Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New transatlantic fibre optic cable connecting London and New York to be routed through Belmullet

Default Re: New transatlantic fibre optic cable connecting London and New York to be routed through Belmullet

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ryder View Post
    , but now the folks there are reduced to lighting their own farts if they want gas heating.
    I thought you were in favour of wind energy, There is just no pleasing some people

Default Re: New transatlantic fibre optic cable connecting London and New York to be routed through Belmullet

On a more serious note it does show how we are considered a bulwark of international capitalism.
    If there was the slightest chance that we might develop a spine and rise up, an alternative route would be taken.
    The more we become important to the world of finance, the less diverse our possible choices. If we get radical we will be steam-rolled over. How the hell did it come to this?

Kev Bar Guest

Broken rightwing record repeating the sheeple mantra...
    Baaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Hiss
    Stratch
    Stiff arm salute
    Baaaaaaaaaaaa

I thought all this communication traffic was routed via satellite these days? Having said that I noticed an odd little story a couple of years back in which a ship 'accidentally' ruptured one of these massive cables with an anchor chain (must have been one hell of a ship and in the habit of driving around the ocean with its handbrake on!) off Cyprus I think.

It had, coincidentally, the effect of knocking out a large part of the communications network in the middle east and points eastward of there. I'm not suggesting there were any Americans or Israelis involved or hurt in the posting of this post.

Actually my first thought was that it was in fact Israelis up to their usual insanities. I didn't believe the bullshyte story about an anchor cable for a moment.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Actually it is probably so the British Prime Minister can insert his tongue a little further up the Washington Beltway I should imagine.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    I thought all this communication traffic was routed via satellite these days? Having said that I noticed an odd little story a couple of years back in which a ship 'accidentally' ruptured one of these massive cables with an anchor chain (must have been one hell of a ship and in the habit of driving around the ocean with its handbrake on!) off Cyprus I think.

It had, coincidentally, the effect of knocking out a large part of the communications network in the middle east and points eastward of there. I'm not suggesting there were any Americans or Israelis involved or hurt in the posting of this post.

Actually my first thought was that it was in fact Israelis up to their usual insanities. I didn't believe the bullshyte story about an anchor cable for a moment.
    One of these, perhaps?
    2008 submarine cable disruption refers to three separate incidents of major damage to submarine optical cables. The first incident caused damage involving up to five high-speed Internet submarine communications cables in the Mediterranean Sea and Middle East from 23 January to 4 February 2008, causing internet disruptions and slowdowns for users in the Middle East and India.[1] The incident called into doubt the safety of the undersea portion of the Internet cable system.[2]
    In late February there was another outage, this time affecting a fiber optic connection between Singapore and Jakarta.[3]
    On 19 December, FLAG FEA, GO-1, SEA-ME-WE 3, and SEA-ME-WE 4 were all cut.[4][5][6]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_su...ble_disruption

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    I thought all this communication traffic was routed via satellite these days?
    Fibre-optic cable connections have a number of advantages over satellite ones:

1) higher bandwidth;

2) lower operating power - a fibre-optic cable connection has very low loss per km of length thanks to total internal reflection and judicious choice of materials. That's why it replaced copper in the first place;

3) very little signal dispersion across the operating frequency spectrum - again down to judicious choice of materials. In any case with any given fibre material, the dispersion characteristics are well understood, and correction for this at the receiving end is easy. Not so for satellites as solar weather and upper atmosphere conditions can vary signal quality and frequency-related dispersion enormously;

4) no susceptibility to solar weather;

5) somewhat easier to repair when things go wrong than with a satellite;

6) longer potential operating lifetime (technological obsolescence notwithstanding), and;

7) somewhat cheaper and less risk of infrastructure loss during deployment/construction. Rockets do blow up sometimes and take their expensive payloads with them. Accidents rarely happens with cable-laying ships - 150+ years of cumulative experience has made cable-laying procedures very effective and quite safe.
    "It is we the workers who built these palaces and cities here in Spain and in America and everywhere. We, the workers, can build others to take their place. And better ones! We are not in the least afraid of ruins. We are going to inherit the earth; there is not the slightest doubt about that. The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world here, in our hearts."
    — Buenaventura Durruti

Kev Bar Guest

Fibre-optic cable connections have a number of advantages over satellite ones:

1) higher bandwidth;

2) lower operating power - a fibre-optic cable connection has very low loss per km of length thanks to total internal reflection and judicious choice of materials. That's why it replaced copper in the first place;

3) very little signal dispersion across the operating frequency spectrum - again down to judicious choice of materials. In any case with any given fibre material, the dispersion characteristics are well understood, and correction for this at the receiving end is easy. Not so for satellites as solar weather and upper atmosphere conditions can vary signal quality and frequency-related dispersion enormously;

4) no susceptibility to solar weather;

5) somewhat easier to repair when things go wrong than with a satellite;

6) longer potential operating lifetime (technological obsolescence notwithstanding), and;

7) somewhat cheaper and less risk of infrastructure loss during deployment/construction. Rockets do blow up sometimes and take their expensive payloads with them. Accidents rarely happens with cable-laying ships - 150+ years of cumulative experience has made cable-laying procedures very effective and quite safe.
    Snip- Play nice, Kev Bar.
    Last edited by Griska; 02-12-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Speaking of satellites, the Erris area has a really good satellite broadband provider in McGrath Broadband of Belmullet. Not as fast as cable connection, but still far superior to the poorly-disguised dialup Eircom is flogging to ruralites. Also it's less liable to jamming or disruption as had happened when the Solitaire first came to Broadhaven Bay in Sept. 2008, when all mobile phone and terrestrial internet connections in the area of Glengad and for several miles around mysteriously went dead. I suspect the Naval Service (and others) may have questions to answer over that occurrence.

Urgent Call Out! Escalation in Erris as Solitaire arrives - solidarity needed (09/09/2008)
    Last edited by Kid Ryder; 02-12-2011 at 12:52 AM. Reason: change of determiner
    "It is we the workers who built these palaces and cities here in Spain and in America and everywhere. We, the workers, can build others to take their place. And better ones! We are not in the least afraid of ruins. We are going to inherit the earth; there is not the slightest doubt about that. The bourgeoisie might blast and ruin its own world before it leaves the stage of history. We carry a new world here, in our hearts."
    — Buenaventura Durruti

Iceland look to be stealing our data center lunch. Their cheap electricity could sway it for them

According to Þorvaldur the new cable will increase the likelihood that Iceland can become a global hub for data centres. In order for that to become a reality several different pieces need to fall into place. Firstly there needs to be a plentiful supply of cheap electricity; which Iceland has. Number two, he says, is to use Iceland’s often-cold air to cool the servers; replacing the need to pump masses of water around the buildings. There also needs to be enough available land to build the data centres — which Iceland also has. Then there is the need for excellent high-speed internet connections; which the new cable would ensure.
    http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2011...#ixzz1fTr11vtU
    Last edited by DCon; 03-12-2011 at 01:52 PM.
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

People Korps Guest

The company behind this think that by having the cable come to Ireland first they will get a few nano seconds of extra speed over London and thus make Ireland an interesting spot for automated large volume bond/stock traders to locate here esp if they are trading between USA and Europe
    . The fact that it is landing in Mayo is well lets just say entirely to do with our current Taoiseach who is a Mayoman and obviously is thinking of having the IFSC relocate to Castlebar...no joke
    The optics (excuse the pun) are that noone has really assessed where it would be best to have it land in Ireland perhaps routing to Mayo will lose us a nano second or two who knows but sure Inda is the boss

FYI each Nanosecond of extra speed could be worth 100mil per annum to the right company

And guess what Irelands biggest loser of an entrepreneur Declan Ganley never thought of this one

PK with his finger on the pulse of the nation is privy to several months of chats re this .......

Iceland is starting to compete

Iceland has sought to reinvent itself as a safe and secure data haven halfway between Europe and North America as it recovers from the economic meltdown after the failure of the country's top lenders in 2008 when they defaulted on €64bn.

Bjorgolfur Thor Bjorgolfsson, Iceland's first billionaire and the former owner of one of its largest failed banks, Landsbanki, opened a $700m (€527m) data centre called Verne Global on a disused NATO airbase in Iceland last month.

The Wellcome Trust, a £14bn (€16.7bn) UK investment foundation, is also betting big on Iceland. The organisation is the largest investor in Verne, as well as a shareholder of the Emerald cable.

Tax law

Iceland's data centres are also betting on a change in a tax law that cuts the levy on importing equipment as the government seeks to re-balance the economy away from financial services.

Iceland provides free cooling to data centres by using so- called 'heat wheels', which funnel hot air out and cool air in.

The volcanic island's power is provided by renewable energy from hydroelectric and geo thermal power plants, with contracts locked in for as long as 20 years, according to Einar Hansen Tomasson, project manager with Invest in Iceland Agency, which is promoting the island
    http://www.independent.ie/business/i...n-3060911.html
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

So Iceland's answer to Seánie Fitzpatrick still has money to invest in Verne Global, even after collapsing LandsBanki and being one of the men who sent the Icelandic economy south. I can see now why INM would be trumpeting this. They believe it set a precedent useful for Oireland Inc. to follow. Ahh the joys of limited liability and corporate personhood, no neck to hang, no back to flog...
    — Buenaventura Durruti

Looks like it's going to be Killala rather than Belmullet according to the Connacht Telegraph.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12