Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: The Michael D Higgins Presidency

Default Re: The Michael D Higgins Presidency

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    Michael D is in China this week along with Michael Noonan and Charlie Flanagan. First State visit since McAleese in 2003.
    The Sunday Business Post quotes unnamed senior civil servants as fearing Michael will upset the apple tart by complaining about China's civil rights.

Is this sedition ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    The Sunday Business Post quotes unnamed senior civil servants as fearing Michael will upset the apple tart by complaining about China's civil rights.

Is this sedition ?
    Hah! So does the IMOS. Looks like he's been given a not so subtle warning.

Boucher Hayes currently doing a job on Michael D and the "stark contrast between President on human rights when at home and when in China".

I don't know if Ireland is a position to lecture anyone on that score tbh but we could also say there is stark contrast between coverage of what Higgins says at home and what he doesn't say in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    Boucher Hayes currently doing a job on Michael D and the "stark contrast between President on human rights when at home and when in China".

I don't know if Ireland is a position to lecture anyone on that score tbh but we could also say there is stark contrast between coverage of what Higgins says at home and what he doesn't say in China.
    I was waiting for Boucher Hayes to mention today's torture report from the US Senate (or rendition, or killings of black men, or the Hooded Men), but it just didn't happen. So State visits between Ireland, the US, and the UK can continue without Higgins having to worry about getting his Human Rights pitch right.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Be fair to Higgins. He is severely constrained by the government, especially when he is abroad.

I think he has done his best within the constraints of his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardbouvet View Post
    Be fair to Higgins. He is severely constrained by the government, especially when he is abroad.

I think he has done his best within the constraints of his job.
    He's been pretty good, IMO.
    "The floggings will continue until morale improves "

Oops...

In the Irish Independent and Independent online, of Wednesday 10th December, it was stated that “President Higgins avoids human rights issues in China”.
    The Irish Independent accepts that this is entirely incorrect and we can confirm that President Higgins did raise and discuss human rights issues with President XI Jinping at a meeting in Beijing yesterday and that he confirmed this fact to Irish media, including the Irish Independent after the meeting.
    We unreservedly apologise for this error
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news...-30816296.html

Bizarre discussion on SOR this morning featuring the Abbot of Glenstal versus Oliver Callan re the 'bullying' of Michael D. by the latter. The bould Abbot wrote a piece in the Sindo yesterday fulminating against the traducing of our President.
    I don't think Michael D will thank his buddy for going off on a defensive solo run somehow. Particularly with the references to Kevinl McCarthy.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-sean-o-rourke/
    Last edited by PaddyJoe; 12-01-2015 at 06:15 PM.

Bizarre discussion on SOR this morning featuring the Abbot of Glenstal versus Oliver Callan re the 'bullying' of Michael D. by the latter. The bould Abbot wrote a piece in the Sindo yesterday fulminating against the traducing of our President.
    I don't think Michael D will thank his buddy for going off on a defensive solo run somehow. Particularly with the references to Kevinl McCarthy.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-sean-o-rourke/
    One of the saddest things I've heard for years.

— Jean-Paul Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    One of the saddest things I've heard for years.

Callan and SOR remarkably restrained given the idiocy being spouted by the prelate. I think the chill in the studio was due to the hint of a potentially very serious defamation hovering over the conversation.

Callan and SOR remarkably restrained given the idiocy being spouted by the prelate. I think the chill in the studio was due to the hint of a potentially very serious defamation hovering over the conversation.
    Yes, I was surprised the prelate was not bustled off with a bag over his head. He had no notion what is not meant to be said outside of "correspondence"

Weird radio. Solicitors still all on holiday ?
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

Man and woman overboard.

The President's key communications adviser, Sarah Martin, is stepping down to "pursue some exciting opportunities".The other resignation comes from Wally Young, the well-known former army commandant best known as a crisis manager for various religious orders during the fallout of various abuse scandals.

Last night, sources close to Mr Young and Ms Martin insisted their departures were "purely personal decisions".

In a statement issued to the Irish Independent, áras an Uachtaráin confirmed the double departure of two key members of President Higgins's team. Given the intention of the two key advisers to leave their role, President Higgins is currently recruiting a new "head of communications and information" as part of a "general restructuring of the Office of the President", the áras said in a statement.

"Sarah Martin and Wally Young will continue with the existing arrangements until the autumn to facilitate a smooth transition to the new structure," the statement added.

Commenting on his decision to depart, Mr Young said: "As part of a plan to reduce my overall work commitments, I will complete an 11-year term as media adviser to the President next November."

He added: "It has been a great honour and privilege to work for both President Higgins and President McAleese and to have so thoroughly enjoyed the experience of working as part of the team at Áras an Uachtaráin."
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-31291443.html

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910