Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genetically modified crops in Ireland

Default Re: Genetically modified crops in Ireland

Jaysus I can’t step out of the room for a minute and I’m accused of running away scared !
    ; )

Selective breeding has been going on forever and is intrinsic to humanity’s capacity to advance as a species.

The splicing of genes, the invention of new genomes and their registering as new intellectual property – ‘in a word’, Genetic Engineering, is a whole new ball game.

In short . . . . . .
    Genetic Engineering in agriculture is solely about facilitating intensive production and therefore increasing corporate profits.

There are so many concerns people have about genetically engineering I could be tapping away on this keyboard for the next couple of hours.
    This information is available for anyone else every bit as much as it was for me.
    For starters Google Terminator technology
    Or buy Jello Biafra’s spoken word album “If evolution is outlawed, only the outlawed will evolve” (1998)

My concerns lie in the patenting of new species of plants. This is the patenting of the environment itself. I believe it is unethical to patent genetic material because it treats life as a commodity. It is the ultimate in capitalist thinking.

The risks of genetically engineered food have not been adequately identified, and I would question the objectivity of regulatory authorities, which is why I brought the information earlier this week to people’s attention.

Mono-culture in farming is dangerous; relying on a single flora species is a recipe for disaster. Nature is in a constant state of flux – this is even more so given human-made climate change. For a single farm or an entire agricultural sector to grow a single uniform crop does not account for the possibility of unforeseeable conditions that attack that crop. I don’t need to remind the people here of the human costs that unfolded when a single crop was the basis of a people’s diet in this country before. Huge swathes of the population of Ireland relied on the potato – the blight destroyed it – and millions subsequently starved.

Ecological bio-diversity counters this, i.e. if one crop is made vulnerable, then others will compensate. Without the ‘intervention’ of big business in genetic modification nature reaches equilibrium of its own.

Patent rights give corporations a dangerous amount of control over "their product". The company Monsanto obligates farmers who choose to buy their genetically engineered seeds to sign a license agreement, agreeing that they cannot save seed from their crop to plant in successive years and can use the seed only to grow a crop that they will store or sell. And Monsanto has pursued farmers who the company believes has broken that agreement and filed patent infringement suits, as seen in 145 cases.
    Sss-hh. Don’t mention the lack of sovereignty in the Irish state.
    The acknowledgement of the 1916 Rising by the Establishment and its nauseating, craven lackeys is simply a political convenience devoid of any real meaning!

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse go Deo View Post
    Selective breeding is much different to genetically engineering something.
    Depends who you talk to.

Genetic engineering does not normally include traditional animal and plant breeding, in vitro fertilisation, induction of polyploidy, mutagenesis and cell fusion techniques that do not use recombinant nucleic acids or a genetically modified organism in the process.[4] However the European Commission has also defined genetic engineering broadly as including selective breeding and other means of artificial selection.[5] Cloning and stem cell research, although not considered genetic engineering,[6] are closely related and genetic engineering can be used within them.[7] Synthetic biology is an emerging discipline that takes genetic engineering a step further by introducing artificially synthesized genetic material from raw materials into an organism.[8]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_engineering

Must have some redeeming qualities, Chinese doing damnedest to steal formula.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...americas-seeds
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

[QUOTE=Count Bobulescu;373348]Depends who you talk to.
    . . . . . QUOTE]

attempts to categorise Genetic Engineering as part of selective breeding is disingenious.

The legal, environmental and social implications make it very different.
    The acknowledgement of the 1916 Rising by the Establishment and its nauseating, craven lackeys is simply a political convenience devoid of any real meaning!

[QUOTE=Pearse Monnet;373350]
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    Depends who you talk to.
    . . . . . QUOTE]

attempts to categorise Genetic Engineering as part of selective breeding is disingenious.

The legal, environmental and social implications make it very different.
    Guess you need to take that up with the EU Commission.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

[QUOTE=Count Bobulescu;373352]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearse Monnet View Post
    Guess you need to take that up with the EU Commission.
    i'm on it! They keep fobbin' me off, though.

MORE ABOUT EU GM REGIME IN BRITISH PRESS: The Independent editorialized about the EU’s unwillingness to allow GM imports. Its argument (a common one) is that we need to embrace agriculture innovation in order to feed the world’s growing population. In the Independent’s words: “Without GM, too many will starve.” One point of criticism: There’s a lot of lazy “European authorities” are guilty rhetoric. All of you who have been following the glyphosate debate know the issue is much more complicated than the Commission taking a unilateral stance. Read the editorial: http://ind.pn/25lRkYY

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12