Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Libyan Commander Robbed of 200,000 € of "US Intelligence" Cash Out of Dublin Hot Press" Sunday World

Default "Libyan Commander Robbed of 200,000 € of "US Intelligence" Cash Out of Dublin Hot Press" Sunday World

http://www.petercliffordonline.com/libya-1/

You couldn't make it up.

Al-Harati, an Arabic teacher in Dublin, Ireland for the last 20 years, returned to his Libyan homeland earlier this year and founded the Quatari–trained Tripoli Brigade which was instrumental in the fight for the capital.

In a “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy” story worthy of John Le Carre, a report has emerged about a robbery at the Dublin home of Mahdi al-Harati... Mahdi-al-Harati, Commander of the Tripoli Brigade later became the Deputy Commander of the Tripoli Military Council but resigned last month after reported disagreements on strategy with the NTC.

However, a report from Dublin says that his resignation from the Military Council and a return home to Ireland for “personal reasons” was preceded by a major robbery at his home in the Firhouse suburb of the Irish capital.

His Irish-born wife, Eftaima al-Najar, had apparently received a phone call from her children’s school telling her that one of them had injured a leg and had been taken to hospital.

After spending several hours in the Accident and Emergency Department at the hospital, Eftaima returned home to find that her home had been ransacked and that a substantial amount of Libyan and Egyptian jewellery had been taken along with 2 envelopes containing 200,000 Euros ($275,000).

The Euros, had been hidden in a “hot press” (EDITOR: Which I understand is an Irish/Scottish name for an “airing cupboard”).

Irish police who contacted al-Harati in Libya were told that the 200,000 Euros in 500 Euro notes were part of a consignment of money given to him at some time by an “American Intelligence Agency” while travelling in France, the USA and Qatar the previous month.

Al-Hatari, reportedly, had left 2 envelopes with his wife in case he was killed and taken the balance of the money, intended to support the fight against Gaddafi, back to Libya.

500 Euro notes, which are relatively rare in Ireland, have been turning up in the bank accounts of well known Irish Traveller families in Rathkeale in County Limerick, raising Police suspicions!

Al-Harati has declined to make any comment to the press on the robbery or the source of these vast amounts of money. You can read the full story in the Irish Sunday World HERE:http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/index.php
    Last edited by C. Flower; 11-08-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Default Re: Libyan Commander Robbed of 200,000 Euros of "US Intelligence" Cash Out of Dublin Hot Press

You cant beat the contacts the Sunday World have in the Garda Siochana for securing a scoop.
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

Default Re: Libyan Commander Robbed of 200,000 Euros of "US Intelligence" Cash Out of Dublin Hot Press

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
    You cant beat the contacts the Sunday World have in the Garda Siochana for securing a scoop.
    I would take the Rathkeale aspect of the story with a pinch of salt.

Not wise to keep such large amounts of cash at home.

Even in the Hot press.

The teaching of Arabic must be very lucrative.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Flower View Post
    I would take the Rathkeale aspect of the story with a pinch of salt.
    But lap up the rest ...
    Do not rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world has stood up and stopped the bastard, the (female dog) that bore him is in heat again. Bertolt Brecht

But lap up the rest ...
    Do you have an alternative version?

Or an explanation why the Gardaí would make this up?

Do you have an alternative version?

Who knows.

I've heard some strange stuff from them in the past.

Why do you think that the US would be funding the Tripoli Brigade after the fall of Gaddafi ? I thought that all their stooges were in the TNC?

Why do you think that the US would be funding the Tripoli Brigade after the fall of Gaddafi ? I thought that all their stooges were in the TNC?

It was before, "reportedly." He left it for his wife.

More here on the brigade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripoli_Brigade

I'm not sure why your bothered about this. Surely mass bombing by NATO is more significant than a few hundred euro, from the yanks, if that was the case ?

The Gardaí, imo, are capable of making up the entire works of Shakespeare, and Marlowe. But it is hard to see why they would cook this up, unless purely for a tip in exchange for a tip off.

It was before, "reportedly." He left it for his wife.
    Well according to the Sunday World (based on their Garda information) he received the money the previous month and it was to help defeat Gaddafi ...

A few wrinkles in that story in need of ironing.

Astonished officers made contact with Mahdi al-Harati who told them that he had travelled to France, the United States and Qatar the previous month and that representatives of an American intelligence agency had given him a significant amount of money to help in the efforts to defeat Gaddafi. He said he left two envelopes with his wife in case he was killed and took the rest of the cash with him when he went back to Libya.

I'm not sure why your bothered about this.

Wasn't it your OP?

The Gardaí, imo, are capable of making up the entire works of Shakespeare, and Marlowe. But it is hard to see why they would cook this up, unless purely for a tip in exchange for a tip off.
    Well, we have different approaches. Unless I have independent verification I would never believe [1] The Gardai [2] The Sunday World and [3] most of all what the Gardai tell the Sunday World.

You believe them both when it suits you

Are any of the more "quality" news media in Ireland running with the story?

What a load of tosh.

I find it difficult to believe that a Libyan commander would have reported such a thing to the cops.
    Plus, if the money was ever there, surely he has questions to answer?
    It wasn't going to contribute to the fall of the colonel if it was in his hot press.
    "This isn't working,
    My middle-brow f**ker"

Well according to the Sunday World (based on their Garda information) he received the money the previous month and it was to help defeat Gaddafi ...

A few wrinkles in that story in need of ironing.

Wasn't it your OP?

Well, we have different approaches. Unless I have independent verification I would never believe [1] The Gardai [2] The Sunday World and [3] most of all what the Gardai tell the Sunday World.

You believe them both when it suits you

Are any of the more "quality" news media in Ireland running with the story?
    I defer to your experience of the Sunday World, and agree that the story looks like total nonsense. There is no way that he was jetting around the globe at the time suggested. Taking some kind of affront at the idea that he
    used cash from the US is kind of silly though, under the circumstances. The entire operation he was involved in relied very heavily on NATO and US resources.

From what I can see of al-Harati, he looks like a decent man and the sort of person who should be involved in the future of Libya. It appears he had a falling out with the "NTC stooges."

http://www.wpxi.com/news/29414624/detail.html

Complicating the matter was the resignation Friday of Mahdi al-Harati, the deputy head of the Tripoli Military Council, a senior National Transitional Council official said. "He resigned due to differences with the NTC on the planning of the security of Tripoli. We are the official governing body and the efforts of the revolutionaries that fought for the liberation are appreciated but the command must be centralized," Mohamed Sayeh told CNN.
    He said NTC officials were trying to get that message across "in a democratic, brotherly manner."
    Al-Harati will continue as commander of the Tripoli brigades, said Fathi al-Wersali, a senior member of the Tripoli Military Council. "There is overlapping in the role of the Tripoli military council and the NTC," he said. "A clear mechanism has not been finalized, which leaves us not clear on how to move forward in securing Tripoli."
    Last edited by C. Flower; 10-11-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Taking some kind of affront at the idea that he
    used cash from the US is kind of silly though, under the circumstances. The entire operation he was involved in relied very heavily on NATO and US resources.

From what I can see of al-Harati, he looks like a decent man and the sort of person who should be involved in the future of Libya. It appears he had a falling out with the "NTC stooges."
    I know nothing at all about the man and he could have been taking money from anyone and everyone for all I know. What I was taking affront at was legs being afforded to a story apparently provided by the Gardai to the Sunday World, for which there is no other evidence. The Embassy in Ballsbridge could be behind it for all you or I know ... I'm sure they are on good terms with the top brass in the boys and girls in blue. It is all very odd ... but was best left in the Sunday World until some other reliable information one way or another emerged.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast