Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Economist Jim O'Leary leaves Dept of Finance after just 15 months

Default Re: Economist Jim O'Leary leaves Dept of Finance after just 15 months

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    Job offer from the Virgin Islands maybe? I hear there's a new outfit doing a much better job recovering Anglo assets.

Having been at Maynooth and clueless about the state of the economy while a fat cat AIB indicates he will be no loss.

A bit OT, the Broadsheet posted this editorial from the Independent re another vacancy at the DoF:

Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Default Maidir Le: Re: Maidir Le: Economist Jim O'Leary leaves Dept of Finance after just 15 months

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Did he say what his pay was, and what he will be earning in Sussex?

Irish salaries in quangoes have been grossly over-inflated.

No one would like a salary cut, but I doubt he was being paid less than the going European rate.
    With reference to Richard Tol am I the only one who doesn't want to know what his salary as a Research Professor was? I would have hoped it was enough to reward him for being a world class researcher and keep him here and I couldn't care less what he will earn in Sussex. These salaries are a matter of public record. I don't even like the term 'the going rate' as it seems to diminish the person and the profession. Public sector researchers did not destroy our economy and whether you agree with Tol on carbon taxes or not, we were lucky to have him.

I do care what the NAMA blokes are 'earning' for managing the properties we have bailed out from our diminishing incomes. I do care about bonuses for catastrophe in the banking sector. I care very much to have my reduced income and taxes/charges/levies being used for purposes that I despise.

Default Re: Maidir Le: Re: Maidir Le: Economist Jim O'Leary leaves Dept of Finance after just 15 months

Quote Originally Posted by Spectabilis View Post
    With reference to Richard Tol am I the only one who doesn't want to know what his salary as a Research Professor was? I would have hoped it was enough to reward him for being a world class researcher and keep him here and I couldn't care less what he will earn in Sussex. These salaries are a matter of public record. I don't even like the term 'the going rate' as it seems to diminish the person and the profession. Public sector researchers did not destroy our economy and whether you agree with Tol on carbon taxes or not, we were lucky to have him.

I do care what the NAMA blokes are 'earning' for managing the properties we have bailed out from our diminishing incomes. I do care about bonuses for catastrophe in the banking sector. I care very much to have my reduced income and taxes/charges/levies being used for purposes that I despise.
    I've just posted on the thread about Tol's departure not to take this thread more off topic than I already have, but I'll reply here to your post. I may be wrong, but I don't think that ESRI salaries are published. The ESRI is not a public body. It received funding from public and private sources to do research. It's Director sat on the Boards of Banks. Its staff are and were highly paid in the basis that they would provide top notch advice. The advice they gave, that there would be no "hard landing" to the property bubble, and that growth would continue, directly influenced the behaviour of the banks in which you are interested.

Tol is an environmental scientist (with some most peculiar views on climate change). I would be interested to know if he personally experienced pressures to conform to funders views at any stage.

I posted on the other thread about "the going rate" in which academics, as human beings, are highly interested.

Front page today saying that we needed to pay Cardiff's successor more. I can almost guarantee that this will come to pass, as they will want to make a big show of the importance of the post, how difficult it is to appoint, and bla di bla di bla...
    Quote Originally Posted by FIVE View Post
    talent costs Cass
    The cheapest isn't necessarily the best. I'd be happy to top up my pension by doing the job for half Howlin's cap but since I don't have the relevant skills and experience, the taxpayer would be getting poor value.

From time to time reality makes a surprise visit to the pages of the Indo and this might be one such case. Their agenda is obviously to have someone from the private sector brought in rather than an internal promotion but, despite acres of column space to the contrary, they know that people at that level in the private sector can earn substantially more than the €200k on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    The cheapest isn't necessarily the best. I'd be happy to top up my pension by doing the job for half Howlin's cap but since I don't have the relevant skills and experience, the taxpayer would be getting poor value.

From time to time reality makes a surprise visit to the pages of the Indo and this might be one such case. Their agenda is obviously to have someone from the private sector brought in rather than an internal promotion but, despite acres of column space to the contrary, they know that people at that level in the private sector can earn substantially more than the €200k on offer.
    The most expensive isn't necessarily the best.

Good recruitment should home in on people we can afford who have the qualities and qualifications to do the job, whether from inside or outside the Department.

It won't be difficult to find someone who could do better than the present and previous incumbents.

Can Christine not send one of her lads to do it. Or are we still pretending?

Default Re: Maidir Le: Economist Jim O'Leary leaves Dept of Finance after just 15 months

Did he say what his pay was, and what he will be earning in Sussex?

Irish salaries in quangoes have been grossly over-inflated.

No one would like a salary cut, but I doubt he was being paid less than the going European rate.
    To speak of the going European rate is meaningless unless you take into account all relevant factors. You have to look at the security of pay and pension, spending power of net income, availability of services, working conditions, social standing etc.

There's an easy remedy for that: tax income above 200k at 99%. Problem solved.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Default Re: Maidir Le: Re: Maidir Le: Economist Jim O'Leary leaves Dept of Finance after just 15 months

Tol is an environmental scientist (with some most peculiar views on climate change). I would be interested to know if he personally experienced pressures to conform to funders views at any stage.

Maybe his replacement will link the economy and environment a little more vigorously - may even get sustainable development taken seriously. I'm sure the funders would be best pleased!

ESRI is a total waste of space! It's departments are as disjointed as the civil service.
    Offer solutions
    my blog - Clearing Clutter – the ramblings of an environmental activist http://theresaleaf.wordpress.com/

The most expensive isn't necessarily the best.
    That's certainly true and the seven figure salaries for the likes of Fitzpatrick, Goggin and Sheehy clearly proves it.

Good recruitment should home in on people we can afford who have the qualities and qualifications to do the job, whether from inside or outside the Department.
    The problem is this, the people who have those qualities and qualifications can command salaries commensurate with that level of achievement. If you can't afford to pay them you simply wont get them.

It won't be difficult to find someone who could do better than the present and previous incumbents.
    On other threads I've pointed out that it was wrong to blame the civil servants for the decisions of Finance ministers and governments but even if we agreed that Lenihan et al were just innocent bystanders and all the wrongs were the fault of the secretaries general, it wouldn't mean that being better than them means being good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by FIVE View Post
    Can Christine not send one of her lads to do it. Or are we still pretending?
    Mme LeGrande is of the Joan Burton school in these matters - 'Lads' are not good enough. Testicles will disqualify.

Mme LeGrande is of the Joan Burton school in these matters - 'Lads' are not good enough. Testicles will disqualify.
    I don't follow?

Default Maidir Le: Economist Jim O'Leary leaves Dept of Finance after just 15 months

I posted on the other thread about "the going rate" in which academics, as human beings, are highly interested.
    Academics, as human beings, or whatever the alternative is, are perfectly well informed about salaries in countries where they might have an interest in working and with which they interact regularly as researchers. No great secrets.
    The only ones with preposterous salaries in Ireland are in the medical faculties and a few dowry professors in Technology areas. All a matter of public record.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast