Thread: Early Mid-Season

Default Early Mid-Season

OK, for those of you who are growing your own - put aside time this weekend to mold your potatos and weed, weed, weed - even if its raining.

Any weeded nettle or horsetail put in a sealed bucket and leave for at least two weeks steeped in water, this makes a great combo spray - fertilizer - anti blight - anti butterfly/caterpillar spray.

Its time to transplant seedlings outside - for french beans and other 'softies' like courgette hold off another week or two, there may be a bit of a cold snap coming in, certainly in sheltered areas there may be a little hoare frost.

Feedback would be appreiciated - how many of you are growing your own?

Default Re: Early Mid-Season

Hi Simonj, well some of those "sharppes express" spuds that I mentioned on your "spuds this year" thread finally decided to put in an appearance.None of them are tall enough to earth up and some of them still haven't even come overground yet!
    I know spuds like sunshine and so am really surprised at this crop. I have one drill nine yards long and it is close to a north-east-ish facing wall (the only part of the garden ceded to me after long and arduous negotiations). Now the funny thing is the spuds that get most sunlight havent broken ground yet, the one that gets least sunshine is the tallest, and there is like a sliding scale between them depending on the ammount of sunshine and shade they get. The more sunshine the slower growing.
    Now that I think about it, the shaded spuds will probably be all stalk, seeking the sun, while the more sun exposed spuds are taking their time and will produce a marvelous crop. Well I hope so, If I don't produce spuds my plans for slow expansion will be thwarted. Also my better half knows my mind too well and as I was thinking "sure a trip to the supermarket when no one is around, rub a bit of clay on them and Bobs your uncle" I was informed that the exhumation of what little spuds I do manage to produce must be witnessed by her! Damit!! how does she do that?
    Anyway, the upshot is if Sharpps express don't produce a crop this year my plans for next years crop, not to mention my self esteem, will be in runes. And I intend to share my success or humiliation with the collected PW readership. So any advice Simonj, would be appreciated.

Default Re: Early Mid-Season

Hi Eamo, sorry - meant to get back to you earlier.
    Earth up the spuds, potatos are tough - they want to grow and dont mind a litle rough treatment.

Earth them up after applying a top dressing of fertilier - any general liquid or solid plat food will do but you can get specific fertilizer for spuds in garden centres.

Dont worry about he slow growth, here in the west t has been an unusually cold and dry May, they will come on.

Sharpes express are a first early, you can start to harvest after they flower