Thread: Comet Thatcher produces fireballs and sonic booms in the Sierra Nevada

Default Comet Thatcher produces fireballs and sonic booms in the Sierra Nevada

The sound of a powerful explosion punctuated the calm over a wide area of the Sierra Nevada in Northern California about 8:30 a.m. today, the apparent result of an ongoing meteor shower left by the annual Earth fly-by of Comet Thatcher. Craig Shoemaker, meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Sacramento, said the Lyrid meteor shower - the debris cloud left by the comet as it makes its annual pass -- is capable of producing fireballs and sonic booms, "similar as a plane would make" when it crosses the sound barrier.

The Lyrid meteor shower is at its peak today and Monday, Shoemaker said.

Georgann Wilmot, a resident who lives on a mountain ridge east of Sutter Creek, told The Bee she heard a "tremendous explosion" that seemed protracted about 8:30 a.m. "It went on for a while," she said. "We heard one big one and then there other rumblings" and that persisted, reminiscent of thunder. At first I thought maybe it was an earthquake," she said.

Source

Just another spectacular cosmic show or a portent of doom for She-who-must-not-be-named???
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Default Re: Comet Thatcher produces fireballs and sonic booms in the Sierra Nevada

Strange things happening in the West... Cowan died there today, not too far away.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.