Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The rise of the far right in Europe

Default The rise of the far right in Europe

The scene is being set for the biggest threat to left wing politics since facism in Europe at the moment. The rise of far right parties is very worry as disenfranchised people flock to them and are attracted to the venom that they speak.

Poland

Right wing nationalists rioting on Rememberance Day

Greece

The entry into politics of the far right parties since the Military Junta failed

UK

The BNP and EDF

Its only a matter of time before Ireland gets some nutjob scumbag party rising up the ranks on the back of xenophobia and racism. Look at the Flemish Block in Belgium et al. Are we facing a threat >?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...-europe-report
    Cause I can’t change, I can’t change the world alone
    I need you all, everybody, start dreaming of it
    And take your step that’s gonna make a difference and change your world
    - Hotel FM

www.fluffybiscuits.org - Eccentric,Utopian and a tad mad

Default Re: The rise of the far right in Europe

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSvnr6yLqvw"]The best of Deco's week on Vincent Browne - YouTube[/ame]

The mere existence of the European Union will keep the extreme right under a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    The mere existence of the European Union will keep the extreme right under a rock.
    How so? I think it actually galvanises them- just look at the electoral hay the UKIP, Front National and others have made out of the EU and its increasing power vis-a-vis the nation state.
    Нооруз пиээ пурылыа выиттыа

'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class'
    Pat Rabitte, 1987

"Can I ask whether this is what the men of 1916 died for: a bailout from the German chancellor with a few shillings of sympathy from the British chancellor on the side?"
    Michael Noonan, November 2010

Quote Originally Posted by antiestablishmentarian View Post
    How so? I think it actually galvanises them- just look at the electoral hay the UKIP, Front National and others have made out of the EU and its increasing power vis-a-vis the nation state.
    Precisely my point; UKIP, National Front, and other Euroskeptics like them cannot tolerate membership of the European Union where they are seen as isolated cranks. The two mentalities cannot co-exist. Should the electorate of a member state choose right-wing nationalist parties, those countries will leave the Union.

Is not a case that the right wing could take over the EU at some point with the intention of destroying it from the inside out? These Euroskeptics and right wing fruit and nut jobs that get elected are all going to get an opportunity to flex their muscles and pass legislation that is good for business. One other thing I think will happen, the right wing will tighten immigration laws in the hope of peddling more of their agenda.
    - Hotel FM

Precisely my point; UKIP, National Front, and other Euroskeptics like them cannot tolerate membership of the European Union where they are seen as isolated cranks. The two mentalities cannot co-exist. Should the electorate of a member state choose right-wing nationalist parties, those countries will leave the Union.

I think this is demonstrably wrong. It's the EU that has imposed a government in Greece that includes MPs from a blatantly anti-semitic party.
    The new Greek government is not neutral. It has replaced a centrist/left Government with a right/far right one.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I think this is demonstrably wrong. It's the EU that has imposed a government in Greece that includes MPs from a blatantly anti-semitic party.
    Being anti-Israeli is not the same thing as being anti-semitic.
    The new Greek government is not neutral. It has replaced a centrist/left Government with a right/far right one.
    If they are truly far right then they will refuse to comply with conditions attached to further aid from the Union and they will be given the boot.

- Hotel FM

If they are truly far right then they will refuse to comply with conditions attached to further aid from the Union and they will be given the boot.
    They have refused to sign off on the deal. But they will not be given the boot. It's right wing populism.

I don't think anyone said it was.

With the inclusion of four representatives from the Popular Orthodox Rally (Laos), the Papademos administration sees the far-right participate in the country’s government for the first time since the fall of the dictatorship in 1974.

“Laos is anti-immigrant and anti-minorities in its sentiment and its politics. That is the criterion of a far-right party,” said sociologist Miltos Pavlou, who heads the Athens-based Institute for Rights, Equality and Diversity.

For the new Laos ministers, the transformation from anti-establishment outsiders to responsible ministers may be a difficult one.

Now a deputy minister for shipping, Adonis Georgiadis, a Laos MP, has in the past advertised and endorsed a controversial Greek book called Jews: The Whole Truth on his television show broadcast on a channel set up by Laos’s leader.

The book has been described by the Central Board of Jewish Communities in Greece as a “defamatory, anti-Semitic book in which Jews are called ‘subhuman’ and are directly threatened with annihilation”

"The book has been described by the Central Board of Jewish Communities in Greece as a “defamatory, anti-Semitic book in which Jews are called ‘subhuman’ and are directly threatened with annihilation”.
    You trust the Central Board of Jewish Communities in Greece as a trustworthy objective source, then?

That's true. But not, however , in the case of the aforementioned Greek piece of ****

http://www.jta.org/news/article/2009...christ-killers.

Karatzaferis, the head of the far right political party LAOS, says that with some effort the Jews could be placed among the nations of justice, "but what do you expect from a race that crucified God the only time he came to earth." Later he asks rhetorically, "Yet would God killers care about a few hundred innocent children?"

The editorial ends by saying, "Unfortunately it is known all over the world that a Jew smells of blood."

Cue Birdseye and Sam to explain that he's actually anti-Zionist.

I have no time for the LAOS and would be obliged if you did not, in your typically intellectually dishonest manner, attribute positions to me which I have never taken.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

New Minister for Infrastructure in Greece is a right wing thug with a history of violence.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/...+capitalism%29

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast