Thread: Spuds this year

Default Spuds this year

Just waiting on the last of the seed spuds to arrive.

I had rooster saved over from last year as seed, but figure they are easily available, so those will just be used to fill in any space left over.

When growing my own potato I like to choose different types, a mix of proven, heritage and new.

This years earlies are Caitriona and Nicola

Mains this year are Sarpo Mira and Setanta - both of which grow well here

Heritage are home saved Mr Littles Yetholm Gypsy, 3rd year- a full ridge from the original 6 purchased two years ago.
    A new heritage trial in the Garden are Shetland Blacks given to me as a gift
    A new trial maincrop is Toluca from Mexico

Default Re: Spuds this year

I planted spuds for the first time over St. Patrick's weekend. "Sharppes Express" was the name and they were "first early" spuds. No sign of them yet and I am beginning to suspect Mr. Sharpp was having a laugh when he named his spuds "express".
    Come to think of it I asked the guy selling them for "idiot proof" spuds, maybe this is his idea of a joke!!

Default Re: Spuds this year

Nah, you should be lifting them from around mid-July - at least that is always my planting aim, down by St Patricks and new spuds lifted MacDara's day - July 16th.

Make sure you keep them earthed up and weeded after the haulms - leaves - start to show