Thread: Fresh calls for justice for Breaker Morant

Default Fresh calls for justice for Breaker Morant

LAWYERS behind the case of Harry "Breaker" Morant, the Australian executed during the Boer War, are calling for the attorney-general to highlight concerns about his execution to the British government, on the 110th anniversary of his death. Morant and co-accused Peter Handcock were executed by a British firing squad on February 27, 1902 after they admitted to killing Boer prisoners under orders to take no prisoners during the war.

A third Australia, Lieutenant George Witton was also sentenced to death, but had his sentence downgraded to life in prison.

Lawyer Jim Unkles, who has campaigned for three years to overturn the convictions in order to obtain posthumous pardons for the Australians, said the men were following superior orders, which was a legitimate defence in 1902. Mr Unkles said in a statement.
    "Those who issued the orders should have faced the firing squad, not Morant and Handcock,"
    Source

Breaker Morant

The facts of the trial are very disturbing - but I wouldn't hold with murdering prisoners even if it was under orders from a superior officer.
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Default Re: Fresh calls for justice for Breaker Morant

This case is complex and does not solely rest on superior orders. I have researched this case for 3 years against entrenched interests devoted to protect british reputations and military commander, lord kitchener. I have prouduced compelling that these men were not tried and sentenced according to laws of 1902. Its time for the british government to appoint a judicial inquiry to settle the matter after 110 years of controversy.

I am happy to answer questions

Quote Originally Posted by unkles View Post
    I am happy to answer questions
    What did you think of the movie or Kenneth Ross's play on which it is based?

Justin, the movie and play are very entertaining and have marketed the case for pardons, but I assure you the case for review and pardons should not be confused, with the case that I have mounted based on proveable fact, evidence and compelling arguments for pardons. My web site, breakermorant.com has all the details, a blog, forum, on line petition and access to twitter. Have a look and happy to answer questions, thanks