happens to wages.

Bear this in mind, when FineGael + Labour pass the immigration bill through the Dail over the next couple of months. Wages have only one way to go and that is down. Executive remuneration packages will soar.

Welcome to the multicultural economy.
    If it wasn't for you Pat, we'd have no-one to defend us against the foreign hordes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast