PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Journalists in Haiti

C. Flower
13-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Posted Feb 5th 2010 on Tok

Is there any journalistic cliche left unturned in Haiti ? "On the brink of collapse" "One last dramatic rescue" "Violence flared" (2 men tussle over a bag of rice).
In the face of the refusal of the Haitians to comply with the negative stereotypes, "patience" and "hope" are now being peddled by the yard, particularly by the US television media.
Thank god for the few real journalists like Lara Marlowe who actually go and have a look for hour after hout, and tell us what they can see.
a devastated city, with millions of people waiting in growing need, for food, water and medical treatment.

C. Flower
13-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Juan Reley posted

UN assures that it will be 10 years minimum to reclaim "normal".

Journalists know the true story - news editors dictate the line.

C. Flower
13-04-2010, 11:40 PM
People Korps posted 29 Jan 2010

I suppose if they plant coca they will get a jump start

johnfás
14-04-2010, 12:04 AM
If you are prepared to listen to religious sermons... you can hear a really interesting accounts of Haiti on the sermons at Wesley's Chapel, a Methodist Church in London since the earthquake hit.

The Minister at Wesley's Chapel, Rev Dr Leslie Griffith, who is a Labour Peers, was a Methodist Minister in Haiti throughout the 1970s and is a renowned expert on the country. He wrote his PhD thesis on Haitian history and he is the biographer of Jean-Bertrand Aristide, who was President of Haiti from 94-96 and 01-04. Aristide claims that the USA supported a coup against him.

You can listen to the sermons online here.

http://www.wesleyschapel.org.uk/audio.html

C. Flower
14-04-2010, 12:06 AM
If you are prepared to listen to religious sermons... you can hear a really interesting accounts of Haiti on the sermons at Wesley's Chapel, a Methodist Church in London since the earthquake hit.

The Minister at Wesley's Chapel, Rev Dr Leslie Griffith, who is a Labour Peers, was a Methodist Minister in Haiti throughout the 1970s and is a renowned expert on the country. He wrote his PhD thesis on Haitian history and he is the biographer of Jean-Bertrand Aristide, who was President of Haiti from 94-96 and 01-04. Aristide claims that the USA supported a coup against him.

You can listen to the sermons online here.

http://www.wesleyschapel.org.uk/audio.html

That sounds very interesting - there's quite a bit on Aristide linked in estouxim's posts.

I'm also interested to see Wesleyan radicalism still alive.

RighteousAnger
14-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Haiti is geographically very close to the USA, and has in recent years been the source of many migrants fleeing the self-created poverty of Haiti and trying to immigrate to the USA. These migrants wash up in Florida where they add to the general squalor of the place.

Thus, America has very good reasons to be active in Haiti trying to help turn it into a functioning country.

C. Flower
14-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Haiti is geographically very close to the USA, and has in recent years been the source of many migrants fleeing the self-created poverty of Haiti and trying to immigrate to the USA. These migrants wash up in Florida where they add to the general squalor of the place.

Thus, America has very good reasons to be active in Haiti trying to help turn it into a functioning country.

Why don't you try this thread, where you will be on topic, and find out why you are wrong.

http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?p=16442#post16442

johnfás
14-04-2010, 12:13 AM
That sounds very interesting - there's quite a bit on Aristide linked in estouxim's posts.

I'm also interested to see Wesleyan radicalism still alive.

Griffiths has a fantastic mind and in my opinion is also a fantastic preacher. Alot of people either love him or hate him. I suspect that is because he is rather of the Donald Soper mould.