Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irish Water Charges to Start at 250.00 - 400 euro per year for each Household

Default Irish Water Charges to Start at 250.00 - 400 euro per year for each Household

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...m_medium=email

The Irish Times is reporting that "sources" say water charges will be introduced, based on usage, by 2014, at rates of around €250.00 - 400.00 per household each year.

Installation of meters will be a large and expensive operation, but would be essential if water supplies are to be privatised and run for private profit, as usually required by the IMF.

This charge will be in addition to the property tax/household charge.

It was hoped to have meters installed in “the vast majority of houses” by the end of 2014. Contracts for metering would be issued “early in the new year”. Self-installation by residents was not under consideration.

Mr Hogan told The Irish Times : “The principle is agreed, that we’re going down this road, but we haven’t set out the detail of how we’re going to implement it – that will be done by the middle of February.”

He noted water charges by meter were included in the EU-International Monetary Fund bailout agreement, but his party had been “ahead of the posse” even when in opposition by undertaking to “bring it all together under one particular entity”.

The Minister added that it was “a bit like setting up the ESB all over again for an essential natural resource”. He added: “All residential properties will be metered by 2015 at the latest, and we’ll start the process . . . in autumn of 2012.”

The Minister said: “In 2012 we’ll start to roll out the contracts. The details of how we’re going to do that we’ll announce in January.” There would be some “site investigation work” in the next few months and issues relating to installation of the meters would be established.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 27-12-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Default Re: Irish Water Charges to Start at 250.00 - 400 euro per year for each Household

Do you think they will try to capitalise on rain water harvesting? Which is what I fully intend to have up and running in the near future

Default Re: Irish Water Charges to Start at 250.00 - 400 euro per year for each Household

Quote Originally Posted by smiles View Post
    Do you think they will try to capitalise on rain water harvesting? Which is what I fully intend to have up and running in the near future
    Hard luck: In Ireland, all rainwater harvesting tanks require planning permission and such permissions will simply no longer be granted. Their way of banning rainwater harvesting. Think you can cheat on your debt collector? Think again.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    Hard luck: In Ireland, all rainwater harvesting tanks require planning permission and such permissions will simply no longer be granted. Their way of banning rainwater harvesting. Think you can cheat on your debt collector? Think again.
    Is that not just for visible tanks? Will check it out anyhow and if so will be forced to use plan b

Is that not just for visible tanks?
    According to the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, all rainwater harvesting tanks require planning permission.

You don't need permission for rainwater harvesting, but they just won't grant anymore planning permissions for the tanks unless you have no other option.

Will check it out anyhow and if so will be forced to use plan b
    Plan B? Don't get caught!
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

If I remember correctly people in Bolivia were jailed for doing that during their water war with Bechtel in Cochabamba. I think it was for cheating the multinational or some such thing. Given that Ireland puts Bolivia to shame in the Banana Republic league table, I'm pretty sure they'll do the same thing here or something similar. This is all about eroding public services and 'rolling back the state', ie forcibly transferring state infrastructure to private hands for the profit of its new owners.
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа

'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

"Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

Some US states have already criminalised water harvesting.

Hard luck: In Ireland, all rainwater harvesting tanks require planning permission
    Are you sure that that's the case? The Dept of Agriculture suggests that it is but I get the impression that it's referring to systems for agricultural use - Why would Ag be concerned with water harvesting in D4?

This company provides domestic systems and claims that planning permission isn't required, though the wording isn't a model of clarity.

This business hints that, far from prohibiting harvesting systems, planning laws may yet mandate them to mitigate the effects of shortages and/or flooding.

Here is what I'm sure of, there will be an explicit ban of water harvesting issued very soon, probably in the guise of health and safety concerns. Mark my words...

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    This company provides domestic systems and claims that planning permission isn't required, though the wording isn't a model of clarity.
    On the contrary, they are very clear:

General building regulations have to be observed.

Here is what I'm sure of, there will be an explicit ban of water harvesting issued very soon, probably in the guise of health and safety concerns. Mark my words...
    I've just marked them .... 10% .... sorry.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Some US states have already criminalised water harvesting.
    Standard IMF practice where ever they roam

Quote Originally Posted by FIVE View Post
    Standard IMF practice where ever they roam
    A good wiki entry -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_privatization

The impact overall has been more expensive water, with on average no improvement in efficiency.

Any link?

There seem to be grants for farmers to do this

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmer...vestingscheme/

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Any link?
    There is a link for a document from the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine. Just google this:

Code:
    rainwater tanks planning permission ireland
    go to the sixth link from the top:

Download the document or use Quick View.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast