Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 96

Thread: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

  1. #31

    Default Re: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

    Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    Greyhound go to court to halt a protest by their workers:


    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/g...ypAzzQ.twitter
    I saw one of the Greyhound managers on the RTE news, he was assuring customers that there would be no disruption to their waste collection. Interesting claim considering that they have have failed to make collections, as required by the bye-laws, in several areas of Dublin for the last couple of months. The Sunday Times reported that Greyhound has been fined for this failure.

    Does that mean I can expect my bins to be collected next week on the correct day and within the time limits set out in the bye-laws? If it does it will be twice in the last 3 months.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,980

    Default Re: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoughisenough View Post
    I saw one of the Greyhound managers on the RTE news, he was assuring customers that there would be no disruption to their waste collection. Interesting claim considering that they have have failed to make collections, as required by the bye-laws, in several areas of Dublin for the last couple of months. The Sunday Times reported that Greyhound has been fined for this failure.

    Does that mean I can expect my bins to be collected next week on the correct day and within the time limits set out in the bye-laws? If it does it will be twice in the last 3 months.
    Do they charge for not collecting ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  3. #33

    Default Re: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Do they charge for not collecting ?
    The areas where they routinely fail to collect are bag/label areas, so the answer is yes and no, if they eventually collect and the bag/label remains intact there is no charge, however, the bags are often destroyed by cats and foxes so a new label is required for the new bag in which case the answer is yes.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,980

    Default Re: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoughisenough View Post
    The areas where they routinely fail to collect are bag/label areas, so the answer is yes and no, if they eventually collect and the bag/label remains intact there is no charge, however, the bags are often destroyed by cats and foxes so a new label is required for the new bag in which case the answer is yes.
    Is there anywhere around using them ?
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22,431

    Default Re: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

    Good stuff from Clare Daly re. Greyhound at Leaders Questions today. It seems that the company is bringing in untrained casual labour at night to disrupt the industrial action and there has been at least two accidents involving untrained drivers in the last few days.
    She got Kenny to agree to bringing in the Employment Rights Authority to investigate.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Meath
    Posts
    8,580

    Default Re: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

    This company should be forced into liquidation with an environmental and waste services nationalisation bill to renationalise waste services. This sector is too important to public health and I am sure from what European Law I studied that even under the current pitiful set up you can take extraordinary steps to regulate/nationalize markets in the interest of public health. The waste industry in the north is still fully public isnt it?

    A welcome side effect would be the death of cowboy company's such as greyhound. If these were public service workers they would still have protections against this stuff. In fact many of them probably used to have those rights as council workers!

  7. #37

    Default Re: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

    Quote Originally Posted by Apjp View Post
    This company should be forced into liquidation with an environmental and waste services nationalisation bill to renationalise waste services. This sector is too important to public health and I am sure from what European Law I studied that even under the current pitiful set up you can take extraordinary steps to regulate/nationalize markets in the interest of public health. The waste industry in the north is still fully public isnt it?

    A welcome side effect would be the death of cowboy company's such as greyhound. If these were public service workers they would still have protections against this stuff. In fact many of them probably used to have those rights as council workers!
    There was no transfer of council staff to Greyhound from DCC, the waste collection was, in the immortal words of John Tierney, "disposed", TUPE did not figure in it. While Tierney refused to reveal the details of the "disposal" in terms of whether or not money changed hands and if so in what direction, I have an email from Greyhound which claims that the DCC waste collection was purchased by Greyhound however, the actual sums involved were not forthcoming.

  8. #38

    Default Re: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Is there anywhere around using them ?
    Not sure what you mean - if you are asking where the bag areas are, parts of Dublin 1, 2, 6, 6w and 8 certainly have them not sure where else.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    22,431

    Default Re: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

    Another Greyhound 'accident' today. I wonder have Gardai investigated the previous incident referred to by Clare Daly in the Dail last week?

    A SIPTU SHOP steward was knocked down by a van while he was picketing outside a Greyhound recycling plant today.Earlier this evening a van exited the recycling plant in Clondalkin, Dublin, and hit the man. He was taken to Tallaght Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
    The union has pickets at two Greyhound plant in Dublin as part of an ongoing dispute over wage cuts
    http://www.thejournal.ie/greyhound-p...e=twitter_self

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,980

    Default Re: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

    Quote Originally Posted by Enoughisenough View Post
    There was no transfer of council staff to Greyhound from DCC, the waste collection was, in the immortal words of John Tierney, "disposed", TUPE did not figure in it. While Tierney refused to reveal the details of the "disposal" in terms of whether or not money changed hands and if so in what direction, I have an email from Greyhound which claims that the DCC waste collection was purchased by Greyhound however, the actual sums involved were not forthcoming.
    There seems to be a serious problem with DCC and to a lesser extent other Councils claiming 'business confidentiality' as a grounds for completely untransparent dealing. I see no reason why after a tender process is completed, all details should not be released - it could be part of the terms of tender.

    If need be, change the legislation.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,980

    Default Re: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

    Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    Another Greyhound 'accident' today. I wonder have Gardai investigated the previous incident referred to by Clare Daly in the Dail last week?


    http://www.thejournal.ie/greyhound-p...e=twitter_self

    A garda matter most definitely. 35% wage cut is being applied RTE said. If they can't afford to pay a reasonable living wage, they are not viable.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in the national interest
    Posts
    17,684

    Default Re: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

    People being run over on strike

    Greyhound says workers are deliberately jumping in front of vans

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,980

    Default Re: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

    There was a march today, to Dublin City Council, with families, workers and supporters. This is a lockout. It this employer gets away with a 35% unilateral wage cut, so can any other. They deserve/need support.

    Can people refuse to pay for the service when it is run by scabs ?

    SIPTU seems to have done some kind of a deal to cut Greyhound's costs. Why ? It isn't their job to make a company more profitable by cutting wages and services.
    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rockall
    Posts
    78,980

    Default Re: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

    “ We cannot withdraw our cards from the game. Were we as silent and mute as stones, our very passivity would be an act. ”
    — Jean-Paul Sartre

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: Greyhound: "The cowboys of the waste industry"

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post

    SIPTU seems to have done some kind of a deal to cut Greyhound's costs. Why ? It isn't their job to make a company more profitable by cutting wages and services.
    No but it is any officials main job to keep people in jobs where possible. I dont know the history of it but there are researchers and forensic accountants employed by all unions and if a company are really in trouble they generally cant wait to through their books on the table to prove it.

    There was a motion passed tonight at the City council meeting this is the jist of it

    The objective of this would be to allow city councillors to form an opinion on the suitability of the service as it is currently structured. It also seeks to address the immediate problems which may result in the non-collection of waste around the city. We are asking the Chief Executive to immediately enter into discussions with the trade unions to try and agree an arrangement whereby the domestic waste collection service is brought back under the direct labour of the local authorities.
    I lifted that out of The Journal article and I seen Brid Smith tweet that it was passed. There was also an addendum calling on Greyhound to stop using agency workers to replace those on strike and to open the dumps free to any Greyhound customers who don't want scabs picking up their waste.

    I was at the protest myself and I though it was a good turn out at it, probably the best thing of the lot was that pretty much every left grouping had a presence and have been lending their support. The support from the other trade unions has been excellent too, hopefully the starting point for something good on the left.

    Just to add on another note, there was a call today at the protest for people not to remove their business from Greyhound in support of the workers, as to do so could leave them no jobs to go back into when this is resolved. I didn't catch it all either, but I heard on the news the LRC have said they should all go back to the table but never referenced the 35% cut in what they said.
    Last edited by Rpurfield; 07-07-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us