Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does North Korea have nuclear weapons?

Default Why does North Korea have nuclear weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by antiestablishmentarian View Post
    A fascinating series on the DailyNK website of a number of interviews with North Koreans who have moved to China. They come from all walks of life, and include even cadres loyal to the regime. Issues touched on include the black markets, drug consumption, the economic collapse caused by the currency redemonination in 2009, to insights about the flow of information into North Korea from the outside world.

http://www.dailynk.com/english/sub_l...cataId=nk03900
    Very interesting. Pressures of the cold war on North Korea, with the drive to produce nuclear weapons in response the US, was a problem - the same thing happened with the USSR.

More on the profound impacts of the famine here.

http://www.dailynk.com/english/read....02900&num=5238

jangmadang market

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn8IGvr6ma8"]Jamadang Market in North Korea I - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by C. Flower; 25-12-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Default Re: Voices from North Korea- what the people thought of Kim Jong-Il

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Very interesting. Pressures of the cold war on North Korea, with the drive to produce nuclear weapons in response the US, was a problem - the same thing happened with the USSR.
    Oh please... the cold war was long over when this madman Kim Jong Il came to power.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalMayhem View Post
    Oh please... the cold war was long over when this madman Kim Jong Il came to power.
    But technically, the Korean War is ongoing.
    North Koreans are fed a diet of nonsense about their wonderful weapons keeping the American bogeyman at bay.
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

Exclamation Re: Voices from North Korea- what the people thought of Kim Jong-Il

Quote Originally Posted by Griska View Post
    But technically, the Korean War is ongoing.
    North Koreans are fed a diet of nonsense about their wonderful weapons keeping the American bogeyman at bay.
    And the US was a threat to North Korea. In 1980, it seems that the US had at least 100 nuclear weapons aimed at Korea.

1969. North Korea shoots down a U.S. EC-121 spy plane over its territory. In response, nuclear-capable B-52 bombers headed for North Korea from Guam and veered off just before reaching the DMZ.
    Mid-1970s. South Korea had three nuclear power reactors in operation and six under construction. Under 1974 agreement, U.S. supplied the enriched uranium used to fuel
    South Korean nuclear reactors. In return, American inspectors could check on the nuclear facilities any time.
    March 4, 1975. An inter-agency U.S. intelligence study concludes that Seoul was “proceeding with the initial phases of a nuclear weapons development program.” South Korean President Park Chung-Hee pursued a secret program to develop nuclear weapons capability until he is assassinated in 1979 by director of South Korean CIA.
    June 20, 1975. Secretary of Defense James R. Schlesinger confirms openly that the U.S. “have deployed nuclear weapons in Europe and Korea along with our forces, and those nuclear weapons are available as options for the President.”
    1976. Ax Murder Incident at Panmunjom. As in the EC-121 case, U.S. dispatch B-52s from Guam to fly near North Korean border.
    Early 1980s. North Korea begins construction of 5-megawatt gas-graphite nuclear reactor in Yongbyon.
    December 12, 1985. North Korea joins the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).
    However, North Korea delays completion of a safeguards agreement with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) until U.S. completes withdrawal of its nuclear weapons from South Korea.
    May 1991. DPRK joins the United Nations.
    September 27, 1991. U.S. announces the withdrawal of all naval and land-based tactical nuclear weapons from abroad, including South Korea. About 100 tactical nuclear weapons were reportedly withdrawn. However, no international inspectors ever verified the withdrawal of the nuclear weapons from South Korea. The U.S. also continues to
    maintain its “nuclear umbrella” protection policy over South Korea.
    Really, if you read this, it is completely logical of N Korea to have armed itself up the best it could. It was a matter of survival.

http://www.veteransforpeace.org/File...ar_threats.pdf

btw - what a history -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jong-il

And the US was a threat to North Korea. In 1980, it seems that the US had at least 100 nuclear weapons aimed at Korea.

Really, if you read this, it is completely logical of N Korea to have armed itself up the best it could. It was a matter of survival.

http://www.veteransforpeace.org/File...ar_threats.pdf

btw - what a history -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jong-il
    Sure, but my point was about them being proud of their nuclear weapons while starving.
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

Have you any idea how many Commie nukes were aimed at western countries in the 1980s. Did they arm themselves with nukes as "a matter of survival"? No, they did not.
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

Have you any idea how many Commie nukes were aimed at western countries in the 1980s. Did they arm themselves with nukes as "a matter of survival"? No, they did not.
    Are you aware of who has, and who has not, used nuclear weapons ?

Quote Originally Posted by Griska View Post
    Sure, but my point was about them being proud of their nuclear weapons while starving.
    Yes, I take your point. But their highly militarised regime didn't come out of nowhere, or for no good reason. Once in existence a whole power base came into being that has its own self interests.

I knew very little about Korea before the threads here started by Anti-e and I still don't feel I fully understand how the famine of the 1990s came about. It seems to have mainly been the effects of the fall of the USSR along with their political isolation, and adverse weather conditions. How would disbanding the army have helped ?
    Last edited by C. Flower; 26-12-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Don't tell me, they need nukes as a deterrent against the Great Satan... because the have nothing to reach America with.

On the note, the Russkies tested their nuclear "mace" (Bulava) only yesterday. launched a couple of them from their new Borei class submarine, which can launch 24 Bulavas, each carrying up to 10 warheads of 15 kilotons each. Now that's what I call a deterrent.
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 25-12-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Don't tell me, they need nukes as a deterrent against the Great Satan... because the have nothing to reach America with.

On the note, the Russkies tested their nuclear "mace" (Bulava) only yesterday. launched a couple of them from their new Borei class submarine, which can launch 24 Bulavas, each carrying up to 10 warheads of 15 kilotons each. Now that's what I call a deterrent.
    The 100 US nuclear weapons aimed at N. Korea were based in S. Korea, not the US.

The 100 US nuclear weapons aimed at N. Korea were based in S. Korea, not the US.
    Emphasis added. The US have withdrawn all nuclear warheads in 1991 when South Korea signed an agreement in 1991 with the North pledging a nuclear weapon-free Korean Peninsula.

And that was four years before the Commies, in clear violation of this agreement, started developing their own nukes.

Emphasis added. The US have withdrawn all nuclear warheads in 1991 when South Korea signed an agreement in 1991 with the North pledging a nuclear weapon-free Korean Peninsula.

And that was four years before the Commies, in clear violation of this agreement, started developing their own nukes.
    They started long before that, before Kim Jong iL came to power, in fact.

December 1952. Just about everything in northern and central Korea was completely leveled by U.S. bombing, including cities and towns. Surviving civilians fled into caves.
    May 20 1953. President Eisenhower and the National Security Council approves theuse of atomic bombs if the Chinese and North Koreans did not sign the Armistice agreement. Such message was conveyed to the Chinese through third parties such as India. North Koreans and Chinese cave in to the nuclear blackmail, and armistice talks intensify.
    July 27, 1953. The Armistice Agreement is signed between the generals of U.S., North Korea, and China.
    II) Post-Korean War Period, 1953-1992.
    December 3, 1953. U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff recommends to NSC that the U.S. should launch a “massive atomic air strike” against North Korea and China if the Korean War is renewed.2
    1956. North Korea sends 30 students to study nuclear physics in the Soviet Union.
    January 1958. U.S. military brings into South Korea 280-mm atomic cannons and Honest John nuclear-capable missiles, in violation of the Armistice Agreement. A year later, the Air Force “permanently stationed a squadron of nuclear-tipped Matador cruise missiles in Korea.”
    1965. Soviet Union helps building a nuclear research reactor at Yongbyon.
    1968. North Korea captures Pueblo, a U.S. Navy spy ship. In response, Johnson administration considers use of nuclear option.
    1969. North Korea shoots down a U.S. EC-121 spy plane over its territory. In response, nuclear-capable B-52 bombers headed for North Korea from Guam and veered off just before reaching the DMZ.
    Mid-1970s. South Korea had three nuclear power reactors in operation and six under construction. Under 1974 agreement, U.S. supplied the enriched uranium used to fuel South Korean nuclear reactors. In return, American inspectors could check on the nuclear facilities any time.
    March 4, 1975. An inter-agency U.S. intelligence study concludes that Seoul was “proceeding with the initial phases of a nuclear weapons development program.” South Korean President Park Chung-Hee pursued a secret program to develop nuclear weapons capability until he is assassinated in 1979 by director of South Korean CIA.
    June 20, 1975. Secretary of Defense James R. Schlesinger confirms openly that the U.S. “have deployed nuclear weapons in Europe and Korea along with our forces, and those nuclear weapons are available as options for the President.”
    The withdrawal of nuclear weapons aimed at the north by the US was never verified. S. Korea remained "under the US nuclear umbrella"

You really crack me up. Just as a reminder, in 1948 the US have withdrawn their armed forces from Korea. And what did the Commies do? They did what mice do when the cat is away. Kim Il-sung's red hordes invaded South Korea in June 1950. And had the UN not intervened the South would have fallen within weeks.

So please don't feed me this rubbish about the poor threatened North Koreans acting only in self-defence. Before this communist atrocity, the US had little ambition in Korea.
    Last edited by TotalMayhem; 26-12-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Obviously, I haven’t actually counted each one of these nukes meself in the last year, or is that in fact really obvious? According to Wiki, in the past, and up to at least 2004, the Evil Doers were even more prolific than the Great Satan. Saw some speculation recently that China’s numbers may be greatly understated. Might be true for all countries. I haven’t counted them…………..yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...uclear_weapons
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

You really crack me up. Just as a reminder, in 1948 the US have withdrawn their armed forces from Korea. And what did the Commies do? They did what mice do when the cat is away. Kim Il-sung's red hordes invaded South Korea in June 1950. And had the UN not intervened the South would have fallen within weeks.

So please don't feed me this rubbish about the poor threatened North Koreans acting only in self-defence. Before this communist atrocity, the US had little ambition in Korea.
    I like your sense of humour. The Koreans invaded Korea, and attacked the US.
    What was the US doing in Korea, exactly? There for a picnic ?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast