Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Gadgets and Gizmos thread.

Default Re: The Gadgets and Gizmos thread.

A member of the von Biffo clan is thinking of getting a desktop PC to augment the laptops and, if I understand him correctly, to be a sort of server for their pics and stuff.

He lives in the back of beyond so broadband is via an o2 hotshot modem. He's wondering if desktops come with wifi as standard or if he has to get a dongle to be able to connect.

Any tech-savvy PW members out there able to shed light on the subject?

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    A member of the von Biffo clan is thinking of getting a desktop PC to augment the laptops and, if I understand him correctly, to be a sort of server for their pics and stuff.

He lives in the back of beyond so broadband is via an o2 hotshot modem. He's wondering if desktops come with wifi as standard or if he has to get a dongle to be able to connect.

Any tech-savvy PW members out there able to shed light on the subject?
    Is he building his own computer or getting a pre-made unit?
    Looks like he'll have to get a computer with a wi-fi card, Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-UD5H Wi-Fi Motherboard
    In case this all goes pear-shaped, I'll bid you adieu

Quote Originally Posted by musashi View Post
    Is he building his own computer or getting a pre-made unit?
    Looks like he'll have to get a computer with a wi-fi card, Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-UD5H Wi-Fi Motherboard
    Definitely buying and with the hope that everything will connect and work with minimum of rooting under the bonnet.

Definitely buying and with the hope that everything will connect and work with minimum of rooting under the bonnet.
    You could try this: HP Pavilion p6-2160ea. It's cheap, 1TB storage and has wi-fi.

You could try this: HP Pavilion p6-2160ea. It's cheap, 1TB storage and has wi-fi.
    Thanks Musashi, I'll pass that on. Is it the case that some PCs will come with wifi as standard and others wont so they'll need to specify that it's a requirement when buying?

Thanks Musashi, I'll pass that on. Is it the case that some PCs will come with wifi as standard and others wont so they'll need to specify that it's a requirement when buying?
    Absolutely.
    It might be an idea to do a checklist (budget, specs); 'tis never a good idea to impulse buy a computer.

Absolutely.
    It might be an idea to do a checklist (budget, specs); 'tis never a good idea to impulse buy a computer.
    If you met the man you'd know that impulse buying wont be a problem. This time next year, after visiting every PC seller in the country, he may have it narrowed down to a long list

Thanks again for the advice.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

http://www.arcadecon.ie/

Im going to this this weekend! Its a show about retro gaming, going to be Commodores, Spectrums and the works! Gadget fans paradise!
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Jesus H. iPad on a Segway!!!

Double Robotics gives your iPad wheels, brings telepresence to the masses

Walking iPads aside, usable telepresence remains one of geekdom's purest goals. Being able to attend meetings, without the minor irritation of actually being there, has been a motivator for professionals and hobbyists alike. Double Robotics, on the other hand, feel that they've spotted an opportunity. By leveraging the computing power of the iPad, coupled with some smart design, it has created the "Double," a self-balancing motorized iPad stand. You'll need a pair of Apple slates to get going, one to peer into and use as a controller (via an app), another to project your face, and act as the seeing eye (via the front-facing camera). Best of all, this is much more affordable than many existing options, rolling in at $1,999 if you pre-order ($2,499 otherwise), shipping in December -- iPads not included. Facetime on wheels? Why didn't we think of that?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFMu3llAnaM"]Double by Double Robotics - Pre-order Now - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 15-08-2012 at 03:11 PM.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Default Maidir Le: The Gadgets and Gizmos thread.

I was having a chat recently with a pal, and we both agreed that the high point of our efficiency, courtesy of new technology,was back in the old days of the PDA.

I was never so organised. There was a little docking module for the gadget, which had every useful function other than being a phone. One simply synchronised to the office PC, and then to the home PC and anything added in between while on the move appeared on both. Fab. I even read e-books, though they did not have the e-ink technology then.

Now I have an iPhone, and a Kindle and a laptop and so forth. I do not have anything like the functionality of this earlier technology. OK, I have apps to tell me where I am ( I usually know this) but I yearn for my old PDA.

I wonder if there is any setup that comes close to a PDA + phone + Kindle?

Get EssentialPIM, a personal information manager and organiser. Available for Windows, Android and iOS, syncs your phone with your laptop and vice versa. The PC version is free, dunno about iOS.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Anyone know if these are any good. Specifically if they would be any good for someone who who wants to take the odd pic/short video clip and post to YouTube? Reading ebooks would be seen as a positive.

Handling wouldn't be obsessively gentle - thrown in a handbag a lot of the time.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/storage-...blet-84K1.html

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Anyone know if these are any good. Specifically if they would be any good for someone who who wants to take the odd pic/short video clip and post to YouTube? Reading ebooks would be seen as a positive.

Handling wouldn't be obsessively gentle - thrown in a handbag a lot of the time.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/storage-...blet-84K1.html
    Got the other half one last year

They are decent enough but the memory on them is not great and there is no CD Drive (who still uses one these days I do but Im a tad old school!). Would be better off with a phone Baron i reckon like a Samsung Galaxy where you could watch films , listen to music etc and the cameras on them are good. Sony Experia has a good reputation too.That is just me tho'!
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Here's Walter Mossberg's spring review of laptops.

Guide to Buying a Laptop

It should be an easy time for laptop buyers, but the market is still pretty confusing and frustrating. Walt Mossberg offers his guide to buying a new laptop.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

I use www.scan.co.uk to buy tech. Very cheap - easy to understand bundles and great service. Their Today Only offers are excellent and they will build a pc for you. Do it yourself for about €100 cheaper and you can buy insurance that covers you if you screw up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12