Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Alabama: Where Raging B1tch & Fat Bastard are OK but Dirty Bastard is banned

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,877

    Default Alabama: Where Raging B1tch & Fat Bastard are OK but Dirty Bastard is banned

    YOU CAN BUY Fat Bastard wine in Alabama, but you’ll have to go elsewhere for Dirty Bastard beer.

    The state’s alcoholic beverage control agency has today banned the sale of Dirty Bastard beer in the state because of the profanity on its label. Beer and wine are commonly sold in grocery and convenience stores and anyone can see the labels, so staff members rejected the brand because parents may not want young people to see rough language on the shelves, said Bob Martin, an attorney with the Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board.

    “That’s the whole reason for the rule, to keep dirty pictures and dirty words away from children,” he said. “Personally, I believe the staff made the right call.”



    Workers at the agency consulted sources including the Federal Communications Commission and Wikipedia to develop a list of objectionable words that should not appear on product labels, Martin said, and the list includes “bastard”. The state allows the sale of Fat Bastard wine and also approved the sale of another brand of beer called Raging *****, Martin said, but both of those decisions were made years ago. “I have no idea how or why or exactly when that went through,” he said. He said the agency considered revoking those earlier approvals when it denied the application for Dirty Bastard, but officials decided against such action.

    The Michigan-based Founders Brewing company, which makes Dirty Bastard, can appeal the decision to the agency’s board, which meets next month. A company spokesman did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

    More Here
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    6,259

    Default Re: Alabama: Where Raging B1tch & Fat Bastard are OK but Dirty Bastard is banned

    Andrew, I sometimes wonder about you, and where ya be goin on the interwebs. Raging *itch is great, it’s made in Frederick Md, about 30 miles from me. Here’s a few other labels.

    http://news.yahoo.com/mich-allows-sa...215213351.html

    http://aleheads.com/2011/07/26/most-...e-beer-labels/

    http://www.oddee.com/item_96809.aspx
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,877

    Default Re: Alabama: Where Raging B1tch & Fat Bastard are OK but Dirty Bastard is banned

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Andrew, I sometimes wonder about you, and where ya be goin on the interwebs. Raging *itch is great, it’s made in Frederick Md, about 30 miles from me. Here’s a few other labels.

    http://news.yahoo.com/mich-allows-sa...215213351.html

    http://aleheads.com/2011/07/26/most-...e-beer-labels/

    http://www.oddee.com/item_96809.aspx
    Raging B is a beautiful drink - I think some American beers could be used as a substitute for food! I even have a six-pack of Duff beer!!

    The Hitler beer ... hmmm!..... only in America ... although probably not Alabama

    I've a few relatives over yonder and they keep me updated between visits of the weird and the wonderful ...... which always seems to be just around the next corner.

    I love Americana
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    6,259

    Default Re: Alabama: Where Raging B1tch & Fat Bastard are OK but Dirty Bastard is banned

    Guess what made Numero Uno on This Week in Bans:
    http://www.theatlanticcities.com/nei...ard-beer/1809/
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

  5. #5
    Kev Bar Guest

    Default Re: Alabama: Where Raging B1tch & Fat Bastard are OK but Dirty Bastard is banned

    Is that beer label done by Hunter's S T's illustrating sidekick Ralph Steadman?
    Last edited by Kev Bar; 20-04-2012 at 07:58 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,877

    Default Re: Alabama: Where Raging B1tch & Fat Bastard are OK but Dirty Bastard is banned

    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Bar View Post
    Is that beer label done by Hunter's S T's illustrating sidekick Ralph Steadman?
    Yeah!

    With his inky caricatures, Ralph Steadman has made a distinguished career out of pricking the pomposity of the establishment. But the British cartoonist is unlikely to have imagined that it would be his design for a beer label that would see his work banned on grounds of public health and the subject of a censorship battle now raging in the American courts.

    The 74-year-old, whose work has featured frequently in The Independent, is at the heart of a legal case against an unlikely foe in the shape of the Michigan Liquor Commission, after it decided to ban a luridly named pale ale called Raging *****, on the grounds that his cartoon label and accompanying slogan was "detrimental to the public health, safety and welfare".

    A claim for damages was this week brought by the US-based producer of the beer, which sells 900,000 cases worldwide – including in Britain – on the grounds that the decision violates the First Amendment guaranteeing freedom of expression under the American Constitution and unfairly besmirches Steadman's right to produce eye-catching art.

    Source
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

  7. #7
    Kev Bar Guest

    Default Re: Alabama: Where Raging B1tch & Fat Bastard are OK but Dirty Bastard is banned

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    Yeah!

    With his inky caricatures, Ralph Steadman has made a distinguished career out of pricking the pomposity of the establishment. But the British cartoonist is unlikely to have imagined that it would be his design for a beer label that would see his work banned on grounds of public health and the subject of a censorship battle now raging in the American courts.

    The 74-year-old, whose work has featured frequently in The Independent, is at the heart of a legal case against an unlikely foe in the shape of the Michigan Liquor Commission, after it decided to ban a luridly named pale ale called Raging *****, on the grounds that his cartoon label and accompanying slogan was "detrimental to the public health, safety and welfare".

    A claim for damages was this week brought by the US-based producer of the beer, which sells 900,000 cases worldwide – including in Britain – on the grounds that the decision violates the First Amendment guaranteeing freedom of expression under the American Constitution and unfairly besmirches Steadman's right to produce eye-catching art.

    Source
    That's a rather cool yarn.

  8. #8
    Kev Bar Guest

    Default Re: Alabama: Where Raging B1tch & Fat Bastard are OK but Dirty Bastard is banned

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Andrew, I sometimes wonder about you, and where ya be goin on the interwebs. Raging *itch is great, it’s made in Frederick Md, about 30 miles from me. Here’s a few other labels.

    http://news.yahoo.com/mich-allows-sa...215213351.html

    http://aleheads.com/2011/07/26/most-...e-beer-labels/

    http://www.oddee.com/item_96809.aspx
    I think we should draw Capt Con's attention to the second link.

    http://aleheads.com/2011/07/26/most-...e-beer-labels/
    He may find that some of the religious based labels tickle his palate.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    6,259

    Default Re: Alabama: Where Raging B1tch & Fat Bastard are OK but Dirty Bastard is banned

    I’m no lawyer, but I wouldn’t be too optimistic on the lawsuit. Constitution provides for free speech/expression which favors the artist. Constitution also provides for the states to regulate the sale of alcohol. When a conflict arises between two provisions the more specific provision usually prevails. Free speech is not unlimited; shouting fire in a crowded theater is out. Michigan can argue that the beer is not banned in other states so the Federal role/interest is limited at best.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us