Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Barreled Surnames

Default Double Barreled Surnames

Am I the only person who finds this carry on pretentious? The "celtic tiger" culture springs to mind whenever I hear one.

Personally, and maybe this is because my family is a small one, I think that passing on the family name is a great, and important, tradition.

I think double barreled names are daft, what happens if two people with double barreled names marry? Will their kids names be paragraphs long?

It's maintained the double-barreling keeps both families names alive, but it doesn't, names will have to be dropped.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Default Re: Double Barreled Surnames

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Am I the only person who finds this carry on pretentious? The "celtic tiger" culture springs to mind whenever I hear one.

Personally, and maybe this is because my family is a small one, I think that passing on the family name is a great, and important, tradition.

I think double barreled names are daft, what happens if two people with double barreled names marry? Will their kids names be paragraphs long?

It's maintained the double-barreling keeps both families names alive, but it doesn't, names will have to be dropped.
    +1

Some women I work with did it to keep their maiden name from dying out as they came from a family that was predominantly womena. Certainly the connotations it carry are elitest especially when a lot of them are preceeded by Sir such and such! Its very pretentious!
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

It is somewhat noticeable and amusing that the fad for double-barrelling names seemed to rise with the electronic gates years. I have a suspicion that much of it is driven by the subconscious desire to emulate what is seen as 'classy' and vaguely familar from the social strata on the island next door

If the people concerned were at all sensitive to culture and the potential loss of family names they would have gaelicised them.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

what happens if two people with double barreled names marry? Will their kids names be paragraphs long?
    Oh good, I'm not the only one who's wondered about that.

Add in the vogue for double forenames as well and you get a right mess:-

Do you Mary Elizabeth Black-Whyte take this John Paul Greene-Browne to be your etc.

Double sirnames in Ireland are a joke.
    In reality, with the Celtic Tiger and the then belief that Ireland and the Irish were superior, the use of traditional Irish names became the fashion of the nouveau riche. There are far more Cians, Fináns, Aoibheanns, and Siomhas now than the ordinary names which were good enough for our parents and grandparents.

The Spanish tradition seems to maintain generations worth of surnames, but usually only one is in common usage (the father's, I think) while the others are on the birth cert/records. Good way of keeping family records without actually getting ridiculous.

Plenty of people here will put a surname on a birth cert without using it on a daily basis too. Having said that, the double barrelling can get a bit ridculous, true.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    In reality, with the Celtic Tiger and the then belief that Ireland and the Irish were superior, the use of traditional Irish names became the fashion of the nouveau riche. There are far more Cians, Fináns, Aoibheanns, and Siomhas now than the ordinary names which were good enough for our parents and grandparents.
    Ross O Carroll Kelly lampooned them in his books very well, the Sydney Parade types
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post

Just a few to be going on with:

John Philpot Curran
    John Hely-Hutchinson
    Francis Sheehy-Skeffington
    Charles Stewart Parnell
    Patrick Weston Joyce
    Robert Dwyer Joyce
    Charles Gavan Duffy
    William Smith O'Brien
    Constance Gore-Booth (Countess Markievicz)
    Thomas D'Arcy McGee
    Charles Villiers Stanford
    William Butler Yeats

Beverley Cooper-Flynn. What was the caper there. Was she afraid that the names 'Cooper' or 'Flynn' would disappear if she didn't highlight both of them? Very public spirited of her I am sure.

Con O'Suibhilleabhan-MacGiollachada-Miurecheartaigh
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Default Maidir Le: Re: Double Barreled Surnames

Quote Originally Posted by Hapax View Post

Just a few to be going on with:

John Philpot Curran
    John Hely-Hutchinson
    Francis Sheehy-Skeffington
    Charles Stewart Parnell
    Patrick Weston Joyce
    Robert Dwyer Joyce
    Charles Gavan Duffy
    William Smith O'Brien
    Constance Gore-Booth (Countess Markievicz)
    Thomas D'Arcy McGee
    Charles Villiers Stanford
    William Butler Yeats
    Great list Hapax. Love it

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    Beverley Cooper-Flynn. What was the caper there. Was she afraid that the names 'Cooper' or 'Flynn' would disappear if she didn't highlight both of them? Very public spirited of her I am sure.

Con O'Suibhilleabhan-MacGiollachada-Miurecheartaigh
    Purely alphabetical "C" came b efore "F" on ballot paper

Some wills and family assignments have prov ided that the beneficiary take the testators or grantors name along with their own.

Otherwise it is adopted just to keep a particular name alive.

Double barelled names there long before the Celtic Tiger
    Last edited by homer; 12-03-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Thats some ego on the willmaker ... I'll leave you some money but you have to change your name... I shouldn't have thought that was a very common occurrence.

Cpt Con

The name clause was more usual with a bequest or grant of land - keeping the name alive.

In Irish it was called "mortais cine" Have to check the spelling of that as I havent the dictionary to hand but loosely translated it means "pride of the tribe!

I think double-barreled can be daft and unintentionally funny.

Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast