Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 497

Thread: The Christmas Thread

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    5,363

    Default Re: Maidir Le: The Christmas Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    To tally with the influx of Badgers round these parts and being seasonal

    Christmas Badgers - YouTube
    I love it.
    I'd imagine the creator is of a dubious state of mind, but hey.....
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,127

    Default Re: Maidir Le: The Christmas Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Griska View Post
    I love it.
    I'd imagine the creator is of a dubious state of mind, but hey.....
    They must be, or else they just love taking the *****

    Look at this example ... one of these centuries England might actually win something

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrYuDGWBJEk&feature=related"]Footy Footy Footy! - YouTube[/ame]

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Out of my mind
    Posts
    12,142

    Default Re: The Christmas Thread

    What would Christmas be without Kevin Bloody Wilson?


    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEe55NxFSSU"]Kevin Bloody Wilson Hey Santa Claus - YouTube[/ame]
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    16,664

    Default Re: The Christmas Thread

    I'll post this every year. I've heard it a trillion times and still get goosebumps every time.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEi9IDV3BzA"]O Holy Night - Leontyne Price - YouTube[/ame]
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    8,107

    Default Re: The Christmas Thread

    As the US heads into its biggest holiday of the year, Thanksgiving, this Thursday, which celebrates harvest collection, did you ever wonder why the US venerates “Thanksgiving” above Christmas or New Year? Simple answer really. Everyone needs to eat, not everyone needs to believe in a religion.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12,044

    Default Re: The Christmas Thread

    Yup ... although I'd be inclined to thank the guy with the hunting rifle for the turkey and not CloudBoy...
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: The Christmas Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    As the US heads into its biggest holiday of the year, Thanksgiving, this Thursday, which celebrates harvest collection, did you ever wonder why the US venerates “Thanksgiving” above Christmas or New Year? Simple answer really. Everyone needs to eat, not everyone needs to believe in a religion.
    Oh and I get criticised for posting this Xmas thread because of my lack of religious conviction !

    Anyways the mince pies are there already, its an opportunity to make some me thinks. Big dollop od whipped cream and whiskey sauce or brandy butter ....
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,127

    Default Re: The Christmas Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Oh and I get criticised for posting this Xmas thread because of my lack of religious conviction !

    Anyways the mince pies are there already, its an opportunity to make some me thinks. Big dollop od whipped cream and whiskey sauce or brandy butter ....
    I can recommend the ones in Aldi ... delicious having tried same

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: The Christmas Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    I can recommend the ones in Aldi ... delicious having tried same
    all washed down with a Jameson and one ice cube
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granny Madden's
    Posts
    6,140

    Default Re: The Christmas Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    I'll post this every year.
    And I give this one an annual outing, my favourite Christmas song.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz7oguguIZE"]Woody Guthrie - 1913 Massacre - YouTube[/ame]

    Dead Children Count - 73.
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

    If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: The Christmas Thread

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1913_Massacre

    Discusses the history of the song. Thanks for the link Five...
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    8,107

    Default Re: The Christmas Thread

    [QUOTE=fluffybiscuits;203762]Oh and I get criticised for posting this Xmas thread because of my lack of religious conviction !
    Fluffy, maybe Lost in Translation, my intent was not to criticize but to explain. People outside the US often wonder. Backatcha!
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: The Christmas Thread

    [quote=Count Bobulescu;203911]
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Oh and I get criticised for posting this Xmas thread because of my lack of religious conviction !
    Fluffy, maybe Lost in Translation, my intent was not to criticize but to explain. People outside the US often wonder. Backatcha!
    my fault sorry !
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Grove
    Posts
    3,908

    Default Re: The Christmas Thread

    An example of how the ''season of peace and good will to all men'' is short lived.

    The Christmas truce....

    The Christmas truce was a series of widespread unofficial ceasefires that took place along the Western Front around Christmas of 1914, during the First World War.

    Through the week leading up to Christmas, parties of German and British soldiers began to exchange seasonal greetings and songs between their trenches; on occasion, the tension was reduced to the point that individuals would walk across to talk to their opposite numbers bearing gifts.

    On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, many soldiers from both sides – as well as, to a lesser degree, from French units – independently ventured into "No man's land", where they mingled, exchanging food and souvenirs. As well as joint burial ceremonies, several meetings ended in carol-singing. Troops from both sides had also been so friendly as to play games of football with one another.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce
    Happiness is an inside job.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...
    Posts
    13,555

    Default Re: The Christmas Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    An example of how the ''season of peace and good will to all men'' is short lived.

    The Christmas truce....

    The Christmas truce was a series of widespread unofficial ceasefires that took place along the Western Front around Christmas of 1914, during the First World War.

    Through the week leading up to Christmas, parties of German and British soldiers began to exchange seasonal greetings and songs between their trenches; on occasion, the tension was reduced to the point that individuals would walk across to talk to their opposite numbers bearing gifts.

    On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, many soldiers from both sides – as well as, to a lesser degree, from French units – independently ventured into "No man's land", where they mingled, exchanging food and souvenirs. As well as joint burial ceremonies, several meetings ended in carol-singing. Troops from both sides had also been so friendly as to play games of football with one another.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce
    There is a great film about that. My father loves it, called Joyeux Noel

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOAaSgpHjw"]Joyeux Noel (2005) - Official Movie Trailer HQ - YouTube[/ame]
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Share us
Follow Us