Thread: Public Sector Worker Allowances to be Cut

Default Public Sector Worker Allowances to be Cut

I would be interested to see figures on cuts in pensions and wage levels in the Public Sector to date.

The Government is now proposing to cut Allowances.

In some cases perhaps Allowances are historic and are the "icing on the cake.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking23.html

Default Re: Public Sector Worker Allowances to be Cut

he Department of Public Expenditure and Reform is currently evaluating around 800 different allowances paid to staff across the public service. Up to now the department has signalled that only new beneficiaries would be affected by any Government decision to scrap particular allowances.
    What does 'new beneficiaries' mean?

“We must ensure that the agreement works for our bright and talented public servants, supporting them to achieve their full potential.
    Not just 'bright and talented' but also a bit sickly if the €500 million is a measure!

I did some work for a state company way back in 2000/2001 - tutoring on accounting and business applications on PCs - and was AH-feckin-MAZED at the "icing on the cake" that state employees were receiving. I was putting in 40 hours a week over 18 months and these state guys and gals were on 35 hours with lots of time off ... lesson preparation they called it.
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    What does 'new beneficiaries' mean?

Not just 'bright and talented' but also a bit sickly if the €500 million is a measure!

I did some work for a state company way back in 2000/2001 - tutoring on accounting and business applications on PCs - and was AH-feckin-MAZED at the "icing on the cake" that state employees were receiving. I was putting in 40 hours a week over 18 months and these state guys and gals were on 35 hours with lots of time off ... lesson preparation they called it.
    I honestly don;t think Howlin has the stones to deal with the above.
    Another job for the troika to push through.

Pesky Public Service workers ... crucify them!
    Last edited by d.vader; 20-04-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by d.vader View Post
    Pesky Public Service workers ... crucify them!
    Make them pay for the nails though.

I think that the Gardai could probably do without the allowance that some of them apparently get to compensate for not being eligible for another allowance.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I would be interested to see figures on cuts in pensions and wage levels in the Public Sector to date.

The Government is now proposing to cut Allowances.

In some cases perhaps Allowances are historic and are the "icing on the cake.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking23.html
    There is a number of cases I believe that are going to be heard by the ;LRC for staff who are looking for acting up grade wages. They are doing jobs of others in the civil service who are at a higher grade but getting paid less money. Saw Howling also announced that its not going to be easy. They may very well start looking at redundancies in the public sector....
    Cause I can’t change, I can’t change the world alone
    I need you all, everybody, start dreaming of it
    And take your step that’s gonna make a difference and change your world
    - Hotel FM

www.fluffybiscuits.org - Eccentric,Utopian and a tad mad

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...315009439.html

"[Howlin] said that over the period 2009 to 2015, it was expected that the exchequer pay bill would reduce from €17.5 billion to €13.7 billion as a result of measures agreed under the Croke Park deal. “That amounts to a saving of €3.8 billion from the peak of the public pay bill."

What he didn't say was how much of that 'saving' went straight back out of the exchequer in dole/FIS payments.

No doubt the left will soon lobby to have anyone who works/worked in the PS denied access to SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...315009439.html

"[Howlin] said that over the period 2009 to 2015, it was expected that the exchequer pay bill would reduce from €17.5 billion to €13.7 billion as a result of measures agreed under the Croke Park deal. “That amounts to a saving of €3.8 billion from the peak of the public pay bill."

What he didn't say was how much of that 'saving' went straight back out of the exchequer in dole/FIS payments.

No doubt the left will soon lobby to have anyone who works/worked in the PS denied access to SW.

Unions would have something to say on that...
    - Hotel FM

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Unions would have something to say on that...
    Saying is easy. They said a lot to Lenny the Liar. They didn't do much though, other than organise a short work to rule to let the members vent.

Saying is easy. They said a lot to Lenny the Liar. They didn't do much though, other than organise a short work to rule to let the members vent.
    The huge issue there was and still is the unions are only looking out for their own members interest soley and have not looked into forming any sort of coalition. We are essentially by ourselves in the union...
    - Hotel FM

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    The huge issue there was and still is the unions are only looking out for their own members interest soley and have not looked into forming any sort of coalition. We are essentially by ourselves in the union...
    A united action to switch off the entire PS for 2 or 3 days when the so-called pension levy was introduced might have been enough to topple Lenihan and possibly even the government.

A united action to switch off the entire PS for 2 or 3 days when the so-called pension levy was introduced might have been enough to topple Lenihan and possibly even the government.
    Unions are myopic, the reps get looked down on... but you are correct it would have toppled Lenihan, the back lash would have been immense...
    - Hotel FM