Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Libyan Commander Robbed of 200,000 € of "US Intelligence" Cash Out of Dublin Hot Press" Sunday World

Default Re: "Libyan Commander Robbed of 200,000 Euros of "US Intelligence" Cash Out of Dublin Hot Press"

I recall he appeared on the Late Late a few weeks back with his wife and mother in law. I didn't pay much attention to the interview at the time but I remember that his English appeared to be fairly ropey(whether by accident or design) and that he left almost all the talking to his wife and M. in Law.
    It's curious that this story hasn't been picked up by any other media outlets.....

Default Re: "Libyan Commander Robbed of 200,000 Euros of "US Intelligence" Cash Out of Dublin Hot Press"

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyJoe McGillycuddy View Post
    I recall he appeared on the Late Late a few weeks back with his wife and mother in law. I didn't pay much attention to the interview at the time but I remember that his English appeared to be fairly ropey(whether by accident or design) and that he left almost all the talking to his wife and M. in Law.
    It's curious that this story hasn't been picked up by any other media outlets.....
    The health reasons seem real. The Sunday Times said he had diabetes and a related heart problem. And was shot or hit by shrapnel in the leg.

http://milesamoore.com/tag/mehdi-al-harati/

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/...t-2859379.html
    Last edited by C. Flower; 10-11-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    The health reasons seem real. The Sunday Times said he had diabetes and a related heart problem. And was shot or hit by shrapnel in the leg.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/...t-2859379.html
    Not all that serious though as he turned up in Syria 10 months ago and started a militia.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/100895

I wonder who paid his fare this time ?

Mehdi al-Harati’s brigade, known as Liwa al-Umma (Banner of the Nation), is separate to the FSA and its units are scattered throughout the country.

According to Harati, who first came to Syria some 10 months ago for what he says was initially humanitarian work, the brigade emerged after Syrians approached him due to his experience as commander of the Tripoli Brigade in Libya last year. The Tripoli Brigade was one of the first rebel units into the Libyan capital last August.

Liwa al-Umma is made up of more than 6,000 men, 90 per cent of whom are Syrian. The rest are mostly Libyans and other Arabs, including several who live in Ireland.

“We couldn’t stand by in the face of such horror,” said one 21-year-old from Dublin, explaining why he decided to come and fight.

During yesterday’s demonstration, another Irish citizen, Hossam al-Najjar, joined the Syrian speaker on stage. Draped in the flags of both the Syrian and Libyan revolutions, the two men chanted slogans against Assad.

Najjar, who is Harati’s Irish-born brother-in-law, was also a leading member of the Tripoli Brigade.

“We’re here to facilitate and train civilian rebels in Syria – many of whom are doctors, engineers and teachers – using our experience during the Libyan revolution,” Harati told The Irish Times. “We are a group of civilians brought together for a cause. Asked why he decided to join Harati’s brigade instead of the FSA, Abdel Fatouh Dughaim, a local trader, replied: “Liwa al-Umma is fighting for truth and justice with an Islamic background.” Another younger man said he was drawn to Liwa al-Umma because it was well-organised and disciplined.
    Syria’s opposition forces remain poorly equipped compared to Assad’s formidable army but Harati said recent developments, including the rebels’ takeover of several border posts, meant that “new and improved” weapons were now more easily available.

“It’s still a very unbalanced war,” he said.

“And it’s a fight that could go on for much longer although, as we have seen in this region over the past 18 months, regimes can collapse suddenly over just a few days.”
    A pro-US Atlantic Council spokesman was boasting last week that the US would take the whole of Africa for 600 million dollars.

Holding on to it, and the Middle East, would be not so easy.

http://rt.com/programs/crosstalk/mil...eace/comments/
    Last edited by C. Flower; 29-07-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Default Re: Libyan Commander Robbed of 200,000 Euros of "US Intelligence" Cash Out of Dublin Hot Press

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Not wise to keep such large amounts of cash at home.
    Yeah, you'd imagine CIA operatives in Ireland would be better trained. Sadly the place is crawling with them.
    Last edited by riposte; 29-07-2012 at 11:11 PM.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

People Korps Guest

Mahdi al-Harati has popped up in Syria leading a force that he claims is not the FSA but something called "Liwa al-Ummah!"
    They look different from your average Syrian rebel fighter, typically dressed in a scruffy mismatch of military fatigues and civilian clothes. Most of these men are decked out in identical fatigues, boots, and khaki-colored T-shirts. A handful sport dazzling white T-shirts emblazoned with the Liwa al-Ummah crest: a raised fist set against the tri-starred green, white, and black flag adopted by the Syrian rebels
    Given the piece is written by Irish Times writer Mary Fitzgerald it is surprising that the CIA is not mentioned.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article..._libyan_weapon

Quote Originally Posted by People Korps View Post
    Mahdi al-Harati has popped up in Syria leading a force that he claims is not the FSA but something called "Liwa al-Ummah!"

Given the piece is written by Irish Times writer Mary Fitzgerald it is surprising that the CIA is not mentioned

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article..._libyan_weapon

Why?

Posted this in post 33, last week, btw. Rebels reportedly retreating from Aleppo. I have no idea if he is with them.

People Korps Guest

Why?

Posted this in post 33, last week, btw. Rebels reportedly retreating from Aleppo. I have no idea if he is with them.
    Well sloppy not to mention it....anyway it appears he is alive and well and has guys in shiny new uniforms. Re Aleppo I would imagine his type would hold back until the hour if victory was close and pop up to claim it

Talking Re: "Libyan Commander Robbed of 200,000 Euros of "US Intelligence" Cash Out of Dublin Hot Press"

Well sloppy not to mention it....anyway it appears he is alive and well and has guys in shiny new uniforms. Re Aleppo I would imagine his type would hold back until the hour if victory was close and pop up to claim it
    Not to mention what ? The CIA funding?

It is one thing for an idealistic guy to head off to fight for the cause, but to establish a uniformed army of 6,000 and a political party requires a big budget and a very definite strategy.

The article fails to ask where the money comes from or where the party is going, and why it was founded. It seems highly probable that he is being directed and funded by the US, unless the story about the robbery of CIA cash in Dublin is untrue. I have not seen it refuted anywhere.

I thought you might be suggesting the good Mary might be connected herself.

Sad to see innuendo appearing as fact in a thread title on the site.

If someone has proof that the money was from "US intelligence" fair enough. But in the absence of that the title is just gutter press standard.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

People Korps Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post

If someone has proof that the money was from "US intelligence" fair enough. But in the absence of that the title is just gutter press standard.
    You may not be wrong sam this is from Nov 2011 and may be here already http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...307948175.html

THE LIBYAN-Irish man who led the main rebel brigade into Tripoli in August has strongly denied reports that he received funds from US intelligence agents to help topple the Gadafy regime.

Mahdi al-Harati, who resigned as commander of the Tripoli Revolutionary Brigade earlier this month, issued the denial in a video message broadcast on YouTube.

“I have never dealt with intelligence services inside or outside Libya,” Mr Harati said in Arabic. “This revolution was done with God’s help. No foreign parties had anything to do with it apart from Nato striking certain locations and Qatar supporting with everything it has militarily, politically and financially.”

A report in the Sunday World newspaper claimed that Mr Harati had told gardaí investigating a burglary at his Dublin home in early October that a significant sum of money taken by the thieves had originally been given to him by US agents. The paper did not interview Mr Harati.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post

It's a quotation from the gutter press. In quotation marks. The thread fully discusses the source of the story - the Gardaí and the lack of reliability of both sources.

I will add the words Sunday World to the thread title. But the Sunday World report was the reason the thread was started and was the first report that I read explaining who al-Harati is, and that he is from Dublin.

Here's the original Sunday World report.

http://www.sundayworld.com/columnist...x.php?aid=9335

None of the recent reports on al-Harati mention this, to refute it. Can you find any evidence that he or his wife ever refuted this story here in Ireland?

The Irish Times says "the paper (S W) did not interview" al-Harati - the Sunday World said it called to his house and got no comment - could of course mean that no-one was in.

Al-Harati issued his denial in Arabic, on youtube, while in Libya.

“Regime supporters spread rumours that members of this brigade were hired by the CIA or other intelligence services.”
    The brigade, he insisted, had been funded solely by business people from Tripoli and other parts of Libya. It did not receive financial support from the interim body, the National Transitional Council or any foreign authority. “I challenge anyone who can prove otherwise,” he added. “I will list the names of those who supported us.”
    The Irish Times does not appear to have attempted to interview al-Harati, his wife, or the Gardaí on this although they went to the trouble of translating the youtube and basing their report on it, apparently.

“Regime supporters spread rumours that members of this brigade were hired by the CIA or other intelligence services.”
    The brigade, he insisted, had been funded solely by business people from Tripoli and other parts of Libya. It did not receive financial support from the interim body, the National Transitional Council or any foreign authority. “I challenge anyone who can prove otherwise,” he added. “I will list the names of those who supported us.”
    al-Harati has confirmed that the Tripoli Brigage which he formed and led was US backed.

The Tripoli Brigade, as they called themselves, had trained for four months in Libya’s western mountains with French, American and Qatari special forces for this moment

Within weeks of leaving Libya "due to ill health" to go back to Dublin, he has cropped up in Syria having formed a thousands-strong well-equipped and uniformed military organisation, and a political party. I'm sure he will in due course offer a full list of contributors to its funding.

It may well be that he left cash for his wife that was not from a US source - it is understandable that someone with a family, going to a war, would want to provide for them.

He may have told the Gardai that his work was US backed to clear up any misunderstandings they might have had about what he was doing in Libya. I can well imagine them spinning that with an extra twist.

His own account is that he was funded by Libyan businessmen.

From a comment on the youtube, it seems that he did not deny having the money, but if anyone has Arabic, a translation would be appreciated.
    Last edited by C. Flower; 11-08-2012 at 08:30 AM.

People Korps Guest

It's a quotation from the gutter press. In quotation marks. The thread fully discusses the source of the story - the Gardaí and the lack of reliability of both sources.

I will add the words Sunday World to the thread title. But the Sunday World report was the reason the thread was started and was the first report that I read explaining who al-Harati is, and that he is from Dublin.

None of the recent reports on al-Harati mention this, to refute it. Can you find any evidence that he or his wife ever refuted this story here in Ireland?

The Irish Times says "the paper (S W) did not interview" al-Harati - the Sunday World said it called to his house and got no comment - could of course mean that no-one was in.

The Irish Times does not appear to have attempted to interview al-Harati, his wife, or the Gardaí on this although they went to the trouble of translating the youtube and basing their report on it, apparently.

al-Harati has confirmed that the Tripoli Brigage which he formed and led was US backed.

Within weeks of leaving Libya "due to ill health" to go back to Dublin, he has cropped up in Syria having formed a thousands-strong well-equipped and uniformed military organisation, and a political party. I'm sure he will in due course offer a full list of contributors to its funding.

It may well be that he left cash for his wife that was not from a US source - it is understandable that someone with a family, going to a war, would want to provide for them.

He may have told the Gardai that his work was US backed to clear up any misunderstandings they might have had about what he was doing in Libya. I can well imagine them spinning that with an extra twist.

From a comment on the youtube, it seems that he did not deny having the money, but if anyone has Arabic, a translation would be appreciated.

Should the residents of Rathkeale fear an Allepo-esque repose?

Should the residents of Rathkeale fear an Allepo-esque response?
    I think they are used to being blamed for everything.

Kev Bar Guest

I asked but she's acting the slacker.

Can't handle a bit of work and a trip to the seaside.

Lightweight.

Don't make them women like they etc etc

Still, a sad reflection on the site that a Sunday World "exclusive" from an unnamed garda "source" can be a topic of a three page thread.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast