Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Gadgets and Gizmos thread.

Default The Gadgets and Gizmos thread.

This is intended as a thread to discuss and drool over new gadgets and gizmos. What better product to have in the first post than the Raspberry Pi.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/innov...6014-skillsfeb

http://www.techcentral.ie/18432/rasp...ale-in-a-month

Intended as a cheap means of getting kids into the nuts-and-bolts of computing this is something that has huge appeal for anyone who can remember the ZX81, the Spectrum and other early home computers.

I've even registered with RS to buy one when they're back on the market.

Keeping the mind alive to stave off the onset of old-timers disease while having loads of fun - What's not to like.

Default Re: The Gadgets and Gizmos thread.

wow..looks awesome ..and is cheap!

It looks like the Raspberry Pi could be some time in coming so Schloss Biffo has acquired an Arduino to fill up the waiting time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2CCO-cGCTs"]The Arduino - YouTube[/ame]

At last I got to order the Raspberry Pi.

Delivery time 9 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    At last I got to order the Raspberry Pi.

Delivery time 9 weeks
    I don't really get why you want this. You can connect it to many modern peripherals but so what, what are you going to do with it?
    In case this all goes pear-shaped, I'll bid you adieu

Quote Originally Posted by musashi View Post
    I don't really get why you want this. You can connect it to many modern peripherals but so what, what are you going to do with it?
    Play.

I had a Sinclair Spectrum back around 1980 and the Pi strikes me as the 21st century equivalent. It must be said that it's much cheaper - If memory serves, the Spectrum was £200 back then.

Keeping the mind active is important in retirement when the stimulation of work is gone. Something like this, which has a buzz about it and will have lots of clever people making it do all sorts of tricks might slow my descent into decrepitude. Obviously it wont be as effective as interacting with the clever people on PW but everyone needs a slow lane.

Play.

I had a Sinclair Spectrum back around 1980 and the Pi strikes me as the 21st century equivalent. It must be said that it's much cheaper - If memory serves, the Spectrum was £200 back then.

Keeping the mind active is important in retirement when the stimulation of work is gone. Something like this, which has a buzz about it and will have lots of clever people making it do all sorts of tricks might slow my descent into decrepitude. Obviously it wont be as effective as interacting with the clever people on PW but everyone needs a slow lane.

In case this all goes pear-shaped, I'll bid you adieu

Play.

ZX81 came out before the 48K Speccie with the later making it's appearance in 1982 I think

Hell of a lot cheaper than the Commodore 64 tho - have to take a Mortgage for the price of one of those ... showed tho with the Spectrum, pared down to the basics in assembly

Savage fun tho

Never mind the Pi ... I recommend digging out the retro and getting down with the Speccie or the C64 ... not the 2010s emulator instant type ... more the cassette player wait 20 mins for a game to load version

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    ZX81 came out before the 48K Speccie with the later making it's appearance in 1982 I think

Hell of a lot cheaper than the Commodore 64 tho - have to take a Mortgage for the price of one of those ... showed tho with the Spectrum, pared down to the basics in assembly

Savage fun tho

Never mind the Pi ... I recommend digging out the retro and getting down with the Speccie or the C64 ... not the 2010s emulator instant type ... more the cassette player wait 20 mins for a game to load version
    My Spectrum is still in the attic somewhere. Long since dead though.

Have a 2nd issue 48K here (1982) and a C64 as well - very much alive .. best part is you can get a lot of games online these days as .wav files, transfer to tape cassette, load like the old days and bobs yer uncle

(Or just take the lazy option) http://www.classiconlinegames.nl/commodore-64

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

There is I am sure a lot of hobbyists out there who may be interested in that. Stick it on EBay Baron if you want a couple of quid or read up on it and try and build it back up! The programming language used on them was BASIC which I tried to get my head around when I was about twelve but failed to but still it was incredibly good fun! A lot of programmers out there now and people who are into programming started out on C64 and Spectrum. Nice hobby to have mate !
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    There is I am sure a lot of hobbyists out there who may be interested in that. Stick it on EBay Baron if you want a couple of quid or read up on it and try and build it back up! The programming language used on them was BASIC which I tried to get my head around when I was about twelve but failed to but still it was incredibly good fun! A lot of programmers out there now and people who are into programming started out on C64 and Spectrum. Nice hobby to have mate !
    Sell it! You must be joking. I'm a bit of a hoarder and my home is known as 'The black hole' to one of my family. She says nothing ever escapes
    Last edited by Baron von Biffo; 21-06-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Typo.

Sell it! You must be joking. I'm a bit of a hoarder and my home is known as 'he black hole' to one of my family. She says nothing ever escapes

How long have you had Shergar !
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    How long have you had Shergar !
    He was never actually on the premises. Went straight to the burger factory

He was never actually on the premises. Went straight to the burger factory
    That would explain his long face

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast