Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Che Guevara monument for Galway?

Default Che Guevara monument for Galway?

I imagine that there's a certain constituency that won't be particularly happy with this
    A major and innovative monument to the
    Irish-Argentinean revolutionary, guerilla, doctor, writer, and politician Ernesto ‘Che’ Guevara, has taken a step closer to becoming a reality this week.
    The Galway Advertiser understands that City Hall’s arts officer James Harrold will commission a scale model of the proposed monument to be made. This will then be presented to the Galway City Council’s Working Group on Public Arts for consideration, and later city manager Joe O’Neill for final approval. The approval of city councillors may also need to be sought.
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/49322

Default Re: Che Guevara monument for Galway?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    I imagine that there's a certain constituency that won't be particularly happy with this

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/49322
    Someone ain't happy about it, at all at all

https://twitter.com/#!/declanganley

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W79zSZHq5AQ"]Galway to Graceland (Eleanor Shanley) - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe a statue of Elvis Presley would not be quite so controversial considering this song and the 'Galway Advertiser' article 14th August 1997 about the possibility of yours truly winning a trip to Memphis on RTE1 Radio. "Galway to Tennessee".

We were announced the winners of the trip and headed for Graceland on the 15th.

Was reading all those books by Che Guevara way back in the mid 1960s. Red as hell I was. :-)
    We are all insane animals existing for a time on an obviously unfinished planet.
    www.irelandtoo.com

I don't think Elvis Presley had any Galway connection but Che Guevara certainly did. It is generally accepted that his grandmother, Anna Isabel Lynch, was born in Co. Galway.

Che's father said in a 1969 interview. "The first thing to note is that in my son's veins flowed the blood of the Irish rebels. Che inherited some of the features of our restless ancestors. There was something in his nature which drew him to distant wandering, dangerous adventures and new ideas".

It is entirely fitting that a statue of Guevara be errected in Galway.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Okay, Sam Lord, I'll make do with the Elvis Presley mural already on the gable end of a pub in Galway city.

I would like to see an artistic and imaginative Che Guevara memorial in Galway, another very good reason to visit that bustling city.

http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com
    Last edited by MauriceColgan; 27-02-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    We are all insane animals existing for a time on an obviously unfinished planet.
    www.irelandtoo.com

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBYUOOEHbJw&feature=results_main&playnext= 1&list=PLBD4BC9D4F149E328"]Che Guevara interview Ireland 1964 - YouTube[/ame]

Che in Ireland in 1964. Nice personality. And lovely eyes. Bedroom eyes me ma used to call those.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceColgan View Post

I would like to see an artistic and imaginative Che Guevara memorial in Galway, another very good reason to visit that bustling city.
    I'm very much looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

The world famous Guevara poster was done by Irish artist Jim Fitzpatrick.

http://www.jimfitzpatrick.ie/update/che.html

But Ireland was the weirdest: Every shop that stocked the poster was threatened or harassed: in the very fashionable Brown Thomas of Grafton Street, which sold cards and posters in those faraway days, a well-turned out lady bought the entire stock, tore them all to pieces in front of the astonished staff and walked out ! I remember the late Ms O'Flaherty and Ms King of Parsons Bookshop on Baggot Street bridge, who were great supporters of my art -as they were of every artist and writer in Dublin - getting really upset at the hostility directed towards the poster, which hung proudly in their front window. Despite threats to break their windows they refused to take it down and I was so proud every time I passed that little shop run by two most educated, kind and charming Dubliners who devoted their lives to the artists and writers of this city.

How about a motorway service station?

Decco is hopping mad so GCC ar finally doing something right
    Between this and a new liberty hall there could be a few aneurysms on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. FIVE View Post
    Decco is hopping mad so GCC ar finally doing something right
    Still tweeting about it

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    Still tweeting about it
    He is a bona fide moron, banging on about Che being a psychopath and the murderous Cuban regime. In fact, they have saved countless lives if anything. I was just looking at infant mortality rates, for example, and at No. 33 in the world Cuba is right at the top of South America and even better than his precious USA. The same with life expectancy .. they are right up there with European nations and streets ahead of good capitalist democracies like Brazil. Lots of lives saved.

Was he tweeting in outrage when the Chinese dude was being toured around Ireland recently? I doubt it. Is he up in arms when the USA invades somewhere? I doubt it. There is possibly money to be made in these places.

Dolbyscat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe View Post
    And why not?...No decent person could be happy about the raising of a monument to a murderer. I don't care about his motives or beliefs, but he alone was responsible for the death of many innocent people. That some people see it as a need for the greater good cannot excuse his bloody deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolbyscat View Post
    And why not?...No decent person could be happy about the raising of a monument to a murderer. I don't care about his motives or beliefs, but he alone was responsible for the death of many innocent people. That some people see it as a need for the greater good cannot excuse his bloody deeds.
    Who did he murder?

Dolbyscat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    Who did he murder?
    Should we first establish what we consider murder? Personally I would call the shooting of an un-armed civillian murder, regardless of the circumstances. I would also call the organising of firing squads murder, but on that count we could probably argue. For the record I would also argue that his "execution" was murder, but had I been in that situation I would have also pulled the trigger...and suffered no remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolbyscat View Post
    had I been in that situation I would have also pulled the trigger...and suffered no remorse.
    Not soil yourself like what most people do the first time they look into another human's eyes and then blow a gaping hole in their skull then?
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast