Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Journal.ie

Default The Journal.ie

With all the discussion recently about who owns what paper and the debate over media ownership, (I had no idea so many are controlled by one man) I was wondering who or what controls the journal.ie?

I ask cause it's my main (Irish) news site these days.

Default Re: The Journal.ie

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    With all the discussion recently about who owns what paper and the debate over media ownership, (I had no idea so many are controlled by one man) I was wondering who or what controls the journal.ie?

I ask cause it's my main (Irish) news site these days.
    Eamon and Brian Fallon who were the founders of daft.ie. They also have a majority stake in boards.ie.

two kids who set up Daft.ie as a transition year project and made millions. They have stakes in boards.ie and adverts.ie. And own the journal and its sister news sites.
    There was a phoenix profile a while back, il dig it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    two kids who set up Daft.ie as a transition year project and made millions. They have stakes in boards.ie and adverts.ie. And own the journal and its sister news sites.
    There was a phoenix profile a while back, il dig it out.
    November 4, 2011

Eamonn (34) and Brian Fallon (29) are best known as the boys behind the propertyrelated website, Daft.ie. In 2008, the Sunday Times estimated that they were worth €16m and put them at 16th place in a list of Irish millionaires aged 30 and under. (Earlier this year, that list put Brian in ninth position, estimating that he is worth €8m.) In 2008, the brothers sold a 25% stake in Daft.ie to a US hedge fund called Tiger Global, making them multimillionaires. Now the boys have turned their attention to other projects, including The Journal, with the help of all that lolly they made in the Tiger Global sale. The Journal was Brian Fallon’s idea and a company called Distilled Media Ltd, which was incorporated in April 2010,
    Phoenix November 4, 2011

Do you reckon these guys have an agenda that thejournal.ie may be used to further?

Money I reckon. Why have you spotted something?

Do you reckon these guys have an agenda that thejournal.ie may be used to further?
    Just a money-making project, not for the good of journalism or reporting. With the rise of social media, twitter etc they saw a few bucks to be made. Definitely has a reactionary/middle-class/clueless-Celtic Tiger-cub slant to it. They have editorials attacking public sector workers regular as clock work about once a month.

That said, the comments section has gotten very popular. The more popular it has gotten, it has gotten a bit more progressive. Often more informed than the articles themselves.
    "Fascinating, watching the world act as though it still had a financial system. Using the toilet, when the pipes are gone." - some guy on twitter

Been some great opinion pieces on there to be fair though that's down to the contributors of course

Quote Originally Posted by unspecific715 View Post
    Just a money-making project, not for the good of journalism or reporting. With the rise of social media, twitter etc they saw a few bucks to be made. Definitely has a reactionary/middle-class/clueless-Celtic Tiger-cub slant to it. They have editorials attacking public sector workers regular as clock work about once a month.

That said, the comments section has gotten very popular. The more popular it has gotten, it has gotten a bit more progressive. Often more informed than the articles themselves.

They have a big lick arse posse. Someone makes a smart or satirical comment and it gets thumbs down. Still they had some hilarious pro lifers waffling on about the Claire Daly motion. I read it for a hoot. Some complete knob ends on the comments section, makes for a "I despair of the youth of today" thinking moment...
    Cause I can’t change, I can’t change the world alone
    I need you all, everybody, start dreaming of it
    And take your step that’s gonna make a difference and change your world
    - Hotel FM

www.fluffybiscuits.org - Eccentric,Utopian and a tad mad

There was hope these could be incorporated into the site

Often the best thing about that site are the opinion pieces - however the journal.ie rarely gives the full info about who the contributers are, and what groups they are members of. I noticed that a number of Labour party activists have had pieces on there, but their party affiliation was not mentioned. Had I not known them personally wouldn't have copped it.

So just who are these contributers? One of the most active is David McCann, a PHD student in the north who spends a lot of time slagging off Sinn Fein. Anyone know anything else about him? (or any other contributers - for transparencies sake)
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Often the best thing about that site are the opinion pieces - however the journal.ie rarely gives the full info about who the contributers are, and what groups they are members of. I noticed that a number of Labour party activists have had pieces on there, but their party affiliation was not mentioned. Had I not known them personally wouldn't have copped it.

So just who are these contributers? One of the most active is David McCann, a PHD student in the north who spends a lot of time slagging off Sinn Fein. Anyone know anything else about him? (or any other contributers - for transparencies sake)
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Good thread, Saoirse go Deo. As the Journal is online only, I tend to dip in via links, not to scour it front to back. Good to have a proper look at it.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

This http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/medi...58231-Jan2013/

Down as a Parliamentary Assistant to Labour's Michael Conaghan. I also notice they are an 'Associate' with Karl Brophy's new PR outfit.

Never picked up much of an overt slant in their reporting tbh though rarely read much more then an article a day. Gav Reilly who's just moved onto to todayfm is a good political reporter. I know they were very accommodating with Shelltosea during the rape tapes but you would wonder who was benefiting from those euroleaks a while back. Hint of documents seen by RTÉ to it.

People getting opinion pieces is probably just asking for them tbh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast