Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Double Barreled Surnames

Default Re: Maidir Le: Re: Double Barreled Surnames

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    Great list Hapax. Love it
    Really?
    You actually heard of John Philpot Curran, not to mention John Hely-Hutchinson?

Default Maidir Le: Double Barreled Surnames

Yes, and Mark Hely-Hutchinson too. But not the Joyce brothers. Had to look them up

Default Re: Maidir Le: Double Barreled Surnames

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    Yes, and Mark Hely-Hutchinson too. But not the Joyce brothers. Had to look them up
    I think theirs is a particularly interesting example. The both took matronyms, but from different generations, one (Weston) a Protestant line of the family, another (Dwyer) a Catholic.

Default Re: Double Barreled Surnames

I have a cousin up the mountain who is known as 'Mickey's Paddy's Mickey's Mickey'. I josh not, somehow it's not as bad when it's first names.
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hapax View Post

Just a few to be going on with:

John Philpot Curran
    John Hely-Hutchinson
    Francis Sheehy-Skeffington
    Charles Stewart Parnell
    Patrick Weston Joyce
    Robert Dwyer Joyce
    Charles Gavan Duffy
    William Smith O'Brien
    Constance Gore-Booth (Countess Markievicz)
    Thomas D'Arcy McGee
    Charles Villiers Stanford
    William Butler Yeats
    That's an interesting one. Francis Sheehy Skeffington was a committed feminist (also ironically a pacifist who was killed during the 1916 Rising by a policeman) and took his wife's surname at marriage. She took his in return. I don't think he was doing it out of fashion or pretensions.
    Last edited by Fraxinus; 01-11-2015 at 01:39 AM.

Francis Sheehy Skeffington was summarily executed by a firing squad under the command of Captain J. C. Bowen-Colthurst, Royal Irish Rifles.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    Francis Sheehy Skeffington was summarily executed by a firing squad under the command of Captain J. C. Bowen-Colthurst, Royal Irish Rifles.
    Ah, ok. Wasn't the execution by the above captain supposed to be an unauthorised act. Apparently Sheehy Skeffington had actually been trying to prevent looting in the aftermath of the Rising when he was picked up, I had presumed it was police. Talk about wrong place, wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    Ah, ok. Wasn't the execution by the above captain supposed to be an unauthorised act.
    Very much so.

Bowen-Colthurst was tried and found guilty be a military court but immediate intervention was made on his behalf and he was declared to be insane. Imprisoned in Broadmoor Criminal Mental Asylum, he was released in 1922 and settled in Canada where he died as late as 1966, the 50th anniversary of the Rising. Whether he was truly mad or just bad will always be debatable.
    Link
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12