Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian Bailey extradition case adjourned to consider 'new material'

Default Re: Ian Bailey extradition case adjourned to consider 'new material'

Quote Originally Posted by OB1 Kenobe View Post
    I wonder if a similar situation arose in France and the RoI went after a French national, what would happen? Methinks RoI would be told where to get off mais tres vite!
    I may be wrong, but I think that there was such a case, concerning an Irish backpacker who was murdered by a serial killer, the gendarmes had given up on it but the family kept at it and finally the killer was traced.

Why do we assume that johnny foreigner will not treat us properly? Lack of confidence is it?

Apropos Bailey, he hasn't had the best press, he won a case agin them didn't he? It still doesn't prove anything, one way or the other. The facts remain, a woman was killed, the law has failed her.

Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think that there was such a case, concerning an Irish backpacker who was murdered by a serial killer, the gendarmes had given up on it but the family kept at it and finally the killer was traced.

Why do we assume that johnny foreigner will not treat us properly? Lack of confidence is it?
    Presumably you're referring to the serial killer Pierre Chanal. He was dealt with under French law and there was no question of seeking to export him to another jurisdiction to answer for his actions in France.

There's nothing xenophobic about this case. It's about Bailey's right to justice and about our sovereignty.

Quote Originally Posted by barrym View Post
    Apropos Bailey, he hasn't had the best press, he won a case agin them didn't he? It still doesn't prove anything, one way or the other. The facts remain, a woman was killed, the law has failed her.
    Abandoning the principles our justice system is founded on will only result in creating victims.

More murky stuff coming out today including claims that a potential witness was offered cannabis by the Gardai and that Sophie Toscan de Plantier had a relationship with somebody who wasn't Ian Bailey at the time of the murder.

Indo story about the witness who was allegedly offered money and cannabis by Gardai investigating the murder:
    A POTENTIAL witness who claimed a garda investigating the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier offered him money and cannabis to assist the probe agreed to provide a tape recording outlining his allegations.

The man agreed to a lengthy taped interview with Ian Bailey (54), who is fighting extradition to France.
    /snip/
    'Witness' made taped interview with Bailey

The man agreed to a lengthy taped interview with Ian Bailey (54), who is fighting extradition to France.

Mr Bailey -- who has repeatedly protested his innocence -- is wanted by Paris-based magistrate Patrick Gachon for questioning and possible trial over the French mother of one's death on December 23, 1996.

The man agreed to make a tape recording in which he claimed that two gardai offered him cash and drugs in return for spending time with Mr Bailey, a former British freelance journalist.

The man claimed one garda was very interested in whether Mr Bailey had said anything incriminating. "They believed I could get on to a familiar wavelength with Ian and actually communicate with him. And hopefully Ian would confess the whole (thing) to me, which I found quite ridiculous," the man said on the recording.

The recorded interview has since come into the possession of both the gardai and one media organisation.
    Gardai have vehemently denied ever offering to provide drugs or money to the man in return for his co-operation with the investigation.

In the recording, the man refers to two officers by name.

The Irish Independent understands his allegations refer to events in February and March 1997, not long after Mr Bailey was arrested for the first time by gardai in west Cork.

The recording itself was made on May 23, 1997.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...y-2973452.html

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    Indo story about the witness who was allegedly offered money and cannabis by Gardai investigating the murder:

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...y-2973452.html
    The Independent was one of several newspapers involved in a libel case taken by Ian Bailey. Overall, the outcome was not favourable to his having been libelled. But it was not a murder trial.

http://www.simonmcaleese.com/asp/art...0&RecordID=190

Subsequently, Marie Farrell, who had claimed she had seen Bailey on a bridge close to the scene, retracted and said that Gardaí had coerced her to make the statement. I remember thinking she was courageous to take the flak from all sides for making this public retraction.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/7244...ave_prefs=true

The Indymedia article is disturbing and, combined with the TV3 report, should surely have been followed up with legal action to resolve the matter in the courts, one way or another -

She confessed on TV3 that she was fed a story by Gardai and made false statements at their command. She was in fear of her life of them she said. Her solicitor Frank Buttimer has been in contact with the solicitor of Ian Bailey about the disclosure and is calling for an investigation into the matter.

The local man who actually was on the bridge at Kealfadda that night is still free and doing well while and those who spotted the sham frame up perpetrated by the Gardai have had many years of harassment and frame up themselves as this writer can attest.

Local vigilantes who tied nooses and threw petrol onto Baileys property have also been busy following, framing and spreading rumours about myself. I was called a “supporter of Bailey” when I wrote the article below and have had a busy time of it with Garda stop and searches of my person, my car and home.

I will be happy to co-operate with any inquiry, Garda or judicial or otherwise, into the Garda investigation of the du Plantier killing and cover-up. I have tried on many occasions to give a statement to five different Gardai about what I know about the person who was at Kealfadda bridge that night but on every occasion they changed the subject, ignored what I was saying or walked away. One of these was a detective Garda and a Garda , two were ordinary Gardai, one of whom was on the scene when the body was discovered, and another was a superintendent. None would refer me to the squad investigating the murder.
    Related Link: http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php...36&sea...ntier
    Add Your Comments >> printable version with comments

In the discussion that follows it was suggested by anonymous commentors that the article was written a) by a Guard and b) by Bailey himself.
    However, the existence of another local suspect has been mentioned in a number of the more recent reports on this.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 28-12-2011 at 07:58 PM.

This case may well collapse today. RTE is reporting that a French document to the effect that the extradition is being sought for the purpose of investigation has been brought to the attention of the court. It's illegal here to extradite someone on that basis.

Very strange case. Will look forward to seeing the whole thing put together.

Quote Originally Posted by FIVE View Post
    Very strange case. Will look forward to seeing the whole thing put together.
    It's a truly appalling case.

The idea that a foreign country should be able to exercise jurisdiction over Irish citizens for matters that took place, or alleged to have taken place, in Ireland is abhorrent.

Once this case is concluded the government should act to ensure that no one ever has to defend himself against this terrible prospect in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by disability student View Post
    Indy article sounds plausible and it's like a jigsaw falling into place. It appears that some local Gardai were betting on the commodity of Bailey. Also failure to inteview the French guy, whose family covered up for him. Hence Gardai never heard of him.

You can't send someone to some country in Europe until the investigation are done and dusted etc. I recall one case in Hungary where an Irish man was arrested when he was extradited at the request of Hungary - case was completed at that time.
    A strange case indeed.Why did Bailey confess to this murder to two individuals? Drink? A craving for excitement maybe.He sued the papers,he lost.

The garda screwed up the crime scene,so it's hard to see the gendarmes making anything of the case.A tragedy as well as a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Donal Og View Post
    A strange case indeed.Why did Bailey confess to this murder to two individuals? Drink? A craving for excitement maybe.He sued the papers,he lost.

The garda screwed up the crime scene,so it's hard to see the gendarmes making anything of the case.A tragedy as well as a mess.
    I'm not at all sure he admitted the murder. Do you have a link to the direct quote?

I think he lost the case because they claimed he was "the chief suspect" not that he did it.

Also, would he have lost the case if the DPP report had been available to him? It was with the Gardai since 2001.

Paul Reynolds reporting on the Garland case on SixOne now seemed to be saying that the High Court ruled that because it was alleged that Garland committed offences here, he couldn't be extradited to answer for them in America.

Implications there for the Bailey case.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    Paul Reynolds reporting on the Garland case on SixOne now seemed to be saying that the High Court ruled that because it was alleged that Garland committed offences here, he couldn't be extradited to answer for them in America.

Another angle on it.
    Both bizarre and fascinating stories.

IMO Bailey's extradition would have a been a polysemic miscarriage of justice.
    We know his story, a part-time English journalist, living near a town in rural Cork, neighbour to the victim, Ms Toscan Du Plantier. Ostensibly an outsider, he 'coalesced' in local law enforcement eyes as the chief suspect-'twas plain as a pikestaff.

So began a decades long inquisition persecuted by the Irish media, our Courts and a powerful, well connected French family.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post

Would also have implications for the likes of Pinochet.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    Would also have implications for the likes of Pinochet.
    Not really, no. Pinochet didn't commit his crimes here so the decision wouldn't apply.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast