Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Che Guevara monument for Galway?

Default Re: Che Guevara monument for Galway?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Bar View Post
    It only became an issue cos of Ganley.
    Who the fook else but an attention seeker would bother?
    Jim Fitzpatrick spoke very well in favour of the sculpture on the Joe Duffy show today.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 16-12-2012 at 11:10 PM.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Kev Bar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    Jim Fitzpatrick spoke very well in favour of the sculpture on the Joe Duffy show today.
    Yeah. I caught a bit of it.

If Dr Guevara had only worked in the Virgin Mary Memorial Hospital in Havana, helping the poor with their unfortunate diseases, Cuba today could be a modern democracy like Costa Rico or Haiti and Dr Guevara would have lots of work with venereal diseases outside the expanded US military base at Guantanamo.

"I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."
    - Robert Frost

We are all the richer for his choice.

Wonder if anybody has asked Aleida about the Galway monument?
    While she doesn't mind the posters, the flags, the postcards, graffiti paintings and T-shirts, Dr Guevara and her family are trying to clamp down on "disrespectful" uses of her father's famous photo, taken by Alberto Korda in 1960. Not easy when it is the most reproduced image in the world.
    She's fairly clear about the morality of killing people in war:
    Guevara showed no qualms about killing. "It was a revolution," says his daughter. "Of course, I would rather there was no bloodshed but that is the nature of revolution. In a true revolution you have to get what you want by force. An enemy who doesn't want to give you what you want? Maybe you have to take it. My father knew the risk he took with his own life.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...aughter-aleida

The US Environmental Protection Agency today sent out a mail for 'Hispanic Heritage Month' featuring a graphic of Che Guevara. Ganley buddy and South Florida Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen is hopping mad
    Ileana Ros-Lehtinen ‏@RosLehtinen
    Estoy muy decepcionada q una agencia fed enviara un correo elec con la imagen del Che, es insultante
    "I'm very disappointed that a Federal Agency could send an e-mail with a picture of Che, it is insulting"
    Looks like an innocent enough graphic

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    The US Environmental Protection Agency today sent out a mail for 'Hispanic Heritage Month' featuring a graphic of Che Guevara. Ganley buddy and South Florida Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen is hopping mad

"I'm very disappointed that a Federal Agency could send an e-mail with a picture of Che, it is insulting"
    Looks like an innocent enough graphic
    Hasta la victoria siempre !

Aleida Guevara (daughter) set to support Galway at Croke Park on Sunday

I imagine there'll be a few good riddances around Galway.........

“One of the most influential Cuban Americans in Congress announced that she will retire next year,rather than seek reelection in an evolving South Florida district that once helped launch prominent Florida Republicans but is now moving toward Democrats,”Paul Kane reports: “Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen … will end a 30-year run on Capitol Hill next year as one of her party’s leading moderate voices on social issues. She will leave behind a district that [Trump] lost by 20 percentage points, the most Democratic-leaning district held by a Republican based on last year’s presidential contest. Part of her party’s wing that opposed Trump’s candidacy … Ros-Lehtinen told the Miami Herald that she was not retiring because of her differences with Trump or her prospects of a difficult reelection bid. Instead, she said it was the right time after nearly four decades in local and federal office.” Still, Democrats pounced on the news, rejecting her denials that it had anything to do with Trump. DCCC spokeswoman Meredith Kelly called it the “first of many retirements,” saying many Republicans will not want to defend the “embarrassment of GOP DC” and will instead choose to retire.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

They'll love An Posts new stamp
    The United Irishman. Updated 5/2/14

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    They'll love An Posts new stamp
    Who are all these people Che Guevara is supposed to have 'murdered'? Apart from Batista's soldiers or Bolivian soldiers of course.

RTE were giving voice to some crazed Cuban American lobbyist the other morning claiming Che and Lenin were as bad as Stalin and Mao.

Must get some of the Che Guevara stamps for letters to my friends in the U.S.A.

The invasion begins! :-)

Read a lot of his writings in the 1960s.
    We are all insane animals existing for a time on an obviously unfinished planet.
    www.irelandtoo.com

Got these delivered yesterday... A nice little item. Might frame the stamp sheet.

Unprecedented demand has resulted in all the stamps selling out and more having to be printed.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1012/911...guevara-stamp/

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Got these delivered yesterday... A nice little item. Might frame the stamp sheet.

Dang! Hope you get your moneysworth. These days I only mail about 3 letters a year, at a total cost of $1.47.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Dang! Hope you get your moneysworth. These days I only mail about 3 letters a year, at a total cost of $1.47.
    Tut Tut no christmas cards? ��

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast