Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Christmas Thread

Default Re: Maidir Le: The Christmas Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    To tally with the influx of Badgers round these parts and being seasonal

Christmas Badgers - YouTube
    I love it.
    I'd imagine the creator is of a dubious state of mind, but hey.....
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

Default Re: Maidir Le: The Christmas Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Griska View Post
    I love it.
    I'd imagine the creator is of a dubious state of mind, but hey.....
    They must be, or else they just love taking the *****

Look at this example ... one of these centuries England might actually win something

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrYuDGWBJEk&feature=related"]Footy Footy Footy! - YouTube[/ame]

Default Re: The Christmas Thread

What would Christmas be without Kevin Bloody Wilson?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEe55NxFSSU"]Kevin Bloody Wilson Hey Santa Claus - YouTube[/ame]
    Thus all which you call Sin, Destruction—in brief, Evil—that is my true element.

I'll post this every year. I've heard it a trillion times and still get goosebumps every time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEi9IDV3BzA"]O Holy Night - Leontyne Price - YouTube[/ame]
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

As the US heads into its biggest holiday of the year, Thanksgiving, this Thursday, which celebrates harvest collection, did you ever wonder why the US venerates “Thanksgiving” above Christmas or New Year? Simple answer really. Everyone needs to eat, not everyone needs to believe in a religion.
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

Yup ... although I'd be inclined to thank the guy with the hunting rifle for the turkey and not CloudBoy...
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

hiding inside Brendan Gleesons underwear drawer...

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bobulescu View Post
    As the US heads into its biggest holiday of the year, Thanksgiving, this Thursday, which celebrates harvest collection, did you ever wonder why the US venerates “Thanksgiving” above Christmas or New Year? Simple answer really. Everyone needs to eat, not everyone needs to believe in a religion.
    Oh and I get criticised for posting this Xmas thread because of my lack of religious conviction !

Anyways the mince pies are there already, its an opportunity to make some me thinks. Big dollop od whipped cream and whiskey sauce or brandy butter ....
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Oh and I get criticised for posting this Xmas thread because of my lack of religious conviction !

Anyways the mince pies are there already, its an opportunity to make some me thinks. Big dollop od whipped cream and whiskey sauce or brandy butter ....
    I can recommend the ones in Aldi ... delicious having tried same

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    I can recommend the ones in Aldi ... delicious having tried same
    all washed down with a Jameson and one ice cube
    History is the only true teacher, the revolution the best school for the proletariat - Rosa Luxembourg

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    I'll post this every year.
    And I give this one an annual outing, my favourite Christmas song.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz7oguguIZE"]Woody Guthrie - 1913 Massacre - YouTube[/ame]

Dead Children Count - 73.
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

If dreams were lightning, thunder was desire, this whole place would have burned down, a long time ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1913_Massacre

Discusses the history of the song. Thanks for the link Five...

[QUOTE=fluffybiscuits;203762]Oh and I get criticised for posting this Xmas thread because of my lack of religious conviction !
    Fluffy, maybe Lost in Translation, my intent was not to criticize but to explain. People outside the US often wonder. Backatcha!
    As a general rule the most successful man in life is the man who has the best information.

[quote=Count Bobulescu;203911]
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffybiscuits View Post
    Fluffy, maybe Lost in Translation, my intent was not to criticize but to explain. People outside the US often wonder. Backatcha!
    my fault sorry !

An example of how the ''season of peace and good will to all men'' is short lived.

The Christmas truce....

The Christmas truce was a series of widespread unofficial ceasefires that took place along the Western Front around Christmas of 1914, during the First World War.

Through the week leading up to Christmas, parties of German and British soldiers began to exchange seasonal greetings and songs between their trenches; on occasion, the tension was reduced to the point that individuals would walk across to talk to their opposite numbers bearing gifts.

On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, many soldiers from both sides – as well as, to a lesser degree, from French units – independently ventured into "No man's land", where they mingled, exchanging food and souvenirs. As well as joint burial ceremonies, several meetings ended in carol-singing. Troops from both sides had also been so friendly as to play games of football with one another.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce
    Happiness is an inside job.

Quote Originally Posted by Trow View Post
    An example of how the ''season of peace and good will to all men'' is short lived.

The Christmas truce....

The Christmas truce was a series of widespread unofficial ceasefires that took place along the Western Front around Christmas of 1914, during the First World War.

Through the week leading up to Christmas, parties of German and British soldiers began to exchange seasonal greetings and songs between their trenches; on occasion, the tension was reduced to the point that individuals would walk across to talk to their opposite numbers bearing gifts.

On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, many soldiers from both sides – as well as, to a lesser degree, from French units – independently ventured into "No man's land", where they mingled, exchanging food and souvenirs. As well as joint burial ceremonies, several meetings ended in carol-singing. Troops from both sides had also been so friendly as to play games of football with one another.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_truce
    There is a great film about that. My father loves it, called Joyeux Noel

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GOAaSgpHjw"]Joyeux Noel (2005) - Official Movie Trailer HQ - YouTube[/ame]

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast