Thread: No Recruitment Embargo for Armed Forces....

Default No Recruitment Embargo for Armed Forces....

It comes as no surprise that Alan Shatter is being given free reign to recruit into the military, in spite of the employment embargo against public sector recruitment.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...06.html?via=mr

Default Re: No Recruitment Embargo for Armed Forces....

Pity we didn't have one for TDs
    Quite strange this given the cuts Shatter will have to implement in both his depts

As I posted before.

The army will be needed to enforce the Troikas' diktats and back up the police.
    Later they will be "peacekeepers" in Iran/Pakistan/Syria.

Looking at it, I would not mind if there was a re-balancing of forces.
    In the UK during the cold snap the army were out on the street taking care of ice, snow etc.
    They did not reach the same operational capability here at all.

I have always said smaller army, larger naval service and expanded aircorps.

If there is a shift in recruitment, we should look at the New Zealand model.
    It is an isolated geo-political country with a small population.
    In terms of equipment we should - particularly in Naval matters - look to Denmark.

The NZ army is far smaller, better equipped and better run than ours, with about 4500 regulars, 2500 reserve and a far smaller officer corps.

This still allows them to provide peace keepers etc overseas

Their Navy has about 2,200 regulars and maintain a far more effective and larger fleet than we have, including an airwing - always a problem in Ireland for aircorps/NS interoperability.
    We are after all an Island.

Their airforce has about 2500 personnel, and maintain maritime patrol and medium lift helicopters which we lack capability in.

Their entire armed forces - regulars - amounts to about 9000 personnel, with an annual expenditure of 1% GDP

We on the other hand have close to 9,500 with an annual expenditure of 0.7% GDP but I feel we spend far too much on an ineffective army, too small a navy and an Aircorps that is at this point is not at all effective.

Default Maidir Le: No Recruitment Embargo for Armed Forces....

Not strange at all. Shatter presumably sees himself as a Pinochet in waiting.

If we had to have a force, a navy at least be able to look after our fish stocks, from the conservation point of view