Just don't link that poxy Paul McCartney video
    I was just about to... good job you mentioned

Default Re: The Christmas Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Griska View Post
    Great.
    Just don't link that poxy Paul McCartney video
    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    I was just about to... good job you mentioned
    How's about a bit of Cliff Richards instead?
    Happiness is an inside job.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

noooo Cliff Richard! Frankie Goes to Hollywood is a great tune and of course Wham!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShN8UIk5-mw"]The Power Of Love - Frankie Goes To Hollywood - YouTube[/ame]
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Default Maidir Le: The Christmas Thread

The story of the American Pilgrim Fathers is totally made up. They did not land in Plymouth Rock, but in Provincetown, Massachusetts; they did not sail on the Mayflower; and they did not flee from religious persecution. In fact, they wanted to carry out some religious persecution and create a country from which [there] could be no dissent from Puritanism. They hated the religious freedom in England. In 1660 Puritans hanged a woman, Mary Dyer, for being a Quaker.

The key role that a Puritan pig played in the trial of George Spencer in 1641 was that it was a victim and a witness. Spencer was an ugly man who was bald and had one eye, living in New Haven, Connecticut, home of the Puritans in America. He was accused of breaking Leviticus 20:15; "If a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death, and ye shall slay the beast." One day a sow farrowed a litter of piglets, one of whom looked very similar to Spencer. He was brought to court and accused of lying with the pig. He denied it, but then the court said, "There shall be mercy shown, should you be open and honest." Spencer then thought he should pretend to confess and he did, but the court said that it would be God who would show mercy, not them, and they took his confession seriously. However, in order for him to be executed the court needed two witnesses. One was Spencer, the other was the pig itself, who they brought into court and they claimed the pig confessed to the crime. As a result, both were executed.

[[ I won't post the stuff about the innocent donkey but it can be read in the link below ]]

The New Haven Puritans abolished trial by jury because juries are not mentioned in the Bible. Thus they thought they had no place in life.

The former Lord Chancellor Lord Mackay of Clashfern was a member of the Wee Frees, an extreme Scottish Presbyterian sect. He was thrown out of the church after going to the funeral of a judge who happened to be Catholic. He was also once holding a tea party for some lawyers at which he served toast and a tiny pot of honey. One of lawyers looked at it and said: "I see Your Lordship keeps a bee."

BBC QI - Thanksgiving
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

What is the ''Spirit of Christmas?''

It's all a bit clouded somewhere between ''Jesus and Santa''
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQDt8J3q9yo&feature=related"]Jesus vs. Santa - YouTube[/ame]

Default Maidir Le: The Christmas Thread

The Big Chill

Winter song

Variation - Fairytale of New York

All pics taken last winter (2010/2011)
    Give me a misty day, pearly gray, silver, silky faced, wide-awake crescent-shaped smile

Anyone having Turducken for Christmas dinner?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken
    Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~Oscar Ameringer

Christmas in Captivity.

There was a certain collective gloom hung over Christmas in Gaol, as i recall
    On every face you could sense that mood. Especially amongst the first timers.

Come the hour [midnight xmas eve] you could hear a pin drop, sometimes a tear drop amongst the uncanny silence in the dark.

Individual men were having their ''Dickens of a Christmas'' confronting Ghosts of Christmas's past, Christmas present and Christmas's yet to come. As with ''Scrouge'' in'' A Christmas Carol'' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol

Psychologically, Christmas caused them to recall happier moments/or not, in different environments and so ''the seasonal spirit'' had their minds elsewhere.

I'm not the greatest of singers but Prison bars and yards and concrete blocks produces a hauntingly toned vibration that suits my voice and can be heard through every cell and beyond the block.

In eerie silence i began to say the words in rolling rhyme [slow song] ''Silent night, Holy Night, all is calm, all is bright, Round young Virgin, Mother and child''

After ''Holy Infant'' and so on, I caught the sound of the first tears with the words ''Sleep in Heavenly Peace''

For days previously the screws had placed a wee Christmas Tree near to the prisoners phone booth. A wee mind game they enjoy.

As i went to the phone i was singing to the tune of ''Walking in a Winter wonderland'' but changed the words to ''Later on, If you wanta, You can dress like Madonna, ''Walking round in Women's Underwear!'' [Reverse Psychology]

Being a mixed Religion remand wing i'm surprised i got beyond ''Round young Virgin'' without an uproar from opposing religious based groupings.

Not a word.
    Silent remained the night and the Peace was Heavenly.
    Last edited by Trow; 23-11-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: fix link/christmas carol

If the budget is going to be as they say then I'll be having some beans on toast.

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post

Only if you're Homer Simpson, surely?
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    noooo Cliff Richard! Frankie Goes to Hollywood is a great tune and of course Wham!

The Power Of Love - Frankie Goes To Hollywood - YouTube
    Right ... I've open licence now

The Power of Love ... hmmm that same title was used by at least 3 bands/artists in 1984 (the 80s was full of luvvvvvvvvv .....) and then along came Huey Lewis & The News in 1985 and a DeLorean... I particularly remember that useless bit of info of old, which just has to be shared

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr0xJBsVbZY"]JENNIFER RUSH - 'THE POWER OF LOVE' 1984 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot8_u9L2mD4"]Astaire - The Power Of Love (Club Mix) 1984 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShN8UIk5-mw"]The Power Of Love - Frankie Goes To Hollywood - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsFtEqnyWYY"]Huey Lewis & The News - The Power Of Love - YouTube[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    Right ... I've open licence now

The Power of Love ... hmmm that same title was used by at least 3 bands/artists in 1984 (the 80s was full of luvvvvvvvvv .....) and then along came Huey Lewis & The News in 1985 and a DeLorean... I particularly remember that useless bit of info of old, which just has to be shared

JENNIFER RUSH - 'THE POWER OF LOVE' 1984 - YouTube

Astaire - The Power Of Love (Club Mix) 1984 - YouTube

The Power Of Love - Frankie Goes To Hollywood - YouTube

Huey Lewis & The News - The Power Of Love - YouTube
    I'd never heard of the Astaire one.
    You must have had some woeful clubbing experiences
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

Quote Originally Posted by Griska View Post
    I'd never heard of the Astaire one.
    You must have had some woeful clubbing experiences
    Don't remember too much about 'em to be terribly honest ... besides the copious amounts of booze and of course the curry meal (which was compulsory (food to be served) in those days - pure yuck but hey delicious when demented)

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post

now that would be sooooo gooood! Stuffed with nuts, stuffing and sprouts and lashings of gravy! Now its lunch time and Im going to be thinking about this all day! Im trying shed a few lbs and you sods posting this

Ahh Jennifer Rush, typical power ballad (isnt the blokey ones called **** rock? )! It seems the key for an eighties hit was just put love and power in the titles and have a soaring chorus and thats yer number 1
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast