Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Eamon Gilmore to Launch Book on James Connolly

Default Re: Eamon Gilmore to Launch Book on James Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    What have James Connolly, Eamon Gilmore and Conor Cruise O'Brien got in common?
    Nothing. I cannot think of one thing. one might as well try to imagine Peter Sutherland and James Connolly having lunch at the Merrion.
    Think National. Act Local. Oh- and superstition is just the dark matter of human history.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Con O'Sullivan View Post
    Nothing. I cannot think of one thing. one might as well try to imagine Peter Sutherland and James Connolly having lunch at the Merrion.
    They were all members of The Labour Party. Indeed, Conor Cruise O'Brien drew up the Labour Party's policy on Northern Ireland before he went off and joined the Unionist Party. Needless to say .... the Labour has never revised Conor's work. Now, just look at what James Connolly started.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Quote Originally Posted by riposte View Post
    Conor Cruise O'Brien ... went off and joined the Unionist Party.
    Cruise O'Brien joined something called the UKUP (United Kingdom Unionist Party, a short-lived group, not the same as the Ulster Unionist Party or "Official Unionist Party"). I think the Cruiser did not actually "go off", instead he retained his Labour Party membership. This would have been a breach of the LP constitution. But the post-Connolly LP has never been too concerned about democratic niceties.

Quote Originally Posted by Stasia View Post
    But the post-Connolly LP has never been too concerned about democratic niceties.
    This is not to cast aspersions on William O'Brien, who I'm rather keen on .....

This is not to cast aspersions on William O'Brien, who I'm rather keen on .....
    ..... despite his rows with Larkin!

..... despite his rows with Larkin!
    We know all about that out here in Inchicore.

Last edited by riposte; 07-06-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

If the Connolly/Casement argument is right ( - I believe it is right), then the Great War was a British plot, engineered by a cabal of leading British military and political figures from both main parties.
    Putting this argument today can come across as obsessive, mono-maniacal, paranoid, Anglophobe conspiracy theory. But, from the defeat of Napoleon until the start of the twentieth century, Britain was the undisputed master of the world; a Great Power like no other for several previous millenia. Today the USA looks a bit like that, though I don't think American power can compare with British power 1815-1900. ( - Set aside for a moment the shock waves experienced by the Empire when a few white South African farmers gave it a run for its money, causing it to worry about what might lie just around the corner - an efficiently run, industrialised, "WHITE" , modern European state, whose further development was an existential threat. The words "Carthago delenda est " became a preoccupation.)

British mastery of the waves at that time was as if, today, without American permission and approval, no plane could fly, no oil tanker or cargo container could sail.

Modern American power is not so total. Yet, much of the world's warfare and destruction today is fairly obviously the direct result of American strategic policy, often presented in humanitarian guise.

In assessing the responsibility of Britain for the 1914-18 catastrophe and its continuing consequences into the 21st century, I think a fair hearing should be given to two of the most powerful and best-informed Irish minds of the time - Connolly and Casement.

Even with hindsight, and in knowledge of how things actually turned out, Casement's 1914 book on the subject is highly enlightening:
    The Crime Against Europe, http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14728

FC Howe's 1916 book Why War? http://archive.org/stream/whywar00ho...e/232/mode/2up
    is in the opposite camp to Casement/Connolly, but IMO actually confirms their argument.

Putting this argument today can come across as obsessive, mono-maniacal, paranoid, Anglophobe conspiracy theory. But, from the defeat of Napoleon until the start of the twentieth century, Britain was the undisputed master of the world; a Great Power like no other for several previous millenia. Today the USA looks a bit like that, though I don't think American power can compare with British power 1815-1900. ( - Set aside for a moment the shock waves experienced by the Empire when a few white South African farmers gave it a run for its money, causing it to worry about what might lie just around the corner - an efficiently run, industrialised, "WHITE" , modern European state, whose further development was an existential threat. The words "Carthago delenda est " became a preoccupation.)

British mastery of the waves at that time was as if, today, without American permission and approval, no plane could fly, no oil tanker or cargo container could sail.

Modern American power is not so total. Yet, much of the world's warfare and destruction today is fairly obviously the direct result of American strategic policy, often presented in humanitarian guise.

In assessing the responsibility of Britain for the 1914-18 catastrophe and its continuing consequences into the 21st century, I think a fair hearing should be given to two of the most powerful and best-informed Irish minds of the time - Connolly and Casement.

Even with hindsight, and in knowledge of how things actually turned out, Casement's 1914 book on the subject is highly enlightening:
    The Crime Against Europe, http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14728

FC Howe's 1916 book Why War? http://archive.org/stream/whywar00ho...e/232/mode/2up
    is in the opposite camp to Casement/Connolly, but IMO actually confirms their argument.
    From my personal perspective, it doesn't look obsessive. There are times when I'm accused of obsessing over the role of the US - but the truth imo is that the role of the US is underestimated, not overestimated. The massive machine that is a modern industrial and military state, and the multi-faceted way that it exerts its influence, is the most important political characteristic of our era. But we are not supposed to talk about it *sighs* except in its own terms of "democracy promotion" etc.

Britain, as a power, would naturally have done everything it could to prevent Germany rising as a rival power, just as the US is now in relation to China.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    From my personal perspective, it doesn't look obsessive.
    Thanks for this!

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    From my personal perspective, it doesn't look obsessive.
    Thanks for this! [Sorry for duplicate.]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345